[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how did i do?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 23

File: Vaporwave 1.png (4MB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
Vaporwave 1.png
4MB, 960x960px
My first real attempt at vaporwave (yes i know its dead but i still like the way it looks) how did i do?
>>
unimaginative as in it has no value as an artwork and since there's no actual idea to communicate with it, i can't say if it's technically bad or not. this isn't even graphic design really.
>>
>>312617
why must an idea be communicated? Cant some art exists just to be an image, and nothing more?
>>
>>312618
graphic design is utilitarian, so if it doesn't communicate anything, i can't judge it as graphic design and this is graphic design board. then there's no technical right or wrong, especially if it's an 'abstract' composition.

ok, i'll try, as an artwork - it's a bit of an eyesore. it's very sharp and this thing with very saturated channel shifted neon colors is fairly new for vaporwave art, if it's so clean it doesn't even look retro. the color bleed made using channel shifting used to be subtle, blurred out, washed out, had crt scanlines imposed on it etc. the channel shifting thing is so overdone even in commercial graphic design and photography and video art in recent years, there's no 'wow' effect here. you know, for instance that all-popular watch_dogs game, the flat sharp cgi glitch motion graphic effects you don't really get in reality unless you damage your graphics card or lcd monitor, that. same shit on every youtube gaymer or vfx channel intro.
since the post-modern art it plays with has no rights or wrongs, it's hard to tell if it's good or not even as fine arts artwork. if you decided to read books about typographic grids, you'll read that humans like asymmetric compositions a bit more on the regular and you'd expect symmetric ones for very specific cases, since it's mostly visual dead end (as in where your eyes follow), the final spectacle, so a symetric composition has to be really good.

i've been up for many hours, so i'm a bit cynical.
>>
>>312622
i mean, im not going for wow effect, im just wondering if it looks "professional" or if it looks "good enough" im not trying to reinvent the wheel and make people lose their minds, im just wondering if it looks good enough to put in a portfolio.
>>
>>312622
also, at first glance it may look semetrical, but once you look harder youll see nothing is really ligned up, i dont even think the text is centered. Girl on the left has a circle overlay, while girl on the right is boxy and square (isnt that shape contrast or somehting, harsh angles verses rounded circle)
>>
>>312629
no, it's not professional, as i said it's not interesting or special, it looks beginner level, BUT for what it is, it has no obviously 'wrong' technical attributes that you would usually expect from beginner work, such as poorly cut, jagged or blurry out alpha-transparent layer edges, low quality overly artifact ridden assets etc. the color pallete is consistent too. means you don't look clueless. so - keep going.

here are some book on graphic design, if you decide to do something that has utilitarian purpose:
https://mega.nz/#F!YkNhRLIL!cx4C_hWsuVOW-8K7O8MLtg
in that case, learn adobe illustrator, study logos, type design elements, designs and usage of legendary typefaces etc to appreciate flat geometric shape for what it is. and typographic grids, so you can use it all in purposeful manner.
>>
>>312622
I don't know what you are on about. I am a full time graphic designer and I think it looks very decent for the first attempt at this style for OP.

I would maybe appreciate more grainy overlays, subtle background manipulations and more retro-style glitch effect, but OP can definitely take where he is at (generic vaporwave style) and go towards more interesting or original solutions from there.
>>
File: BTI0xRU.png (522KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
BTI0xRU.png
522KB, 1920x1080px
>>312630
it's still overly symmetrical. maybe the chinchong text is unnecessary, unno (you can go more minimal).

you can try misaligning it vertically too, such as moving girl on the right like 100px lower, or even fuck it up by stretching it.

>>312633
you're probably right, and i do think that op is on the right track. i quickly diss everything when i'm sleep depraved. i've seen so many of these things, i don't really know how to appreciate it anymore, since every newfriend on this board wants to be a vaporwave artist.
>>
File: Vaporwave 2.png (838KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
Vaporwave 2.png
838KB, 960x960px
>>312633
i hid some layers and this came out, honestly i like it more than the first image, its a little more abstract but you can get an idea that the original image was a girl (or 2 girls) with sexy kissable lips.
>>
>>312634
i get you though, and when im tired i make shitty art thats been out of style for a few years. we both have flaws we need to work on.lol
>>
File: 1496326605737.jpg (44KB, 466x582px) Image search: [Google]
1496326605737.jpg
44KB, 466x582px
>>312634
Sleep deprivation sucks bad. I used to pull all-nighters fueled by caffeine pills some years ago but then I got some severe panic attacks and now I have to get my sleep every night or else get mad depression. Try and get some sleep if you can, even if few hours. That shit eats away at your soul, guaranteed.

