[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I fucking hate graphic designers Graphic designers are just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 136
Thread images: 13

I fucking hate graphic designers

Graphic designers are just people who know how to use adobe products

They just photobash things, and "draw" logos and shit in illustrator. (usually just putting circles and other shapes together)

They then go around acting like they are talented and creative people when most of them can't even draw.

But guess what, my a friend of nmy girlfriend made her own business cards and they looked fine. She is a nurse not a designer.

Why did I choose do a degree in this shit again? I feel so stupid sometimes.
>>
>>300553
/gd/ is not your personal blog.
>>
>>300553
All of this is true but fuccbois will never admit it. It's essentially a con job. However, what I think it makes it the worst is the community. You'll find the most pretentious and egotistical people in this industry.
>>
>>300553
>But guess what, my a friend of nmy girlfriend made her own business cards and they looked fine. She is a nurse not a designer.
Post them
>>
>>300553
>a degree in graphic design

Boy, you sure are retarded.
Nobody needs a degree to understand aesthetics.
>>
This is why you guys who haven't hit your stride should never settle, never give up. OP is what failure in this field looks and sounds like.
>>
>>300578
Failure?

How is it failure in anyway?

When you are in denial and can't admit most graphic designers aren't that talented..

That's a true failure.
>>
>>300553
Stop feeding the fucking troll
>>
>>300553
if graphic design was easy then /gd/ wouldn't be filled with so much hilariously awful garbage. tons of people here try so hard and still fucking suck.

obvious troll, 2/10. barely even made me mad
>>
>>300553
Responding to the b8 because why not.

>Graphic designers are just people who know how to use adobe products
You do realize that graphic design at its basest form is about functional aesthetics right?
It's about design as a way to influence form and function, and the other way around.

With the logic you gave previously;
Architects are just people who know how to make blueprints. They just draw a bunch of lines and shit on paper (usually just putting boxes and other rectangles together)
They then go around acting like they are talented and smart people when most of them can't even use a hammer properly.
But guess what, my a friend of nmy girlfriend made her own shed and it looked fine. She is a nurse not an architect.

Doctors are just people who know a bunch of diseases. They just look at people and come up with a diagnosis. (usually just putting things in your ear and listening with a stethoscope)
They then go around acting like they're life savers, and healthy people when most of them aren't even immune to the common cold.
But guess what, my a friend of nmy girlfriend bandaged a cut and it didn't get infected. She is a nurse not a doctor (though I'd be surprised if a nurse wasn't able to do that).

I could keep going, but yeah. I'm sure you get the point.
Your argument is shit.

To further emphasize this point,
A ton of Pajeets know how to use Adobe products and 90% of the shit they churn out is just that.
Shit.
>>
>>300613
>Architects are just people who know how to make blueprints.

The difference is doing blueprints is actually complicated.

Doctors are just people who know a bunch of diseases

The difference is that's actually complicated.

I personally think the only real graphic designs are the ones who know how to draw and combine their work with their knowledge of adobe in some way.

People just bashing circles and rectangles in illustrator together in illustrator logos and photobashing images then deciding where to put a font are not talented.

They are just taking advantage of the simplicity of adobe products and trying to convince people it's actually hard.
>>
>>300613
I'm of the opinion that good graphic design is very hard, but I still think your analogy is shit.

Things like architecture and medicine have grounding in objective reality where, if the work they're doing sucks, the consequences will be obvious. A bad doctor kills patients. A bad architect designs buildings that crumble and fall apart. Graphic design work is far more subtle and subjective than that.

At the end of the day I don't feel any need to prove that good design is hard to achieve. Let smug idiots with no taste believe that it's as simple as slapping down some shapes in Illustrator and calling it a day. Doesn't harm me, and I know better, because I'm not a smug idiot with no taste.
>>
>>300613
Comparing ancient old professions, which require more than four years of study and are regarded as being among the most important, to graphic design. Holy baloney. Talk about snobbery and pretension. You're only reinforcing >>300565
>>
File: biddtms.jpg (110KB, 470x600px) Image search: [Google]
biddtms.jpg
110KB, 470x600px
>>
Wow. Fuck all of yall for replying to this. Fuck me too. Damn.
>>
File: erik-spiekermann_closeup.jpg (54KB, 432x335px) Image search: [Google]
erik-spiekermann_closeup.jpg
54KB, 432x335px
Assuming OP isnt trolling from another board, I'll give a quick rundown.

