[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jobs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

How much does getting an entry level job in the field suck?

And how much will the job suck?
>>
As long as you're actually getting to design shit. I was hired as a graphic designer for a vitamin company and all I got to design was the email blast. The rest was printing already existing label designs and data entry. I left after 3 weeks once I found something better.

Currently working as a graphic designer for a nutrition supplement manufacturer. It's not where I want to stay long term, because I've learned I hate the health/supplement industry, but at least I get to design for clients instead of doing data entry like at the last job.
>>
Wonder how many people on this board actualy work as full tine graphic designers.

Please share your job experiences.
>>
>>314848
i used to. i worked my ass off from high school on to get the best training and build my portfolio
i got an entry level job in print adverting (what i had hoped to do) and was soon "managing" the shop (in quotes because although i did literally everything and kept the shop running smoothly, i was never promoted or anything)
i did huge successful runs (ie millions) for companies you've heard of and i never earned more than $30000. it was absolutely soul crushing and after 6 years of it i quit and never wanted to touch a printer again
my personal opinion is that too many people are willing to work for free for their to be any competition any more. that's why you see bad, amateurish design everywhere. it's the norm because it's free.
it's sad and frustrating but i've had a few years and a new unrelated career change that i love (and make money at) so now i can take a few design jobs a year that i'm legit interested in and i'm much happier
>>
>>314891

My story is sort of the same at the moment.

I've been working at a sign shop doing all graphic design and productions.

My responsibilities are:

>proofing for customers (notice how I don't call them clients), although we do have a few clients we get that reoccur.

>Handling anything to do with production means/methods. Getting files print ready, also printing in-house with a Mutoh VJ1204.

>Cut a lot of vinyl for signs, and most of them are boring af apart from the exceptional creative customer.

I'm giving thought about switching up career paths, finding a more high profile print/sign shop, or going freelance.

Apart from the Graphic Design, which can be fulfilling most of the time. I hate my boss as he is 74 years old, stubborn, and a piece of shit.

I don't get paid shit ($30k after tax) and no health insurance. I work at UPS part-time and collect on that health insurance to compensate.
>>
Entry level jobs nowadays suck even more than they did 20 years ago when I started. It just seems that 98% of the graphic design industry is saturated with would be photoshoppe artistés. Anyone and their grandma who has a bit of an edge in design can score a job in gd if you are willing to settle for shit pay and being treated like you are the scum of the earth. This treatment does not lessen over time either. Then 3 years later you might find that really awesome job. Stick with that, as long as you can, because you will never find any other job like it in gd. Currently I am 4 years past the best gd job I ever had. I was payed good, had great friends and clients and loved what I did. Then, like every other company they move their shit overseas and send you packing and you will find out that all your qualifications and experience don't mean shit to any potential employer. If you tick all the boxes and are willing to sink down to entry level pay again, congratulations! You have come full circle and are just about to kill yourself because fuck doing another 20 years of this shit.

gd is 98% deathtrap, 2% lucky bastards
>>
>>314891
>>315038
Dont take this negatively, but do you have nice presentable portfolios?
What you described isnt really a creative job, but rather a mindless trade-ish thing.
>>
>>315074
Words of truth.
>>
>>315074
Could you be more specific with the type of work you had in mind? Because you dont need to be a gd'er to remove scraps from vinyl cutoffs.
>>
I am having a hell of a time landing a quality full time gig after earning a two-year post-bac cert. in GD. I don't want to accept a temp/contract position, but i may have to.
>>
>>315157
good luck anon
>>
>>314758
nigger
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.