[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WUT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: PDny7z2.jpg (131KB, 686x959px) Image search: [Google]
PDny7z2.jpg
131KB, 686x959px
Can someone explain the deal with Photoshop and PNG files?

I've heard that photoshop cant create resizable transparency graphics because everything coming out of photoshop is supposed to be a photograph.
If you resize a photoshop file it just starts to get blurry - whereas an Illustrator file will always have a sharp edge?

I've been on /p/ for years working with RAW and Tiff files - but if I want to make a transparent header for my website am i better off using Illustrator?
>>
>>305372
>I want to make a transparent header for my website
You can't use vector graphics on your website, you need a rasterized image for that, which isn't resizable but you already know the target size.
You can either create it in Illustrator or photoshop but you will need to export it as a png with your desired size
>>
>>305376
Sure, alright, that makes sense.

But is it right that Photoshop simply cannot produce scalable graphics full stop? Because everything it produces (including PNGs) is rasterized?

(Not true vectors etc)
>>
>>305381
yes. photoshop produces rasterized images and you can't enlarge those without losing quality.

use illustrator for vectorial stuff

different tools for different things
>>
PSD, PNG, and TIF files are all raster. None can be enlarged without quality loss.

The difference between a PNG and Photoshop (PSD) file is - at the most basic - a PSD file can contain many elements (such as filter layers, or other native things) that require Photoshop to work with. Think of it as the "working file".

A PNG is a "final output" file.

There are other differences and exceptions to PNG vs TIF vs PSD; I'm just trying to keep it simple.
>>
>>305376
heard of an SVG before?

>>305372
i mean you "could" make a raster banner at the right size but if you want it to scale it should be a vector file, which is what illustrator does
>>
>>305372

You're making this a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

In this situation, you need to stop thinking like a photographer. For a website header, you don't need to retain 100% quality at full resolution, the way you do with photographs/raw/tif.

Design in Illustrator if you want, and import as a smart object into Photoshop. Or just design in Photoshop.

Pick your header's max optimal size - example: 1280x400. If you're going to design it responsive, just let the code shrink it from there.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.