Design is a very, very unforgiving field. As >>300613 said, bottomfeeders on 99designs and pajeets in india can make absolute trendy/basic trash for pennies (the same quality as what your "friend of n girlfriend" made, which you still haven't posted even with info blurred out). That's at least 80% of people who call themselves "graphic designers".

Competition is insane. I graduated and hold a full-time job, and even that's hard to come by. It's nearly comparable to making a living as a musician.

For your simplicity, there's two levels of designers:

1. People who read a few tutorials online, watched some videos, and can make basic things in photoshop. They cling to trends and aesthetics without know the "rules". They don't know WHY what is considered good, is good. Why it's good.

2. People who've studied and read from the greats from the germans to swiss and back again. People who know the elements of design. People who can look at a successful design and know exactly what it does strongest and why things work with eachother. Knowledge of photoshop/software is the BARE base essentials for these designers. These are people making big bucks as creative designers, managing projects, etc.

I'm currently in the middle. Even where I'm at is difficult to get to if you're lazy. Even me, with a banging resume and website, got far in interviews on design teams with big names like Penguin and Scholastic but just didn't make the cut. As good as I am, there was someone even better.

I keep making allusions to music, but it's true. It's one thing to make music--you just have to learn software and an instrument. You'll be "making music." You'll make it sound nice. But it's ANOTHER thing to make music while having studied music theory. You learn WHY good music sounds good, the inner workings and background behind it. Design is quite similar.
>>
>>300567
this tho
>>
>>300623
>>300631
>>300638
I was more pointing out that he was making generalizations based on a loose description of the job. I thought I wrote that near the end, but I guess I just imagined it.

My bad.
Naturally doctors and architects are of a higher tier, I was just having fun with it.
>>
>>300667
I see, but you should look for more related, pragmatic, applied, and realistic analogies if you want your arguments to stand true. It's not even necessary to attend a university for design. Try doing that with actually relevant professions like doctors, architects, engineers etc. Besides, in the future, AI will give better results than many designers nowadays, which only shows how esteemed design is.
>>
b8
>>
>>300553
I dont have a degree. Graphic design is a profession, great bait tho. Also, you dont need to have a bit of paper to say your a graphic designer, some people just have it. Creativity comes in different formats. You just seem uneducated posting this
>>
OP has never executed a brand. No, doing a logo for change on 99designs is not brand execution. "Photobashing" (such a faggot term lol) or mushing shapes together is not brand execution.

When you conduct months of internal interviews, opposition research, compose hundreds of concepts, spend weeks on refinement, run designs through AB testing and strategic evaluation, develop an identity system that carries through collateral and media elements flawlessly, all while the board of a multimillion dollar organization is breathing down your neck, then you've executed a brand.

OP has never come close to this, and thinks trolling /gd/ is a good way to make up for his failings.
>>
>>300684
>references doctors, architects, engineers
>surely the robots will come for creative professions first

lol
>>
Clearly you have no concept of how a good design process works, I wouldn't let you do a design for me for free, you'd have to pay me to accept your shit, now quit crying and go work your minimum wage job you fucking failure.
>>
>>300553
> I feel so stupid sometimes.

That's because you are stupid. Learn how to spell.
>>
>>300631
I have a background in graphic design in uni and often see people make their own logos and business cards that don't look any worse than what a designer does.

I would never say this to a client though.
>>
>>300638
Graphic design is an old profession.

Hieroglyphics can be considered graphic design.
>>
>>300687
Uneducated yet I went uni to study art and design and you didn't.

Okay, that makes sense.
>>
>>300700
>When you conduct months of internal interviews, opposition research, compose hundreds of concepts, spend weeks on refinement, run designs through AB testing and strategic evaluation, develop an identity system that carries through collateral and media elements flawlessly, all while the board of a multimillion dollar organization is breathing down your neck, then you've executed a brand.

