[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /gd/ think about Futur? Also /gd/ learning resourc

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

File: mr bald gook.jpg (549KB, 1534x1024px) Image search: [Google]
mr bald gook.jpg
549KB, 1534x1024px
What does /gd/ think about Futur? Also /gd/ learning resources and inspiration thread I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheSkoolRocks
>>
>>310084
IDK much about his work I guess but I have watch a few of his lectures and other videos. He knows what he is talking about for sure and I think any designer can probably take something away from listening to him.
>>
For those who want to be front-end web developers:
https://www.youtube.com/user/DevTipsForDesigners

I uploaded some more or less essential general design learning stuff here:
https://mega.nz/#F!YkNhRLIL!cx4C_hWsuVOW-8K7O8MLtg
>>
>just charge more
whoa he is so enlightened i need to buy all his courses

>client asks for a quote on a logo
>say $250 massively undercutting any kind of professional they would find in their locale
>client says no thanks i got a bunch of $50 offers
>repeat ad infinitum
>>
>>310121
forgot to mention
>according to Do i should have asked for $2500 and this would have landed me the job
>>
>>310121
Dude, logos lmao! My certified logo will make people come to your pizza restaurant, I swear. Here, let me put on a show for you to believe me: suit and tie; professional, eh? You see, it's not even about the quality of the food. It's all about *design*. Now pay me triple your rent for this entire venue or else I ain't typing your name in this fancy program from Adobe.
>>
>>310121

It looks like your work just isn't professional enough and you handled bussiness part poorly. There are clients that will never pay you more, you decide if you want to work with them. It really depends on the bussiness model you have - are you working really fast and clearing those $50 and $100 quickly, or are you trying to satisfy bigger clients.
>>
>>310187
My work and presentation are about as professional as they can be for an online international freelancer. It's just that clients you can find online will choose the cheaper option over me 99% of the time. I try not to work with anything below $200, which I feel is a nice balance between underbidding industry standards, and earning more than enough for where I am, but clients still decide to go with the designer that asked for $50, despite the fact you can't even cover a month of Adobe with it.
>>
>>310122
>>310196

That makes you a 'Premium' designer, high costs imply status and knowledge, see Apple's overpriced stuff selling like hotcakes, of course you must back up premium costs with your design skills, portfolio, case studies, and ability to sugarcoat your processes and competencies. Chris specifically says to not sell yourself as a designer but as a problem solver, if they ask for a logo you develop an identity and explain how and why you came up with that, sell them an idea, not just a piece of vector. I'd rather have a client pay me 2k for a design than work with 20 clients for 100 dollar designs. Also, meet your clients in person, skyping is so unprofessional.
>>
>>310646
Mate if I lived somewhere I could meet clients in person I wouldn't be wasting my life by freelancing online, I'd find steady work in an agency. Do's advice only applies if you live someplace people actually value design and have appropriate budgets, at which point it's common sense and not advice at all.
>>
>>310667
>not freelancing irl outside

this guyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

literally make bus cards and stick them on doors of restaurs, shops, cars

inb4 i'm too low for that and just want them checks rolling in for knowing what a vector is
>>
>>310678
Are you genuinely illiterate? I live in a town with 50k people, 50% unemployment, and where the average monthly wage is $250.
>>
>>310685
Then why the fuck are you in design, and what is this place?
>>
>>310196
jessica hische is also an international online freelancer and i'm pretty sure her logos aren't 50bux
>>
>>310728
Because I can earn 3x the monthly wage with 10 hours of work, without having to leave the house. A third world country.

>>310732
No she isn't.
>>
>DESIGN EDUCATION DOESN’T WORK
>proceed to educate people on design

That being said, they do make some good videos on subjects others cant touch that well
>>
>>310769
His stuff is more about the business side, which design schools don't really cover. You don't need design school anyways, he is right. I Never went to school and I got my first job at a firm when I was only 17.
>>
>>310084
can't be that good since none of their products are pirated
>>
>>310805
Fuckin rekt.
>>
I've watched his stuff for months. I think he's excellent. He's very practical and knowledgeable, and he doesn't sugarcoat the way some of you seem to want him to. Watch all of his vids.
>>
>>310084
My friend used to work at his firm. He's a bit of a sham, he can't really back up his lectures in real life and that's why he has pivoted his entire business model so he can afford to make mortgage and car payments.

These types dwell in every field. Pay me to teach you to make money...
>>
>>311586
Have you seen his firms portoflio? Pretty sure they know what they are doing.
>>
>>311586
>>311587
Chris Do is sketchy. If his ideas worked he would be out there doing the large jobs rather than selling videos.
>>
>>311586
Is he lacist? Because he only hires Asians at his firm.
>>
>>311587
Yes, I'm well familiar with it and it's growing slower each year. The money isn't coming in hence the pivot.

>>311650
Yes, avoid him. He's also hilariously bad with women.

