[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How historically accurate is this movie?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: Agora_Poster.jpg (160KB, 724x970px) Image search: [Google]
Agora_Poster.jpg
160KB, 724x970px
How historically accurate is this movie?
>>
It's basically completely ficticious apart from the names of some of the characters. Google "Armarium Magnum Agora", since actually linking to it gets caught in the spam filter.
>>
>>1392262
>How historically accurate
Not
>>
>>1392280
I did not know about this. It's usually hard to get me pissy about entertainment but between this and Gods of Egypt I actually feel a bit salty.
>>
>>1392305
It's just a movie.
>>
It's based on a real horrific even perpetuated by Christians, but it still extremely distorted by propaganda, like the Christians screaming, "Burning the scrolls!" and burning all the books and stuff.
>>
>>1393680
Movies and shows and games and books are what culture is made of. Things like this movie which rehashes a bunch of lies are the reason most people, even most people on this board, continue to believe and spread those lies. There are few things that can do as much damage to popular perceptions as a popular movie.
>>
>>1393693
The Christians really did that anon.
>>
>>1392262

Nothing is known about Hypatia because the Christians burned everything. The movie gets the setting right and is full of nice authentic touches, but the story itself is basically fiction.
>>
I fapped to the scene in which she is killed
>>
>>1393880
Christians burned works preaching faulty Christian doctrine, that's about it.
>>
>>1394388
>>1393922

Those two posts seem to be conflicting.
>>
>>1394414
Such works are not in the film, they're just senselessly burning books of philosophy and science in the film.
>>
Go check out History Buff on youtube! The review was really good!
>>
>>1394414

The Christian is lying, as they always do. Even most Christian historians agree Hypatia's work was destroyed by the early Church.
>>
this >>1393721
films like "the 300" make it obvious they are fiction, but this masquerades as actual history
>>
>>1394421
You mean biased right
Just check the comments and the Reddit response thread
>>
>>1393721
It is not the specific job of movies to teach history.
If people wanted a history debate or show they would go and watch that. IN a movie most plebs usually look for dramatization.
>>
>>1395564
Well clearly most people didn't get that memo because everyone I know who saw that movie came out convinced that rabid science-hating Christians really burned down the Great Library of Alexandria.
>>
File: thechart.jpg (40KB, 544x484px) Image search: [Google]
thechart.jpg
40KB, 544x484px
>>1394421
It really isn't. He unironically believes in this chart.
>>
ITT: backpedaling Christcucks.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.