EG months of mashing shapes and fonts together with the click of a mouse in illustrator.
>>
File: 2012-coda-gear-shift-knob.jpg (751KB, 1500x938px) Image search: [Google]
2012-coda-gear-shift-knob.jpg
751KB, 1500x938px
>>300729
There's more to it than that.
Extensive planning and research goes into these things.
Anyone worth their salt does more than just slap a few shapes together. That's not graphic design, more just the "graphics" part. People who just throw together something willy nilly don't really deserve to call themselves graphic designers (so I guess you're right there).

Designing something in any field/profession is a task that requires work and effort to reach an end product that is functional in the space it's meant to be in. Whether that be a building, a logo, software, car, etc. It's as much a science as it is an art. If it wasn't, some things wouldn't be as functional and intuitive, because the engineers would be making the decisions of both form and function (pic somewhat related).

To say that graphic design is just what you see on the surface is kind of ignorant.
It's like assuming all archaeologists are just like Indiana Jones or something. Which is a shitty comparison, I'll admit.
>>
>>300731
Aka scribbling thumb nails.

It's not a difficult skill to arrange fonts and shapes.

You are forgetting you are actually talking to someone who has studied graphic design.
>>
I generally agree, but there are some really good designers out there who know more than just fucking illustrator and shit.
>>
>>300736
Thank you,
>>
>>300735
Just because that's what you do doesnt mean all graphic designers do that.
Thumbnails are an important part, but so is meeting with clients and doing on location research (if able), seeing how they operate, the company's personality. That sort of thing. Proofs, meeting with printers, all sorts of things.

At this point I guess I'm just arguing because I put more work into what I do than just making the final product in Illustrator. I put my best into what I work on and try to take it seriously.

You're entitled to your opinion though, and to be honest on some degree I do agree with you. I know plenty of people that put the minimal amount of work required and make do just fine.
>>
>>300739
It's not what "I" do.

It what 95 percent of graphic designers do.
>>
>>300739
Once again you keep talking to me like I don't have any education in graphic design.

When in fact I am only posting it hear because if I said it where I work the other designers would get pissed off.
>>
>>300741
Not that anon, but where do you work? I have a full-time at a nice company but I want to push myself even further.
>>
Graphic design is literally everywhere you look. Brands, advertisement, etc. would look like shit without it. If you were an "artist" you would know the value of symbols. It's as if there are different kinds of arts or something??

On Netflix they just came out with Abstracts which focuses on different kinds of arts and design. Watch the one about Graphic Art. It definitely gave me a better impression.
>>
>>300749
OP here already saw that.

Also most brands do look like shit.
>>
>>300756
What's it like at the top anon?
Clearly you must be, because you know better than people who make gigantic sums of money even though they just throw something together.

Does everyone come to you for your creative input? You must know the true universal secret of design.
>>
Truth is, not every job can be an elite sacred ancient guild profession.

Sometimes they're just trivial fields which people happen to want and need, which benefit from specialization. Sure everyone can pick out furniture to put in a room, but they'll never be able to do it with the quality of someone who dedicated their life to it, like an interior decorator.

Same with design, it's ultimately insignificant (like most things), but people like both seeing it and making it, and as long as that's the case, it's going to be a job.
>>
>>300758
The people who make gigantic sums of money are usually people like paula scher who also know how to work with their hands when the it's needed.

They aren't aren't people who would have never been able to work in design if adobe didn't make everything simple.
>>
McDonalds adds are fucking ugly!
>>
>>300741
>Arby's
>>
To anyone who feels insecure because of this thread: don't.

The fact that some people happen to be really good at design with very little practice and no formal education doesn't invalidate the work of others.

Bad design is everywhere. Good designers are needed. Do whatever it takes to be the best designer you can be, and help make the world more beautiful. Help make things easier to use. Learn how to make your contributions great by using whatever resources you have at your disposal.

