[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dumb question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: image.png (874KB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
874KB, 1334x750px
Was there a correlation to the Roman Empire abolishing Judaism as state religion, replacing it with Chrisitianty, Jewish rebellion, and the collapse of the empire?
>>
>>1085922
Judaism was never the Empires state religion
>>
Rome having a string of internal conflicts and misfortunes made christianity more appealing.
>>
>>1085922
>Roman Empire abolishing Judaism as state religion
>>
>>1085922

Taking Judea at all was the problem. Judea was and still is a shitty province and drain on resources. I mean we send how many billions per year to a country we don't even own or enslave?

Better to let the Persians keep it, the jews can go full alqaeda 1.0 aka macaabees, and Real Romans keep that shit at arm's length.
>>
OP, do you mean the destruction of the second temple and the attempt to replace it with Roman gods?
Because that was centuries before Constantine and the collapse.
Regardless, you reek of conspiracy theorist paranoia.
>>
File: vespasiancoin.jpg (35KB, 510x266px) Image search: [Google]
vespasiancoin.jpg
35KB, 510x266px
>>1085922
No, because:
>abolishing Judaism as state religion
and
>replacing it with Chrisitianty
didn't happen.

Initially, the Romans persecuted Christians far more than the joos. The Romans respected the religion of the joos out of being ancient, this didn't mean they wouldn't do things the joos and Christians would find blasphemous.

You establish a king for the joos. Then some fanatics come up with a growing movement claiming somebody else does, you have a problem, of the political kind.

The Jewish-Roman wars were a disaster to the joos far more than the Romans, their dominance in the Levant returned only with the founding of the State of Israel, they were scattered all over the Mediterranean and Mesopotamia.

What the destruction of the Temple did was accelerate the already ongoing schisms and reorganizations between the sects of Judaism, cleanly dividing the Christians from the joos, and ultimately starting what we now know as Rabbinical Judaism.

Still, the Book of Revelation was written in response of this, by a very butthurt joo. The woman sitting on seven hills (Rev 17:9) is the goddess Roma, the personification of the city of Rome itself - coins are the closest thing to a mainstream mass media in antiquity and she's depicted in pic related.

The Book of Revelation is indeed about the downfall of Rome.

By the way, it doesn't even matter what "John" was writing about, people with their temple gone and being executed for their rebellion are going to think it's doomsday, and interpret it accordingly.

The following Centuries of Christian ignorance and intolerance displayed in fighting the universalistic, open Roman religion are just one layer on top of other internal conflicts the falling Empire got itself into.

But all this ISIS-like iconoclasm, homophobia, etc. all this religious terrorism that swept the Empire - well, what was left of it - originates in the Hebrew Bible. I wonder what'd have happened if that Semitic religion had a different message.
>>
No. At worst, the appeal of Christendom was a SYMPTOM of an empire going through a ton of problems. The whole thing was unsustainable in the long term from early on. Why is this so hard to understand?
>>1085989
But without Judeea, Medit wasn't secured from the East, so not a good idea.
>>
>>1086014
>*claiming somebody else is the king of the joos
>>
>>1086017
Nah man, my border's at the Euphrates. The jews can live as independent barbarians, like the Isaurians.
>>
>>1086014
The Roman religion is so universalistic that when Caesar goes to conquer the Gauls, he says they worship Mercury, Venus, etc.

The Roman interprets the foreign gods as his own, and sometimes goes out of his way and brings them back home, like Isis (the good one, from Egypt, not the acronym from Iraq and Syria).

Only the Hindus are comparable to this degree of universalism and tolerance.

What the Romans cared about was the Pax Deorum: all divinity of all religions and all peoples being worshipped and pleased with Civilization and its citizens.

The Romans thought this "Christus" guy could have been yet another addition to their ever-expanding collection of protectors.

Constantine, the first Christian Emperor, believed this was the case, as the Edict of Milan shows.

But the open polytheisms born out of the Proto-Indo-European religion, and the intolerant monotheisms of Semitic origins could never mix. They were never meant to.
>>
>>1086014
>>1085993
>>1085939

Thanks guis, I apologize for asking a question on a subject I know nothing about. They don't teach about the Roman Empire in school and movies depict the Romans as degenerate barbarians. From a few points I remember I thought that some Roman emperor was converted to a Christian and made Christianity the official religion of the empire. I'll have to read more about it and it's history, it really sounds quite interesting.
>>
>>1086104
>From a few points I remember I thought that some Roman emperor was converted to a Christian
Constantine I

>and made Christianity the official religion of the empire
Theodosius I

>movies depict the Romans as degenerate barbarians
I suppose happy gentlemen were not meant to be the target audience.

>They don't teach about the Roman Empire in school
Then act as a reasonable, educated person would, and burn it to the ground.
>>
>>1086148
>Then act as a reasonable, educated person would, and burn it to the ground.
I like you.
>>
>>1085922
Which movie?
>>
File: his_burn_your_school.png (25KB, 457x90px) Image search: [Google]
his_burn_your_school.png
25KB, 457x90px
>>1086148
>>1086172
>>
>>1085989
>Better to let the Persians keep it,
>Giving Persians access to mare nostrum

great idea desu. Nothing bad ever happened the last time that happened.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.