[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

interest in this shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1487775475542.png (136KB, 591x517px) Image search: [Google]
1487775475542.png
136KB, 591x517px
Is the ability to draw necessary to get into graphic design?
I'm decent at photoshop and editing pictures, but what's stopping me from getting into this field is that I can't even draw stickman
>>
>>299797
it depends, it is really useful imho, there's some fields of design that don't require drawing skills like web design/layout/tv prod/motion graphics etc
bt w, you can learn how to draw no matter how bad you suck within months just read some books.
heres a few good ones
betty edwards new drawing
perpective made easy
how to draw / how to render
>>
I dont think its necessary but it helps. if you're into photography and are good at typography I feel like theres a lot you can do without drawing. i feel like its tough to market yourself as a graphic designer with just drawings. obviously there is specific areas of graphic design where you're fucked if you cant draw but I dont think its make or break.
>>
>>299800
Thanks anon, i'll check them out
>>
>>299797
Hey I think im the man for your questions
I'm a grad. in mediadesign and cant draw for shit (freehand)
(but you can learn anything!)
but I still graduated with the 2nd highest score of my draft

ask my anything you want
>>
>>299848
do you have a job though
>>
Drawing ability is not necessary in professional graphic design jobs. If you want to be a pro "Illustrator" then yes obviously, but for GD drawing is jot necessary. I have been a pro GD for over 20 years.
>>
no, I just do chicken scratch pictures and write random illegible shit next to chicken scratch pictures and draw random lines and shit to make it look like I did something artistic and intelligent, idiots will eat that shit up

one time I wrote ass cunt bitch nigga 200 times illegibly on a page, and my boss thought I was some kind of genius, that's modern art for you, a bunch of idiots in the field
>>
From graphic designer to illustrator there is a rainbow of possibilities, all defined by how skilled you are in design elements/drawing. I believe a full designer must master both bc my personal references (mucha, Laurent durieux, Matt fergusson) are/were masters at both. Analyze what field interests you the most right now and how proportional these two skills are.
>>
File: 1479862073230.png (2MB, 720x2127px) Image search: [Google]
1479862073230.png
2MB, 720x2127px
>>299838
here's a copy paste from /ic/

Ernest Norling - Pespective Made Easy
Scott Robertson - How to Draw
Scott Robertson - How to Render
Andrew Loomis - Drawing the Head and Hands
Andrew Loomis - Figure Drawing for All its Worth
Stephen Rogers Peck - Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist
Eliot Goldfinger - Animal Anatomy for Artists: The Elements of Form
Michael Massen - Drawing the Clothed Figure
Andrew Loomis - Creative Illustration
Michael Massen - Drawing the Clothed Figure
George Bridgman - Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life
Michael Hampton - Figure Drawing: Design and Invention
Ken Hultgren - Art of Animal Drawing

1. Scott Robertson - The Skillful Huntsman
Reasoning: Without this, you won't get the valuable experience of being in the head of a designer, or understand the design processes.
2. Cross off How to Render. Replace with Gurney's Light and Color. Why? It's less technical and gives you a better general understanding of lighting. Thus, better for
a hobbyist. How to Render can be a supplement and/or optional.
(Skip Drawing the Head and Hands. You're going to be designing things, not illustrating. It's okay to use reference as a designer to supplement knowledge. A lot do,
such as John Park, for example.)
3. How to Draw by Robertson and Perspective Made Easy stay on your list.
4. One figuredrawing book. Loomis, Bridgman, Hampton, or Vilppu. Pick whichever teacher you like the most. You don't need a book for drawing clothed figure designs.
5. Atlas of Human Anatomy can stay as your artistic anatomy book. Everything from '4' isn't a strict anatomy book, so it's important to keep this one.
6. Art of Animal Drawing can stay, fairly good book.
>>
>>300128
I find it hard to believe that someone who has been in the field for 20 years thinks you don't need to be able to draw to be a good designer.
Yes, you can do design but you'll be no better than every other mediocre photoshop monkey out there, and when you come up against someone who has that extra skillset you'll lose every time.
>>
>>300202
/thread
>>
I'm 5mo.s into drawabox.com and my drawing has improved drastically, I'm sure it will help a lot in the long run
>>
>>299797
No but it seriously helps. I'm a graphic designer professionally and get so angry at myself for my inability to supply my graphic design work with my own illustrations/artwork. It really hinders the creative process, stock vectors are only good for so long
>>
im kinda involved in my local scene and i want to make concert flyers, is learning how to draw a MUST?
photoshop can only take me so far
>>
>>300381

that's pretty fucking rad
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.