[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

UX/UI

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

Hey guys, I have been getting more and more interested in learning UX/UI design lately but I don't know where to start. All my professional colleagues and friends do printed, package or web design so I don't really know where to start. Anyone here who is working in the UX/UI field mind telling me where I should get started to learn? I have read articles online, and they are all divided between "take a class online" or "just read and learn". Also I assume CSS/Html are a must, correct?
>>
File: Lynda.com.jpg (123KB, 1128x904px) Image search: [Google]
Lynda.com.jpg
123KB, 1128x904px
>>306071
<
>>
File: 1024x1024.jpg (62KB, 1024x712px) Image search: [Google]
1024x1024.jpg
62KB, 1024x712px
Start trying to recreate webpages/splashpages you like via Photoshop/Illustrator. Yes, learn CSS/Html; you can take apart free layouts to get the idea.
>>
>>306080
Thank you Anon! that makes sense!
>>
>>306078
>faggot
>>
>>306071
Go back to facebook frogcancer
>>
>>306080
Basically what he said.

I'm a UI/UX designer myself. Studied it for 2 years.
HTML/CSS is a must, especially responsive design. I'd encourage looking up usability practices rather than trying to make le pretty web sites pretty. People go to websites for content first and foremost.

I personally use Sketch as my tool of choice for UI design, but that's only on Mac. Photoshop and Illustrator work fine....However if you are a windows user I encourage using Adobe XD over photoshop because XD is MADE for UI/UX Design unlike Photoshop or Illustrator.

TL:DR

Get into usability practices
Learn about designing for the user
Learn HTML/CSS and responsive web design
Get into wire framing and information architecture.
>>
>>306071
if you are trying to learn HTML & CSS, www.w3schools.com is going to be your knight in shinning armor. It can also teach you basic javascript and other extremely useful languages.
>>
OP here.

Seriously thank you so much guys! This is a lot of help! I
>>
>>306218
This

but
>I encourage using Adobe XD over photoshop
I don't agree with it. Photoshop is a much more powerful tool and if you master it (really not difficult) you can do anything. In XD you mainly work with shapes, etc. but you can't use any filter effects that might be nice in some scenarios. I believe it also doesn't use masks. And most companies use either Photoshop or Sketch and if you can't use one of them they might hire someone else.

Other than that he is right. Designing for the user is very important and you need to learn about usability and user experience as well. At the end, how your app "looks" is just a small part of the whole process.
>>
Try messing around in invision and learn how to make an awesome wireframe. A good wireframe is all you really need. It should explain absolutely every detail but also be followable without having to read.
>>
>>306071
I'd suggest learning JavaScript as well since you'll be able to incorporate logic into your designs. Otherwise, you'd need to be a part of a team where people implement the changes that you want to make.
>>
>>308113
Javascript shouldn't just be a "suggestion"; it's pretty essential for animations, interactions, and bringing sites together. CSS is getting more powerful and starting to support more animation stuff, but without JS, your design options will be much more limited.

Just look at this: http://eien.tokyo/

And then look at the source code (Chrome link, sorry): view-source:http://eien.tokyo/

The vast majority of the site, which only runs from lines 35-48 in HTML, is loaded through Javascript. Most of the page's code is just meta information for search engines.

Obviously that's an extreme example, but your sites will be far more limited without knowing the trifecta of HTML, CSS, and Javascript. HTML and CSS shouldn't even take you more than a month to get the basics down, even if you'll likely need to look things up constantly as you get into making actual sites. And depending on how serious you are about making your sites accessible for as many people as possible, Javascript is the only way of making new HTML standards work with Internet Explorer 8, which is the latest version that Windows XP users can upgrade to. IE8 can't recognize HTML5 (the newest version) at all without Javascript.

You don't need to be a Javascript expert (especially when JQuery exists to automate things for you), but all front-end developers/designers are basically expected to know the basics of Javascript, so that they know what they're actually looking at when it comes to coding.
>>
>>308295
Actually, wait, lines 38-47 in that source code are just for Google Analytics, so the base HTML is only 4 lines long.
>>
>>308295
But this will take me ages to learn and understand. It's too much to learn. I don't know where to stop. And that scroll is absolute cancer.
>>
>>306071

UX/UI positions are reserved for the asian sex slaves of jewish product managers and startup co-founders.

If you aren't a 16-26 yr old asian female, or don't look like a 16-26 yr old asian female, you will never become a UX professional.

Truth hurts sorry m8
>>
What do you really want to do?

Do you want to be a UX designer? A visual designer? A developer? Let's be realistic, you can't be all three if you're just starting out.

What do you like to do? Do you like to design the experience? Do you like to design what it looks like? Do you like to do programming?

Pick. One. The other two are now your secondary.

For UX design start with a classic, Don't Make Me Think by Steve Krug. It's examples are dated but it teaches you everything necessary to do make good usability. Then start to look into the process itself, Lean and Agile. Learn both despite what people will tell you about picking one over the other. Learn to rapid prototype.

If you choose visual design, then I suggest you study general design. A good visual designer has a solid foundation in design principles but also understands the psychology of the interface from a visual perspective. There's no way to do this expect trial and error.

If you want to be a developer, make programming your primary focus. Don't let anyone tell you you need to go Lynda or some shit, there are a near endless amount of free resources out there for learning any programming language or software.

For all of these, just look at examples. For instance, what do you think is good about the design of this website? How does this website work? Pull it apart, learn what works and doesn't. Do this for everything, just think about things.

and most of all ask yourself, do I really care about UX? Or am I just trying to follow the trend because I think there are jobs?
>>
>>309022
>do I really care about UX?

"I'm just an advocate for the users!!! I care about customer experience!!"

I hope you nor OP drinks this bullshit kool-aid. Why the fuck would anyone genuinely care about what some fedora fingers with cheeseypuff/jizz covered fingers thinks about a blue vs. red buttons.

It's all about the jobs, the traffic and the money. Gtfo with that touchy felt millennial shit

Tech is filled with the biggest wonks I swear
>>
>>309029
Indeed, but how can I say this in an interview when all they want to hear are buzzwords like 'empathy' and other bullshit.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.