[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Canadian Anti-Piracy Laws

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: J39jf.png (4KB, 175x175px) Image search: [Google]
J39jf.png
4KB, 175x175px
I'm speaking on behalf of a depressed, online friend from CANADA that's concerned about his situation and too paranoid to ask. He has suffered from a range of mental issues over the last few years.

He put together several flyers for a small food company without owning a commercial license for the design program that he uses. I only know that he barely makes money from this work.

Did he screw himself over or should he just purchase a commercial license now? Could said company have his computer's MAC addresses logged, IP, etc.? What precautions should he take? He is terrified to purchase the program because he believes the company will search for him and find a way to sue him into the ground.

I know some people will give me trolling answer but I'm genuinely curious. Thanks!
>>
It's a very remote possibility that he will be tracked down and sued, especially as he is an individual. I'd give a different answer if he were a large, notable design agency.

As far as what happens if he purchases a valid license - no, they aren't going to compare IP numbers and then sue him for past use. They'll just be happy to have a new customer.
>>
The odds are exactly zero. Lawsuits cost money. There is no economic sense in Adobe or whatever in suing your depressed online friend. Same goes for fonts, companies get sued for that sort of shit, but never people that I've heard of.

Just think about it from an economical standpoint, the company isn't some vindictive child that will get mad at you if you steal it's toys. As an individual, or an LLC making pennies or whatever your buddy has set up he's got very little to fear. You're many orders of magnitude more likely to get a "Cease and Desist" letter, though personally (doing some fermi estimation based on googling) I'd put the odds of you getting even a cease and desist at well below the odds of getting struck by lightning until you're making at least a hundred grand in yearly revenue.
>>
>>302967

Thanks... my friend will be relieved to hear this.
>>
>>302963

Ty...
>>
How the hell will they find out that you used an illegitimate copy of Illustrator or font?
>>
>>302980

OP here...

My friend says he's paranoid that they will use his registration info to search his name, see the work he has done, etc.
>>
>>302983
I guess I'm fucked then
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.