OP is an obvious troll, but I know his words will ring true to a lot of people. Don't fall for it.
>>
>>300741
Out of curiosity, and not envy or bitterness, assuming you're honest, why do you still come here? I mean, clearly this place doesn't offer enough quality material or even a mature interaction, so what brings you back?
>>
>>300726
That's great, good for them. If they're able to make their own logos that turn out professional looking that means they have good taste and natural talent. That doesn't prove anything, though, because plenty of people _don't_ have that natural talent and taste. So they either make their own shit and it looks terrible, or they go to professionals who can make something good for them.

Just because some people don't need the help of professionals doesn't mean the profession is invalid. Some people remodel their own houses. That doesn't mean contractors are worthless. Some people do their own plumbing. That doesn't mean plumbers are a joke.
>>
>>300791
>Do whatever it takes to be the best designer you can be, and help make the world more beautiful.

I got into this via frontend web dev, and this is exactly what pushes me forward. I remember the nostalgia I had for old video games and PC UIs and Designer's Republic print ads and I get so nostalgic I can cry.

I want to be able to do that for others.
>>
>>300791
Best comment so far in this thread.
>>
>>300702

Fucking lol, I know what I am doing.

You think just because I am not disillusioned about how easy it is to learn adobe that you are a better designer than me?

You think you are a better designer than me because I create things by hand and with adobe?

You think being an adobe hack means you are a good designer?
>>
>>300801

I wouldn't go as far as worthless or no skill at all.

Just not as complected as the people who do it try to tell everyone.

Pretty much anyone can become a graphic designer now thanks to adobe. Many professional designers would not have been able to do anything before adobe.
>>
>>300905
Then I'm sure you know how to design and setup a 14 color double pass flexo job no problem, huh? You know, since adobe makes it so "easy"
>>
>>300909
Watch youtube tutorials about for a day maybe a week and you will be a master.
>>
>>300914
Youtube doesnt substitute real world experience.
You don't learn to deal with printers and vendors from Youtube. Theory works only so far.
>>
>>300920
>Social skills are a special ability that nobody in other professions have.
>>
>>300922
rekt
>>
>>300914
kek

Newb defected
>>
>>300553
>They just photobash things, and "draw" logos and shit in illustrator. (usually just putting circles and other shapes together)

yeah, and drawing logos is super easy... It took me like 4 hours to do a eye on corel.
>>
>>300651
How can I find designers like this? I mean GD that actually KNOW what their doing, not only charging extra because they think they're good?
I want guaranteed results. What's a place to look for these kinds of desingers?
>>
>>300553
Not sure if trolling or just stupid.
>>
>>301146
Its painfully obvious that OP is either a troll or frustrated that he can't get shit done.
At the uni of applied sciences I visit, everyones skills range from complete beginner to pro.
The reason why everyone thinks that the design degree is shit is because everyone is let into such design courses. But if you are good and can distinguish yourself enough from the average designer graduate, you will make good money eitherway.
>>
>Graphic designers are just people who know how to use adobe products

That's already something if you ask mean. Like whole CC package? That's some professional stuff to know.

A nurse can make some stuff looking at online tutorials but when you contact customer asking you to create a magazine layout with specific print parameters + animated banner based on same theme + suddenly a billboard poster out of this banner because he has just changed his mind + also all of it super fast because the customer has already deadline set for distribution and fuck you – gl with that.

It's not about putting circles together, it's about knowing these tools to degree you are more efficient at using them than anyone else so putting circles together with 10xspeed while riding monocycle down the mountain is no problem for you.
>>
>>300613
truth
>>
>>301138
ask for their portfolio
>>
>>300651

you should network more + make sure you leave a good impression of a interesting (not arrogant) guy when you did an assignment. People always give your name to others. So you get job after job after job.

also, you need a huge asskissing scene at youtube. You won't have to show your face, that's gay, only you post your work!
>>
I was going to pursue a BA (Hons) in graphic design but i'm not so sure now. Should I pursue a nutrition degree instead and do graphic design as a side thing? What do you guys think is the more sensible? Before you ask, yes, I fucking love nutrition and sports science, I just feel like it won't allow me to express my creativity as I would if I did graphic design instead, but gd is very stressful in a professional environment, correct?
>>
>>301664
if you get a graphic design degree you'll never get into a nutrition/sports position in the next 10 years. could still do private nutritionist work.

if you get a nutrition degree you'll never make it at a company looking for a graphic designer for the next 10 years. could still do freelance.

your choice my man
>>
>>300728
He means you don't understand graphic design and have learnt nothing from your lessons.
>>
There are so many young people getting into graphic design these days and 99% of them are talentless window lickers who play a lot of video games and doodle stupid anime characters all day. And saying that graphic designers know how to use Adobe products - that's arguable. I bet you still don't know what most of the tools do in Illustrator. I bet you feel a little panicky when you try to make a curve with the bezier pen tool.