I didn't say before that I appreciate OP's current work. Large part because I am not into this K-Pop/Anime/Japanese stuff and I prefer more western elements, but I don't discriminate people who are into that.

What I appreciate about OP's picture is that it seems like he does have some motivation and skill and can work on from there. Maybe he needs to lurk more?

Pic related, interesting use of glitch effect.
>>
File: Brule.kiss.gif (992KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Brule.kiss.gif
992KB, 500x281px
>>312636
mmm look at those lips, so kissable. muah!
>>
>>312638
here's a little nugget, why it as a whole looks similar and why the smaller details don't matter on that very important first glance and from the distance (at least when you're doing branding, promotional advertising and such)

http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~kbroom/Lectures/gestalt.htm

>>312639
i'm more or less willingly sleep deprived since i've been neeting for last 4 months since i came out of mental hospital and dropped the meds. i have to deal with withdrawal that makes me weak and dizzy, so i don't do too many productive things. i still slowly work on some projects tho. i come here to help people with advice.
>>
>>312636
https://youtu.be/-29DXPe3OBo?t=1m40s
>>
File: latvian girl.jpg (37KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
latvian girl.jpg
37KB, 640x640px
>>312636
It looks even worse now. The lips are too pixellated, the colours are super intense and I don't know what is your reasoning for stretching the girls out this much.

Pic related is a latvian art school girl goofing around. Notice how her pale skin at the main focus of the picture brings the other colors like her hair and the candy strip better? Now image if I applied some oversaturated filter on her pale face - as a result, entire picture would looks wishy-washy and lose it's focus or interesting combinations of colours.

Rule one in arts is that intense colors/tones should be coupled with less intense. If entire picture is super intense with no neutral tones, it becomes eyesoreing/straining to look at.
>>
>>312641
>similar
*symmetric
>>
>>312643
to me it looks like an untouched cellphone image. i feel like some added contrast and vibrance could do wonders for it
>>
>>312641
Sounds tough, well good luck on recovery Anon! How are you doing professionally, are you looking for a job soon?
>>
File: 1497429424399.jpg (39KB, 485x481px) Image search: [Google]
1497429424399.jpg
39KB, 485x481px
>>312646
things have been a bit chaotic, but i've been offered a web developer / designer job in 4 places this month without searching anything myself and have already set up so i work for 2 of them part time, and waiting for the interviews for other 2 so i can't complain. some days physically i feel like fucked up useless, but i've got quite a lot better over time.
>>
>>312647
smoke some weed or take psychedelics, maybe your mind needs to be kickstarted into some creative flow again.
>>
File: S1HNqtId.jpg (12KB, 250x238px) Image search: [Google]
S1HNqtId.jpg
12KB, 250x238px
>>312648
gotta abstain from drug habits for now, since i currently rely on help of my relatives and acquaintances who don't approve DA PLANT

can't complain about the flow, since i've started at least the parts i like to do such as experimenting with web design - typography, patterns, color schemes, blatantly imitating Tycho/ISO50 vibes i do enthusiastically
>>
>>312651
>Tycho/ISO50
Looked it up right now, and it looks amazing. I am in the process of making my own web portfolio website, I am poor at coding so I rely on some tutorials for the coding part, but I am currently looking for good styles to use for designing my portfolio.

I'm an eastern yuropoor and in my hometown, there is a hipster-ish music festival coming up, an annual thing here. It has an interesting style. Can you pinpoint for me how this style or similar is called/influenced by? Pic related.
>>
File: ss+(2017-06-23+at+08.44.03).jpg (68KB, 595x593px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-06-23+at+08.44.03).jpg
68KB, 595x593px
>>312653
i recall his visuals are influenced by 60s/70s american commercial graphic design and geometric wallpaper patterns, dieter rams kind of minimalist functional product design etc. and typographic choices are reminiscent of NASA promotional materials of the time and you cant avoid international typographic style / swiss style influence. "Tycho" is name for one of the largest craters on the moon.

i'm from latvia btw
>>
>>312616
vaporwave sucks but as a vaporwave piece it still sucks. not enough glitch. too simple. there isnt even any greek statues like are u even trying
>>
>>312656
Thanks for the info!

