[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who built the megalithic structures in the pacific? On Malden

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

Who built the megalithic structures in the pacific? On Malden island, which has no trees, no fresh water, and no natives upon European arrival, there are stone temples and basalt roads that run straight into the ocean. So who built them? I find this subject really interesting, pic is of Nan Madol ruins on Pohnpei, the 'pacifc venice'.
>>
The Polynesians
>>
>>1423861
I also find that shit fascinating, OP. Have any good book recommendations for these that discuss the archaeology?

Also, please post any further photos/info you have.
>>
>>1423861

Polynesian settlers. They had sunk wells, which have since become dry/brackish, so it seems there had been a fresh water aquifer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malden_Island#Prehistoric_ruins
>>
File: 64466355.jpg (44KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
64466355.jpg
44KB, 500x333px
>>1423887
Yeah, I read about the wells. But there are no large tree species on the island, and where did they get the stone from? Take a look at the pic of the island. I think there could have been a larger multi-island pacifc civilization that we don't know about, that could have organised all this.
>>
>>1423902

Has any paleobotanical work been done to determine that there have NEVER been any large trees on the island? Because otherwise, it could be like the dried up wells.

It should also be easy to determine the origin of the stone used, so I'd be interested to read to see if tests have been carried out?

Problem is a google search gets a load of bullshit 'unsolved mysteries' shit that ignores that wells have been found and studies made into how large a population could have lived there.

IF there have NEVER been large trees, IF the stone is NOT locally quarried, then it becomes far more interesting - because it would require an unbelievable amount of effort to import stone and maintain supply lines sufficient to support a population large enough to build these structures over a couple of generations.

Not being a dick - just, if you know where I can read about this, please give me a link/book recommendation.
>>
Maybe they pulled an Easter Island, cut all the trees down and died.
>inb4 they didn't cut down ALL the trees.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.