Fact is, you shouldn't have gone into Graphic Design because you're not a graphic designer, you just liked the idea of being a graphic designer. And now you feel cheated because your true calling is making me some chicken McNuggets so you can pay off that fake certificate you got from one of those fake unaccredited art colleges because you got shitty grades in high school.

So yeah, totes, you fucked up.
>>
File: 1481176755737.jpg (31KB, 491x418px) Image search: [Google]
1481176755737.jpg
31KB, 491x418px
>>300553
Agreed. /gd/ is a circle jerking echo-chamber cult with no measurable talents, just arrogance. Just like /wg/.
>>
File: 5SDt3Sf.gif (688KB, 320x246px) Image search: [Google]
5SDt3Sf.gif
688KB, 320x246px
>>301695
>you feel cheated because your true calling is making me some chicken McNuggets so you can pay off that fake certificate you got from one of those fake unaccredited art colleges because you got shitty grades in high school.
F-fuck this scares me. I haven't gone to college yet but i'm scared this might be me, I went two trade school for GD my last 2 years of high school but this might be me in the future
>>
>>301792

It all comes down to how much work you put into it. >>301695 those kids end up working at Target or McDonalds.

But if graphic design is truly your passion. And you can spend hours designing, talking about design, and being around designers. And if you are good with the business end of things, like networking and expanding your circle. In my opinion you should be fine.

I'll give you an example. I was just on a photoshoot with a guy applying for a scholarship. He organized this big shoot, and has a huge idea in mind and is working on that idea. I met another kid interested in the same scholarship. He didn't hand in his application on time because his "printer was jammed" The second kid smokes weed and doesn't go to school often.

Who do you think will be the successful one in their fields?

You get out of things what you put into them.
>>
>>301077
Maybe you suck?
>>
I make $83,000 as a designer.

Sounds like you suck at what you do and can't prove you have any value. Must feel bad.
>>
>>302592
>/wg/
BOOOOOM
>>
>>300553

If your nurse girlfriend is a better typesetter than you are even though you had a professional education than you should consider doing something else.
>>
>>300741
In every class, there is always someone who scores the lowest grade.

I honestly believe that in your class, it was you.

And if you're one of the people carrying the torch for future design, then we're all in serious trouble.
>>
>>300604
>if graphic design was easy then /gd/ wouldn't be filled with so much hilariously awful garbage
Pretty much this

Also about those who say "hurr durr it's a con job" are the little faggots who stay behind the computer all day doing useless shit on photoshop instead of actually doing big time text correction, handmade graphical design or getting their hands dirty operating/maintening bigger equipement.
Once I finish school, I'll probably apply for this display company who does a lot of large format and car wraps, not exactly blue collar stuff, but still beats being a pretentious whiny faggot who gives Graphical design a bad name
>>
>>303706
How could gd be good when 12 years old post here?
>>
>>300553
Sometimes i think about this shit too.

Like realistically if shit goes down, what can I do?

I can't help you if you get sick. Or shoot a gun. Or farm. Or make chemicals. Or even cook a decent meal.

But I can make you a fucking cool looking business card!

Just fuck my shit up senpai
>>
>>301695
inferiority complex is dripping off you pham
>>
>>303751
>Like realistically if shit goes down, what can I do?

Why can't you learn to cook, shoot, apply first aid, etc WITHOUT it being your career?

Just because I know the difference between a b-spline and a bezier curve doesn't mean those are the only skills I have. I can also reload ammo, clean a fish, fieldstrip my guns in the dark, grow potatoes and bleed a clutch.

