[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm currently in school for graphic design and im REALLY

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Paste-up.jpg (130KB, 700x486px) Image search: [Google]
Paste-up.jpg
130KB, 700x486px
I'm currently in school for graphic design and im REALLY hating digital design. I feel like it's so easy and impersonal, I really like getting my hands in it and pasting and cutting and measuring, but I don't know how to make it a practice of mine in such a digitally dominated age. How many of you feel the same? How many of you worked in the era before computers? I'm trying to find someone I can learn from but i'm not having any success
>>
>>303163
b go into printmaking
>>
start telling hipsters that analogue logos are far higher quality compared to digital vector logos
they'll flock to it for coffee shop logos.
>>
>>303167
im thinking thats probably the only way
>>
>>303163
How to make a timeless logo:
Step A) Sketch your ideas
Step B) Narrow it down to the best ones.
Step C) Can it be recreated traditionally? (If yes, you might want to give it a try)
Step D) With everything you learned, apply that in the digital medium.

You cannot create the future without knowing history. All these wanna be digital doodlers are never going to make it. Its the same with digital painting. you wont go big without knowing your traditional fundamentals.
>>
>>303184
thank you
>>
>>303185
That must have been the quickest response time I got on this board. I salute you.
>>
>>303163

go be an artist then ya fog dog
>>
Someone working traditionally would never be able to keep up with the expectations of a modern works schedule and deadlines

It's also extremely limiting

Hand-print design is a luxury at best in 2017
>>
>>303163

Yeah, I worked in the era before all the design was done on computers...

Cropping rulers, wax rollers, building separations by hand, velox paper, ruleline tape, Xacto knives, cutting acetate for spot colors...

Yeah, don't really miss that at all. It wasn't more creative. It was just hell time-consuming, physically messy (wax and rubber cement all over the place), and changes/modifications could be a bitch.
>>
>>303419
I agree!

>building separations by hand

X-ACTO knife and rubylith? That's how I did them when I started in print production. I much prefer having rip software print my separations while I work on other shit.

I used to do a lot of that shit manually too, even exposing plates for offset printing. It was fun at the time but these days it's about getting quality work out in a timely manner to keep up with demand. The client doesn't care if you produced their separations by hand, but they'll care that it took longer to receive their final product because of that though.
>>
>>303163

Honestly I always felt the same way. Went through digital art, print making, graphic design and typography. I always wanted to keep as much of the traditional skills involved but you also have to take advantage of your digital tools.

Find a way to make whatever you like doing traditional work with whatever you like to do digitally. You may be surprised at what you come up with.
>>
>>303163
>easy and impersonal

Well shit it sounds like you are keeping to the status quo you lazy fucking bastard. Fucking mix it up, go analog, then go digital, then the other way around. Combine the best of both worlds and remix it, do something different and make sure it's not easy.

Learn to 3D print custom printing plates for small runs on the letter press, or do a quick dive into industrial design and make a physical object, design a story game app with some grit, or some shit.

This is the time to push you abilities and competitively 'out design' your peers while picking up new skills.

Your bored because you haven't challenged yourself.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.