[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Soviet treatment of concentration camp survivors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: auschwitz.jpg (296KB, 1180x787px) Image search: [Google]
auschwitz.jpg
296KB, 1180x787px
How did the Soviets treat the survivors of concentration camps, or even western allies POW?
>>
The post-WWII period both east and west was pretty tragic. The holocaust survivors were treated better by both the Soviets and AmeriBrits but still a lot of people died in the aftermath of WWII or remained displaced for years afterwards.

The Soviet sphere was more damaged by the war with led to more deaths and the whatnot. But the Soviets did try to do well by them, of course this meant allocating food to them after a war that led to the destruction of much of the arable farmland of the Soviet Union and the rest of Eastern Europe and food lines and even a decent sized famine in the Soviet Union. Due to the fact that so much of the farmland was decimated and Stalin chose to feed his new allies as opposed to feed his own people (This was of course to keep the East from falling to US dependance with the Marshall Plan)
>>
>>1400161
pretty much this, you can shorten down Allied treatment of camp survivors as "as well as they could provide"

The Soviets transformed Auschwitz's remaining buildings into hospital units, as transporting them to another city would likely kill many of them mid-journey, and treated the remaining prisoners to health from there.

After which, the camp served as an NKVD post before being turned over the Polish in 1947, where it was made a memorial/museum.
>>
>>1400150
80% of Germans died, today 2 million Jews claim to be survivors of the camps of Germans.
>>
File: doubt.png (29KB, 300x162px) Image search: [Google]
doubt.png
29KB, 300x162px
>>1400522

>80% of a country of 80 million people died in a war that killed 60 million total.
>>
>>1400150

If you were a regular civilian, as well as a country that lost 1/6th of it's population and much of it's infrastructure could.

If you were a known anti-Communist, a perceived traitor (Soviet POWs), or just someone the Soviets thought would be trouble in the future, no better than the Krauts.
>>
>>1400150
Not everyone in a concentration camp was there for the same reasons. I understand that Soviet troops weren't considered prisoners of war by Germany, and so many of them were sent to labor concentration camps. The Soviets took a dim view of their comrades who had surrendered and I would bet they weren't treated as well as others. Probably the same for German citizens who ended up in camps, either for being criminals or homosexuals.

I'm reading a book right now about the red orchestra, German communists who spied for the Soviet Union, many of whom ended up in camps. Directly after the war they weren't recognized as being different than any other East German, but later the propaganda value of their stories was recognized and they received some praise, but only for fictionalized accounts of their exploits that had to jibe with Russian views of their actions, rather than what they actually did (ie nothing that made NKVD look bad could be published, nor anything that would make it look as though the Russia couldn't have easily done without them.)

I've never heard anything about them abusing Allied POWs in any way. I imagine that would have been a big mistake, considering tensions at the time.
>>
>>1402455
Homosexuality was a crime in Germany and the USSR after the war. I believe all homosexual prisoners had to serve out their sentences in standard penitentiaries.
>>
>>1402455
>The Soviets took a dim view of their comrades who had surrendered and I would bet they weren't treated as well as others
yeah, Stalin's "not one step back" order led to all soviet PoW to be classified as traitors by default

even those who were taken prisoner unconscious and couldn't even kill themselves
>>
>>1402170
Of the Germans in camps you fucking idiot

Read
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.