Put down the mouse, and go learn some things.
>>
>>303753
>inferiority complex is dripping

The only thing dripping in his post is Truth, and some of you should grab a bucket to keep it for future reference.

"Graphic designers are just people who know how to use adobe products."

Really? And Chefs are just people that know how to use a fucking stove.

Keep up that anger, keep pretending that you're only talented if you're broke and making rave posters in exchange for a beer at the show.

But hey - maybe you're right... maybe I'm not talented. I'm just an Adobe hack. But I've make a fuck ton of money "faking design", "doing shit in photoshop and illustrator". I completely own my house. My car? It's paid for too. The cat - well, I adopted him from a shelter.

When you were getting high at 2am drooling over Waifu, I was learning about Pantone. When you were spending all weekend ganking another noob on Xbox, I was learning ripple edits in Premiere.

And while you're asking some other /gd artnoob how you can improve your stupid derivative photobash tshirt, I'm showing a paying client 10 different logo prototypes.

Or, you know... you can stop whining about an industry you can't work in, and instead - get skilled enough to become a valuable part of it.
>>
>>300791
Good guy anon. I'm surprised to see such a positive comment here.
>>
File: 1403823587220.png (297KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1403823587220.png
297KB, 1024x576px
>>300553
Work as a designer at a small print shop for a month doing local crap, and then tell me anyone can do it. People are generally really, really shitty at this kind of thing.

I bet your GF can dress herself just fine, but there are plenty of people who very obviously can't dress themselves. Your GF might think she's better at picking out what you should wear than you are. There are also people who want to look better than they can manage on their own. There are careers based on that alone, and unlike them you actually create shit.

Your girlfriend made her own business cards. Good for her. She knows how to make cards that work for her, fit her need, match her personality, and give the impression she wants them to give. Can she do that for someone else who is very different and wants something very different? And still make them look fine? Will that person agree they look fine? What if someone wants to look more than fine?

Design is putting together an aesthetic that fits a purpose or satisfies a client, and to get that you need to know what's available to you.

She has enough know-how to make something not shitty and computer savvy enough to put it together. Have her design 5 very different business cards for very different businesses. Have her make a flyer for a metal concert and then right after that a flyer for some church event for grandmas.

I guarantee you everything she makes will look the same. My money is on everything ending up with a script or calligraphy font, or if she's really clever she'll use something that looks like a coffee shop chalk board. All the colors will involve purples and pinks and look like invitations to a baby shower or an informal bridesmaids party.

I'm sure the grandmas might find the designs cute but even they would ask for something less flowery.

Your job is about designing for someone other than yourself, more than just what you like, and more than just what you think looks good.
>>
oh look its this guy again
>>
>>303957
Oh, look! It's a repetitive tongue-in-cheek pattern that designers try to ignore because it hurts their fragile ego.
>>
I'm a really good traditional artist, and I took graphic design since fine art is basically losing income.

It's amazing how many people in this field are awful at design or at least lack having an eye for a good composition - untrained or trained. But design is a pretty hard and complicated process, something can "look good", but it doesn't mean it serves its purpose as a good design.
>>
File: mblock1.jpg (84KB, 800x459px) Image search: [Google]
mblock1.jpg
84KB, 800x459px
>>303984
>design is a pretty hard and complicated process
Agreed.
>>
if you got your gd impressions from /gd/ itself then yeah you'll think its pretty retarded

else, why the fuck does a nurse need a business card

post em nerd

sage
>>
File: 1490933157095.jpg (7KB, 236x177px) Image search: [Google]
1490933157095.jpg
7KB, 236x177px
My sides
>>
>>303965
Oh look it's a butthurt retard crying because people called him out on his shitty bait thread.
>>
>>303965

i just gd just for the sake of gd, either im feeling creative or artsy.
>>
>>304004
>saying sage

Newfag spotted

But yes, post them faggot
>>
>>304012
[code]
if (true) {
debate >>304002
}
[/code]
>>
>>300553yeah you should feel stupid, but we all make mistakes. Choose a higher tier occupation such as animation (2d or 3d) that's what I did. Those that survive it have something to be proud of. It's harder obviously so choose hard stuff only if it's your thing. You didn't lose much by studying the basic of basics, I studied fine arts for 4 years during highschool before animation. You need a good base for the advanced careers. Good luck
>>
File: 1470019232199.gif (1MB, 300x185px) Image search: [Google]
1470019232199.gif
1MB, 300x185px
>>300565
>You'll find the most pretentious and egotistical people in this industry.