>>311660
Asians in LA are pretty racis, coping with a lot of cognitive dissonance.
>>
>>310737
https://workingnotworking.com/jessicahische

looks like a pretty online fuckin' portfolio taking on clients to me
>>
>>311671
I have to sign up to see someone's portfolio? Dumb.
>>
>>310084
Chris Do is a more fancy version of those sketchy "make $1000 a WEEK with this simple EBOOK" online scams from 10 years ago.

He has some generic advice though which can be helpful, but it's 99% garbage.
>>
>>311763
I never heard him say buy my videos!??? He has 2 hours long videos on YouTube with really great advice imo, he inspires me as a designer and entrepreneur, oh well
>>
Would be great to see the networth of the people who "shittalk" him i bet there is a pattern
>>
>>310737
So why are you criticizing do's advice
>>
>>311788
Yeah, same. I haven't seen him say buy my videos. I didn't even know he had stuff he was selling.

Lots of negativity in this thread.
>>
anybody actually tried his courses?
>>
>>310646
skyping has nothing to do with being a professional or not. You should be able to do your work on 56k modem and apple II computer
>>
>>313203

I'm the other guy, but I disagree heavily. If you look at workstations of professionals vs. amateurs/students, there's a big difference.

Hobbyist wannabe illustrator workspace: small personal laptop, shitty 50$ tablet, small table next to the bed, pencils wherever, broken ones mixed with good ones, shitty $0.5 markers from which some work and some don't,

Professional illustrator: cintiq tablet, separate working space with big table, lightbox with adjustable light strength, copic markers and other shit ordered in separate containers, those less used hidden not to clutter the workspace, adjustable angle drafting table, references and inspiration books/models also ordered on a cupboard nearby in the arm's reach, somewhere near a small camera set on a tripod and with adjustable light source to make easily high-res references for your photobashing/paintover.

Same with 3D:

Hobbyist: Sketch-up on a laptop

Professional: Zbrush + Unreal Engine + Blender + LigthWave, every program for other part of the workflow (rigging, low poly/high poly, animation, post), proper computer screen and PC of appropriate strength, 3D mouse for more fluid camera adjustment during modeling and shortcut binding to the buttons

And it's like that with practically every profession, hell, some take it to real extreme like with lawyers being really strict on dress code or their office furnishing.
>>
File: 1499071869479.png (16KB, 219x186px) Image search: [Google]
1499071869479.png
16KB, 219x186px
>>313425
good goy
>>
>>313425
You fell for it. It's just smoke and mirrors to fool dumb clients into thinking ooo la la, monsieur, we are professionals, so instead of showing you our work, we'll justify it by acting snobbish and pretentious. In reality, nobody cares for your setup as long as the result is good.
>>
>>313447
Your setup subcommunicates your thinking process. You notice it on many dimensions because the things got there based on multiple actions that all feed off of each other. It just fucking shows the fucking process im not even sure why i have to explain it because its so obvious.
>>
Chris Do has a neat channel and certainly he has good intentions, but I can tell how his advice is mostly useful if you wanna go full corporate with your career. If you are still in the "building portfolio, learning how to do shit, how to be more creative, looking for a job, working in a small print shop to work your way up to corporate" phase, then 90% of his advice doesn't apply.
>>
>>310084
A
LITERAL
GOD

he could've easily asked money for his videos
he didn't
>>
>>311650
Does he actually sell the videos? It's all on YouTube, isn't it?
>>
>>313660
He doesn't sell any of the videos. As far as I know, he does sell some kind of subscribership but that's mostly to get access to some skype groups where you can talk to other design employers and ask direct questions for his reply vids, but even then, he sometimes takes questions from his free viewers (under FB) if questions run out on membership groups.

>>313649
It's amazing how he gives out so much advice in his vids that people otherwise have to pay hundreds of dollars to hear from seminars and stuff. He even broadcasts some seminars he attends to, on youtube, for free.

It's easy to think there must be a catch, but as far as I have looked, there really isn't. Maybe there is some ad revenue from YT partnership, but it's largely symbolic, he really doesn't need much money, he already said in one of his vids that he is financially secure as hell.
>>
>>313757

He actually said that he gets something like $1000 from skillshare affiliate links under his videos which is nice but nothing really fancy. Also like 5 different people work with him on those videos, some full-time, some part-time.

And yeah, I agree, he feels genuine in what he says and how he interacts with people.
>>
how do you sell strategy as a freelancer?
doesn't discovery require a team of people?
>>
This guy is good with business and marketing not design.

Ask your self what do you really want to be good at? Do you want to be good at design and learn how to make something that looks great and speaks for it self? Or do you want to be good at selling your self and making your self look with
He helps you become good speaker, if you have a bad portfolio and you're a bad designer then he can help you make your self still look good, but if you already have a good portfolio and you truly are a good designer who creates amazing work then he's not that helpful.
>>
>>313853
Have you seen his art direction videos where he analyzes the sketches done by one of his workers? He actually knows a fair bit about design and knows how to communicate what works and what doesn't in a composition
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.