From Latvia? Neat, I'm from Estonia. I've interned at Janis Rozentals Art School for 2 months, maybe I know you?
>>
>>312659
no. but i've studied graphic design in liepaja and that was miserable diploma-mill garbage tier shit so being pressured to 'study' there fractured my mental state. i dropped out after 2 years anyway. some students were baffled why didn't i go to the national art academy, since i'm good at painting, but i haven't practiced that much in my life, and you just have to go to the school you mentioned to practice for 3 years, since the art academy standards are very high.
>>
File: 356d9c13cbc2aa75c209a4cdc5deefad.jpg (114KB, 736x1087px) Image search: [Google]
356d9c13cbc2aa75c209a4cdc5deefad.jpg
114KB, 736x1087px
speaking of tycho, besides his own music, you're dealing with this kind of an aesthetic and time period:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvFVo3j5g1g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJSKJqvoQ6U
>>
>>312661
Matīss?
>>
>>312664
nezinu tādu
>>
>>312661
Why was your experience with that graphic design study this grinding to you? I had a bad time at my art school studies too, partly because none of my co-students weren't even artist types but former office drones who wanted to "try out a new field" and probably didn't even land a design job, unlike I did.

BTW I really enjoyed my time at that latvian art school. People were really cool and friendly to me at the time. Of course there was the usual, characteristic eastern european grumpiness/rudeness but it's OK, it's not like estonians are much better. Overall, some teachers there I really liked and some students were cool too.
>>
>>312665
Andris?
>>
>>312667
nezinu tādu

>>312666
kind of like that. most of my coursemates were these sheltered self-absorbed bubblehead turbonormies raised by television with no passion for anything of value, most of them didn't have any previous knowledge about the field and they didn't know why they were there. i couldn't relate to them and had nothing indepth to talk about with them. since the school until the end of ussr was pedagogical institute, most of the tutors were previous employees who never have worked in the field they were supposed to teach for a single day of their lives, they just were there so they would have something to do. we had decent ammount of traditional drawing and painting work to do, but it was almost unnecessary for the field, especially since there was like no design theory or more importantly anything truly connected to / reminiscent of real life work, except for a couple of short formal photography and lettering courses. there was this cool weird 85something year old professor guy who thought us visual composition. he knew exactly how shit everything was so he gave us like 100 or more tasks to do per semester so it would overload and piss us off so much that we would just leave. i had an honest talk with him before i dropped out.
>>
File: ClpVgKBWMAER6-f.jpg (122KB, 960x835px) Image search: [Google]
ClpVgKBWMAER6-f.jpg
122KB, 960x835px
>>312668
this everyone pretends to work mouthbreeding process felt degrading and i started to really hate everything i was doing, because i had to do pointless shit i hated that had nothing to do with actual work. i had to go into denial and self-doubt about everything because my relatives and acquaintances didn't listen and expected me to graduate cuz 'u cant make it well in da lif wifout dat diploma'.
>>
>>312669
and statistically almost nobody who graduates that programme in this uni currently works in the field so, yeah.
>>
>>312668
Sounds bad desu, shouldn't you have looked more into the school before applying?

>>312670
This is a legit sign something is real bad with the course. Sometimes it is good to go for the more practical course, academy-oriented stuff kind of sucks unless you feel like going into education in that field or looking to become a professor.
>>
File: 1492304847891.jpg (123KB, 1503x994px) Image search: [Google]
1492304847891.jpg
123KB, 1503x994px
>>312675
i wasn't entirely sure about my math skills so i didn't go to study stem or computer science or programming related stuff in the riga technical university or something. i may or may not do it at jurmala in near future, maybe this year, sysadmin or programmer.