I'm so happy to read this from other person
>>
>>304030
Animationand gaming if for neckbeard losers who think they're gonna work at pixar but never will.
>>
>>300791
Thank you for this post, anon. I was actually starting to regret my dreams before reading your post.
>>
There's more to graphic design than just making things look pretty mate. You have to take into account how well the product functions for it's intended cause, does it attract the target audience? Does your product reflect the company? Does it invoke the right feeling in your audience?

Yes you're partially correct, the practical side of design is a piece of piss but a true designer studies his whole life to understand theoretical reasons to why and how something works.
>>
>>301695
The tone of this is pretty mean, but there's definitely some truth in it.

I don't really have a horse in this race because I don't have any interest in becoming a graphic design professional and I never went to school for anything related to design, but anecdotally I know two different people who did go to "design school" and are currently doing nothing with their education. One person is working at a department store, the other worked at a hotel until they got fired for being absent too many times. Now he lives with his mom and plays video games all day long.

Both of them were plebs with no taste and very little innate talent, but honestly, even shitty designers can find work if they have the right social skills. The sad fact is that they didn't have the personality and drive needed to succeed, and they're better off doing menial jobs where they can be bossed around by some middle manager.

I was lucky enough to realize that I was a lot like them before I spent a ton of money on some design degree. I realized I wouldn't be able to handle the rejection, the constant criticism, and stubborn clients, the competition with other artists, and all of the bootstrapping that is required to prove yourself in the field.

Now I have a safe, comfy, undemanding job that pays all of my bills and I do design work on the side for little passion projects that I care about. No debt, no regrets, life is good.

Despite what op says, professional design is a real career that requires real talent and real education. It just isn't for everyone.
>>
>>304518
I'm nearly finished my graphic design degree and I am always questions if I should have just stayed with art or did law.

Artists shit on graphic designers.

When I studied art we used to laugh at the graphic designers and the shit they do at the end of year student exhibitions...

Even the art teachers would say "Doesn't their shitty exhibition make you feel great that you're pursuing art and not that comercial souless computer crap"

Well teacher kinda but I want to make a living...

Although what art students say about graphic design students is correct.
>>
>>304536
>Even the art teachers would say "Doesn't their shitty exhibition make you feel great that you're pursuing art and not that comercial souless computer crap"

...says the art teacher who dreams of her art selling at Sotheby's for $2.5 Million.
>>
Most graphic designers are fucking morons.

Most graphic design is total garbage.

Bad graphic design helps people get lost at airports.

Or a shitty butterfly ballot changes the outcome of an election.

Or a bad form that nurses fill out can kill people with bad dosing measurements that are difficult to calculate.

Most graphic designers are total fucking morons, but that doesn't mean morons can do this job well.
>>
>>304539
Roasted.
>>
>>304536
sounds like you are in a pretty petty school with pretty petty people.

what a fucking waste of air.
>>
>>301815
Also, the fact that anon went to trade school for 2 years says a lot about his interest level. Don't sweat it, listen to >>301815 and you'll do fine.
>>
>>301792
why would you go to college for gd if you already took 2 years at a trade school? just get a job, don't go into more debt.

5 years into your career, no one will give a fuck what pre-workforce training you got
>>
>>304536
dont worry man, im a musician and we laugh at artists all the time. they're pretentious morons.
>>
>>304536
yep, and after the graduation they go back to work in fucking asda because their degree is useless
>>
File: you.jpg (257KB, 800x1199px) Image search: [Google]
you.jpg
257KB, 800x1199px
>>303817
>>
>>300553
graphics design degree is literally a joke unless you really set yourself apart by being an absolute fucking master of adobe products and are able to be constantly creative and original with your ideas
>>
>>300553
sounds like you suck

no sweat though, I suck too, and I also went to school for design
>>
>>304564
How does one describe their art without sounding oretentious though?

