[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was it a mistake?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: verdun.png (22KB, 750x690px) Image search: [Google]
verdun.png
22KB, 750x690px
Was it a mistake?
>>
Only the red and the southern yellow.
>>
>>1432653
Gavelkind is always a mistake.
>>
>>1432714
It makes sense in tribal societies where the holdings of the tribe as a whole are small and you want to prevent infighting but when the territory being split covers vast territories which would be much better if they were collectively ruled together then, yeah, it's not so great.
>>
>>1432653
>Was it a mistake?

The mistake was not enforcing migrations. Breast-men to the West, leg-men to the middle and ass-men to the east.
>>
>>1432948
That would have been wise.
>>
>>1432653
>Gavelkind
Was it autism?
>>
>>1432653
>Westphalia seperated from the rest of Saxony
>Thuringia borders Lorraine
>Franconia is tiny
What the hell is going on here?
>>
File: 1364408005839.jpg (42KB, 720x439px) Image search: [Google]
1364408005839.jpg
42KB, 720x439px
>>1432653
>Provence
>doesn't include the Provence
>>
>>1432914
>much better if collectively ruled

doubt.jpg
>>
>>1432653
yes, it was a mistake.

proof of this is found in the fact that there wasn't a single half-decent carolingian ruler after charlemagne
>>
>
>
>
of course it was a mistake
>>
The mistake was Lotharingia. The best outcome would have been for the empire to be partitioned along ancient Gaul/Germania lines. This would have spared France centuries of work reconquering lost land, and it would have given Germany a more solid ethnic basis which might have kept it from falling apart.
>>
>>1432653
How did Saxony manage to go from being just south of Denmark to just north of Bohemia?
>>
>>1433448
I concur.

hurr durr dark age dopes making up new boundaries when they had perfectly good ancient Roman and Celtic ones to use
>>
>>1433496
Perhaps if Louis the Pious had had two sons instead of three, history might have worked out very differently.
>>
>>1432653
It was the greatest mistake in the history of Western Europe.
>tfw no centralized, French-speaking blob
>>
File: 1468819834867.jpg (35KB, 445x604px) Image search: [Google]
1468819834867.jpg
35KB, 445x604px
>>1432653
Flanders seems wait to big and Friesland is totally wrong.

Where did you get this map from anon?!
>>
Rate the following succession systems
>Gavelkind
>Ultimogeniture
>Primogeniture
>Elective
>Tanistry
>>
>>1433968
Elective
Tanistry
Primo
Gavelkind
Ultimo
>>
>>1433404
This, gavelkind fucks with good geography.
>>
>>1433968
Primo
Ultimo
Gavelkind
Tanistry
Elective
>>
File: 1395984369879.jpg (16KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
1395984369879.jpg
16KB, 320x200px
Fuck off you CK2 faggots literally nobody uses the term gavelkind reeeeeeeee
>>
>>1433450
Niedersaschen is still a thing though. Saxonies still stretch from the sea to Chzechia.
>>
>>1433968
Tanistry
Primo
Elective
Ultimo
Gravelkind
>>
what happened in medieval times to the nobles who didnt inherit anything because they werent firstborn?
I guess some could become bishops, but not all
>>
>>1434085
It's so easy to stop CK2fags, for example, they say Gavelking, or they matrilineal mariage.
It's even easier to spot them on got related stuff because they're always talking about >muh claims and >muh succession laws
>>
>>1432653
Obviously yes. What good can ever come out of splitting empires? It only ever weakens them and put them in competition with each other.
>>
>>1432653
Lothringia always seemed so fucked up to me. Why did anybody think that 200 km wide and 2 000 km long nation uniting completely different tribes, cultures and languages could work properly with their technology?
>>
>>1432948
>I'm a leg man and I live in the middle already
Fuck bringing me more competition, just relocate the women to me.
>>
>>1434349
They didn't, really

Lotharingia or "Middle Francia" was basically an attempt to unite all the best shit into one share for the primary Frankish king. He got the original "heart" of the Frankish state and Charlemagne's primary capital (Aachen), and since as the senior king he was also emperor it made sense for him to also have jurisdiction over Rome, and thus Italy. Burgundy/Provence was added to make those two "capitals" - the Frankish capital, and the [Latin] Christian capital - be part of a geographically continuous territory.

The Frankish empire was in theory a single, indivisible empire that just happened to be ruled by more than one king, just like the old Roman empire was a single empire that just happened to be ruled by two emperors. Lotharingia wasn't intended to be its own state as such, it was just the land within the empire which was under the senior king's direct authority. Unfortunately for the Carolingians, the idea of the united Frankish empire didn't last that long, and "Middle Francia" was soon carved up by other Carolingians and local dynasts (like the Bosonids in Provence).
>>
>>1434349
Lotharingia is literally the best of Europe.

Netherlands, plus lands along the Rhine, plus, plus Switzerland, Lyon, and Northern Italy.
Even nowadays that is the wealthiest region of Europe.
>>
Without hindsight, ruling areas with a king educated and raised in their culture seemed fucking brilliant
>>
Why doesn't CK2 just call it partibile inheritance?
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.