i wanted to go for something related to graphic design and that university was the only place that supposedly gave an opportunity to do so. thankfully i didn't have to pay those 900 eur per year (or maybe semester, don't remember) for that shitshow. although there are some advertising related education available, but i don't know i would want to go with that.

i was pretty sheltered and legit autistic myself, straight out of distance education highschool back then, so i wasn't sure where to go felt like i had to go along the expectations of my folks and quickly pick some higher education course.
>>
>>312678
even though i was the autistic introvert weirdo i was the one who had to order everyone around and speak for everyone when the internship time came. oh yeah, the experience of staring at the low-spec rusty old printing presses literary from DDR without zero interaction with anything and then having to figure out how everyone in the group 'contributed' so the presentation wouldn't feel completely fucking shameful and everyone could get a grade. of course other times you had to find internships yourself and do a report on them, good luck, but since it was all just a formality and not responsibility, anything flew. one girl got in the largest social media / advertising company in the country and they baffled and rated the school of design education as absolute shit.
>>
File: midnight in paris.gif (795KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
midnight in paris.gif
795KB, 500x282px
>>312678
>>312680
But you got anything good out of it? Seemed to work out well for you if companies are offering you positions themselves. It sounds dishonest to make it sound this bad.

BTW I highly sugest to take that Jurmala course on some technical skill. Graphic Design + Developer-anything is a killer combo. Also, something business-related might also come in handy.

Pic not really related but it's a good quote from a good movie.
>>
>>312683
sounds pointlessly defensive, but they're offering positions for skills i mostly learned and proved with work history outside of university work. i haven't listed my university studies anywhere. in this country companies in this field don't care about any kind of formal education you've ever had. within the entirety of those 2 years in academia i learned some adobe illustrator. it was bad THEN, that experience was not worth it. sure, i'd say i do appreciate where i'm right now since i don't want to go through such a thing again.
>>
File: 1493196801847.png (300KB, 406x404px) Image search: [Google]
1493196801847.png
300KB, 406x404px
>>312684
if i sound as angsty faggot or whatever, no, i just like to tell stories. for me it was kind of surreal that's why i like to talk about it that kind dramatized way.
>>
>>312684
>>312686
>companies in this field don't care about any kind of formal education you've ever had
This is because education is what you make out of it for yourself. What you get as internship matters most.

You just sound very pessimistic, because your situation doesn't even sound bad at all besides mental problems. Address those, get help, because seems like you can sort out the other issues. Don't be so hard on yourself, it's not warranted.
>>
>>312688
i could go on about the run-down bleak gray coastal postcommie town itself, very rundown dorm which for better or worse is borderline anarchy, numerous unfortunate encounters with bed bugs to the point of quarantine and then when you're supposed to play-pretend with everyone including the leading academic staff of the course as a kindergartener when you see in their eyes that they know and then make those fake smiles of approval. at least i got to befriend some alcoholics and druggies that were nice and honest people. maybe it was more silly than anything.
>>
>>312616 to be honest it like looks great :)
>>
>>312658
I'm not trying to meme and rehash old shit. I was just trying to make a "vaporwave inspired" picture at 7am
>>
>>312616

Am I Vaporwave yet??
>>
File: girl_copy_even-Recovered.jpg (261KB, 2547x1645px) Image search: [Google]
girl_copy_even-Recovered.jpg
261KB, 2547x1645px
>>312733

Yes.
>>
>>312616
Looks great!!!! Keep at it! Everytime i see someone buy into this shit it gives me hope and drive to keep at my own aesthetic. Thanks for the unexpected motivation! Best of luck!
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arA2tyUUbCY
>>
File: tenativecase.jpg (27KB, 800x308px) Image search: [Google]
tenativecase.jpg
27KB, 800x308px
can anyone rate my experimental PC chassis design? Really into glitchwave, proto-punk, and budget PCs. Wanted to make a PC that would fit into a neo-seoulian world. Any suggestions on what to improve?
>>
File: 1494874984306.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1494874984306.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>312616
Looks pretty good OP, only thing I'd change is the colors and how they work with each other. What I mean is the purple/pink doesn't pop out that much. this make it feel sorta bland to me. I'd maybe try to change the background behind the girl (or guy idk lol) to a darker shade. That's just my opinion. Do what you think looks good and keep it up.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.