If you are getting inveterviewed for a book or magazine you can't be like "yeah, my art's okay but not the best" because thats how people will then think of it.
>>
What irks me the most is that they use macs and track pad all the time. They are clearly in pain but choose not to buy and use a mouse.
>>
>>304723
Clearly how? Have you ever used one? Modern MacBook trackpads are amazing. I use mine for everything (including 3d modeling) and never experience any sort of discomfort or fatigue and never feel like it's slowing me down or holding me back.

I own multiple mice and never feel the urge to use them because the touch pad is just that good.

I don't even like Apple. The company is rapidly going down the shitter, the software is getting worse over time rather than better, and the cost/benefit ratio is gradually getting worse and worse, but there's no denying that they've come up with some great hardware.
>>
>>304766
I have used macs and I fucking hate them, overpriced limited crap
I don't find track pads practical at all for design and work. Have to drag the finger a lot to hit anywhere on the screen. I guess if people have used the track pad for years they become proficient. Years playing FPS games made me way faster with the mouse.
>>
>>304766
>Modern MacBook trackpads are amazing. I use mine for everything (including 3d modeling)

I bet you're really building 3D at the speed of light on that trackpad, too.
>>
File: 1280px-Google_2015_logo.svg.png (45KB, 1280x433px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Google_2015_logo.svg.png
45KB, 1280x433px
I get to vector really shitty looking garbage and get maximum praise for it
it's the best job possible
>>
>>304894
This

I do shit in 5 minutes that blows everyone away and it's half assed shit.
If clients worked the tools even slightly, graphic designers fall from their pedestal. No wonder they bitch and moan about opinionated clients.
>>
>>304898
>>304894
Where the fuck do you people get these (stupid) clients? Where do you live?
>>
>>304928
Mate, the people you're replying to aren't designers, they're trolls
>>
that’s the memy /gd
>>
>>300701
Engineering is creativity. And you would definitely try to get a human second opinion if your robot doctor prescribed you vicodin.
>>
If you have to take a degree, why don't you just take a degree in UX design, instead? I recently finished my master's degree in UX design and companies basically threw themselves after me. My starting salary is $58k, with no experience. My friend that took a degree in graphic design can't even find a job, can only do the occasional freelance project.
>>
>>305359
Because not everyone lives in the US of fucking A.
>>
That's why I don't take this shit seriously I just do it for fun.
Getting paid for a shitty ass job that a 12 year old can do is just beautiful, I'm making money for combining shapes and moving the mouse around, it's literally a dream job.
>>
>>305374
Well, I'm not in the US either, I'm in Europe, so what's your point?
>>
>>305377
It won't last for a lifetime, though.
>>
Don't let this glorious thread die, bump.
>>
Fuck you all. Being a graphic designer is ez. All I need is practice. I'll make it.
>>
>>300553
where I come from there are people like that but they are technicians, as a graphic designer here I spent 3 years learning how to draw, how to di traditional prints, paints, lots of theory and some art history, the last 2 years of the mayor was learning machines, some software, doing lots of contests for real companies and computer stuff, I really liked my school and learned a lot, tge first thing they told us is that a real graphic designer should be able to work with just pencil and paper, also, I know how you feel, some schools started making these shitty 3 year majors and called them GD, I don't claim to have more talent but what I do does go beyond adobe's overpriced crap.
>>
>>300553
That's why a good gd degree will teach you to draw and educate your taste, moron
>>
And you posted this because...?
>>
>>305377
>graphic design is just making shapes and moving a mouse around.

I bet that you have a Fiver and live at your parents house. Stop trolling and get some taste faggot.
>>
>>306174
I'm doing a GD degree and all the main thing I have learned is GD doesn't require as much talent and passion as I thought it does.

Some of the students have zero interest in creativity and are only doing it because they think it would be a nice office job.

I'm not making this shit up.

This is also said to be one of the best graphic design schools around that I go to.
Thread posts: 136
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.