[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many of you nerds have a history degree and are pursuing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: The-Virtue-Continuum.png (130KB, 692x625px) Image search: [Google]
The-Virtue-Continuum.png
130KB, 692x625px
How many of you nerds have a history degree and are pursuing to become a lawyer?

Pic unrelated
>>
>>1189125
>getting a degree in history
>pursuing to become a lawyer
l
e
l
>>
>>1189125
That's what my father did and he's warned me from it ever since.
>>
Where can you become lawyer by studying history instet of law?
By the way am studying history and public law
>>
>pursuing to become a lawyer
Hell no, I'm not crazy
>>
One of the most basic bitch coward paths imo
>>
>>1189301
In the US you can enter a law school coming from any background in your undergraduate but obviously some majors are more suited than others. Funnily enough Criminal Justice and Political Science majors fare worse getting into law schools than Philosophy, Math, and Economics majors
>>
>>1189125

I did classics & archaeology, went on to a JD, then an LL.M. in taxation and estate planning.
>>
Seems like the only reason people get into Law is because of its reputation as a good, respectable career choice that pays well.

And hey that's fine, of course from what I hear from peers that have passed the gauntlet of law school shit ain't so rosy on the outside.
>>
>>1189315
So Paralegal -> Law is a no-go?
>>
>>1189334
Seems to be the case. Prelaw degrees apparently don't help at all, either in getting admitted to law school or performing better than peers that didn't do prelaw once you DO get in. Looks like a well balanced program of philosophy, logic, debate, math, economics and literature is better than memorizing Supreme Court decisions for example.

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/articles/2012/10/29/future-law-students-should-avoid-prelaw-majors-some-say
>>
>>1189334

Stick with paralegal.

A good paralegal can more (and find employment MUCH easier) than a law school grad. Even after an attorney has a few years of practice, unless she/he has joined biglaw (which is very difficult to get into) or managed to build a very good solo practice -- and these are in the minority among experienced lawyers -- paralegals are always in high demand, and often make more than the average atty wages, even for experienced attorneys.

Get your paralegal cert. Work will be less stressful, and you'll generally be paid as well, sometimes more. And paralegals are ALWAYS in demand.
>>
>>1189125
this pic is soothing to me
am i autistic?
>>
>>1189352
4 classes away from getting my paralegal cert.

Can confirm. All my teachers (who are attorneys) are saying in this day and age paralegals are in high demand. Especially with consumers demanding more and more transparency with their cost; why would I pay a firm that has its $300 an hour attorneys do research as opposed to having a paralegal do it for $30 an hour.

I know some paralegals making 80k a year in corporate law offices.

Also, if your a beast of a paralegal and loyal to your attorney, they might assist of even completely pay for your law school and at that point in time you will be specialized enough in one field to be very good at it and make real dough.

Spending 8 years in your 20s to become an attorney is not the way to go anymore unless you have connections and an insane work ethic and (more than likely) a slight addiction to amphetamines.

The way to go is paralegal cert------>work your ass off and pay your dues and get comfy amount of money and connections and experience---------->law school.
>>
File: 1463093127451.png (328KB, 418x479px) Image search: [Google]
1463093127451.png
328KB, 418x479px
>>1189327
>I hear from peers that have passed the gauntlet of law school shit ain't so rosy on the outside.
Elaborate?
>>
>>1189386
Really hard to find a job, hours are long and hard, pay isn't that great for the effort and tears you put in, etc.

Once you make it you make it but it's harder than most of them expected.
>>
I've always heard classics is the best degree for law school.
>>
Law schools rejected more people in 2011 than applied in 2013. There are whole books and myriad reports on how over produced JDs are. Pay is less than most teachers make on average. Look it up.

If you're not going to a top ten school for cheap than don't bother.
>>
>>1189125
Nobody
>>
File: yale-law-school.jpg (198KB, 1024x731px) Image search: [Google]
yale-law-school.jpg
198KB, 1024x731px
>>1189125

I double majored in English and Econ and then went to law school.

I'm glad I did it, but it's not worth it unless you can go to a top school, or go to a decent regional school for free or nearly free.

It made sense for me because I didn't really have great opportunities coming out of college, and law school has opened a lot of doors for me. Even if I leave law the knowledge I gained and the connections I made will be invaluable.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.