[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The American Civil War

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: Lee.jpg (134KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
Lee.jpg
134KB, 620x413px
What else could Lee have done at Gettysburg? If he maintained a defensive position, all the Union army had to do was wait and starve him out. Vicksburg was also about to fall to Grant's forces, so the South needed a major victory that would've made the Union's victory in the West meaningless. If Lee simply moved his forces back behind the lines in Virginia, the public probably would've viewed it as a Southern defeat. From my point of view, the man had little choice but to attack.
>>
>>1400279

Lee could've pulled his troops out of Gettysburg in the dead of night and moved them up towards Philadelphia or Washington and forced the Union to chase after them as Longstreet repeatedly suggested.

>Alternatively, he could've moved his army to retake some of the Virginian ports like Norfolk or forgone an offensive altogether and sent part of his Army to deal with Grant at Vicksburg (he did just that at Chickamunga).
>>
>>1400279
Probably nothing that /his/ armchair generals could figure out
>>
literally nothing
>>
Attacked culp's hill on the first day
>>
File: Isaac_R._Trimble.jpg (17KB, 324x354px) Image search: [Google]
Isaac_R._Trimble.jpg
17KB, 324x354px
>>1402189
Give me one division, and I will take that hill.
>>
Concentrate on taking the hills? Not a full frontal assault on foe that out numbers, out guns and is fortified. Perhaps just fall back and scorch earth to harm morale?
>>
File: battle of little round top.jpg (349KB, 1400x693px) Image search: [Google]
battle of little round top.jpg
349KB, 1400x693px
>>1402219

Give me one brigade and I will take that hill.
>>
>>1402703
Give me one regiment and I will take that hill
>>
>>1402189
>>1402219
>>1402703
>>1403002
https://youtu.be/ldveHUc5vUs
>>
Gettysburg is largely irrelevant, the war was lost at Antietam, Lee's retreat from both the battlefront and the North gave Lincoln the confidence to finally put the emancipation proclamation on the table, after previously suffering a string of defeats since 1861.

Lee's retreat shattered British confidence in the Confederacy, when they were weeks from attempting to begin negotiating a settlement along with France, and the Emancipation Proclamation furthered this by being bake to portray the war intentionally as an anti-slavery war, where the largely anti-slavery British public would never agree to intervention on the side of slavery. Eventually the Confederacy was denied British material aid entirely.

If anything the Battle of Atlanta proved to be more decisive, owing to how close the victory was to the 1864 elections.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.