[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Editorial Layout & Grid advice needed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4

I am doing portfolio/editorial layout for screen and maybe print. Im at my wits end dragging images and text around my grid for them just to look shit, formal training would really come in handy. Are there any resources that helped you create great layouts. rip me apart /gd/. (by the way Heading font is Gotham and body is Akzidenz-Grotesk - this is probably a no no?)
>>
>>
The object who's prorperties repeat the most should be used as a basis for the grid.

That may be daunting so a straight forward approach would be to design a baseline grid where the body copy is the basis. Height of leading should then be used to set the grid vertically, with horizontal grid placement relying on column widths (that's based on text genre) and margins between columns. Google "baseline grid" you'll get plenty of examples and tutorials.
>>
The Grid Looks like a good base to start with tho as said, a baseline grid will help.

If you mix fonts, take contrasting ones, not too similar ones. I'd ditch Gotham and go full Akzidenz.

For the layout, experiment, try things out, play.

How could images be placed?
What image sizes are good for tension or balance?

How do you create a Rhythm within the Sequence of your Spreads?
>>
You've got a grid but then you're not sticking to it. Also, you're not using the whole page. Granted we designers love white space but this feels unfinished. Why not use the photo really large of the kids? You could also do something interesting with the typography - get crazy with it. You just need more elements to play with. Good luck!
>>
>>301418

Interesting about the leading, I will take that on board for sure, never crossed my mind.

> The object who's properties repeat the most should be used as a basis for the grid.

kind of hard to know until you get it all in to inDesign of course a nice point to consider, thank you.

>>301522

Think I'm going to go full Gotham, Akzidenz in comparison does not look as slick imo

> try things out, play.

Coming back at it today a fresh, definitely feel a little more enthusiastic. Thank you.

>>301561

I was originally doing a square page facing layout but then I extended the page vertically simply to have more white space. I get Ill looking at some of my piers portfolios because for some reason they like to banish white space and even go as far as to make images the background for all their pages.

>not sticking to the grid

Totally true, got sick of re-arranging and lining up perfectly each time, now that I look at it again almost everything is off Ooo. Thank you.
>>
>>301418
In regards to the leading being used to set the grid vertically (in this document the leading is set to 21pt) the 'visual gap' however between lines of text is more like 11pt. Which of the two measurements should be considered when setting the grid?
>>
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.