[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Graphic design

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: david bowie.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
david bowie.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
I have made this album cover for David bowies Hunky dory.
My teacher said it was bullshit and told me to re do it again without using any stock images. im super confused if anyone could help it would be good.
Or you could make one for me to claim as my own, thanks.
Any opinions would be good
>>
>>295662
Your teacher was right. Lose the television and the sci fi space images. That purple and that green are hideous, but not in a good way. Just plain ugly.

If you're going to use a head shot of Bowie (God rest his soul), why center it horizontally and vertically?

Here's what you can do: print out any image of Bowie you want. Find a ruler and divide the image into, say, 16 squares. Now blow up the image 500% and trace each square's image in a given media or style. Then stitch them all back together again. It would be difficult to fuck this up, it's a bulletproof solution.

The typography on the back cover deserves a public lashing with a multi-tongued whip. Seriously. Add a UPC code and that mouse type info block. Why is there a border on the back cover? What does that add or do?

I'm serious about the public lashing thing. Bad type is criminal. Straighten up and fly right.
>>
>>295675
Thanks for that dude I made it all scifi with the tv because it links with his main song on the album Life on mars. and the tv is because the true meaning f this song is about tv controlling people
and the orange is because mars is orange
>>
>>295675
Are there any other tips you could tell me?
>>
>>295675

Yeah, that back cover... it looks like you just grabbed a stock image and punted some stock font on it.

Look at some REAL cd covers... try and determine why they were designed in that manner. It's not best if it just looks like a track listing.

And the front cover - agreed, that TV doesn't match, at all. I see what you were going for, but it ends up looking like a bad copy/paste composite.
>>
>>295687
Thanks that is very helpful
>>
File: david bowie idea 2.5.jpg (2MB, 2953x1417px) Image search: [Google]
david bowie idea 2.5.jpg
2MB, 2953x1417px
>>295675
This is my new idea (not finished yet)
is it better or worse? any opinions
>>
>>295759
red onion.

basic trace

http://blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/articles/showcase-creative-album-cover-designs-illustrations
>>
>>295764
>http://blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/articles/showcase-creative-album-cover-designs-illustrations
so is it good or bad?
>>
>>295759
Sorry, worse. Take a break, I get the feeling you're trying to force it. Maybe look for inspiration in unusual places. Just my two cents, you certainly have great potential, keep at it.
>>
>>295766
It's terrible. I can't read it and it looks like onion. You've just shuved layer styles onto it
>>
>>295793
Tell me how to improve it please
>>
>>295793
This is my newest improvement
>>
File: david bowie idea 2.57.jpg (592KB, 1417x1417px) Image search: [Google]
david bowie idea 2.57.jpg
592KB, 1417x1417px
>>295793
>>
>>295798
>>295796
You're polishing a turd. Delete this. Go back to the original symbolic ideas you had, but find a better way to express them visually without relying on stock images.Sketch your ideas on paper.

This is a hard assignment btw, and you don't seem to know anything yet about design principles. I would confront your teacher about that.

oh and fuck off with this shit:
>Or you could make one for me to claim as my own
>>
>>295805
This is very hard for my as its my first year doing graphic design and my teacher forced an album upon me. (I don't listen to his songs, not my style)
And wants us to make it look like nothing ever made before.
>>
>>295806
>I don't listen to his songs, not my style
well fucking start then, and watch the music videos. Bowie is an artist with strong concepts behind his music, and your stuff feels nothing like it.
>>
>>295808
I tried man but I'm just super fucking confused with what to do to express his crazy personality
>>
File: quick1 copy.png (5MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
quick1 copy.png
5MB, 2000x2000px
>>295809

This song has a lot of his themes in it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kszLwBaC4Sw&ab_channel=DavidBowieVEVO

also it doesnt matter if you dont like it. Thats what the real world is like! do some research.

Also go to behance and look through all day, get loads of images you like. If its your first year just start copying shit and merging stuff together.

I am also banning you from layer styles.
>>
>>295806

Welcome to the world of design. Which means you are USUALLY designing art for things/companies/whatever that aren't your personally hobby or interest.

Seriously, that's the job. Making stuff that you may care nothing about LOOK GOOD.

This career isn't about making some cute fucking meme and charging clients for it, or finding exactly the right font to use with a rainbow gradient.
>>
>>295879
Im strating to realise that now thanks to my teacher and you guys here, but as far as I know a designer produces a specification sheet with the client to get an idea on what to do, and that is the hardest thing for me, Im only 16 so im not expecting to do a masterpiece but something decent.
>>
>>295881
>>295879And im also not allowed to use any image from google or the internet not even of Bowie.
She want me to create all the works from scratch with evidence
>>
File: fce0c5b1035c41708136883c8c083b45.jpg (307KB, 1152x1536px) Image search: [Google]
fce0c5b1035c41708136883c8c083b45.jpg
307KB, 1152x1536px
>>295885
this is an book cover for James Bond "From Russia With Love"
find some classic bowie things and make a lil illustration of it first.
>>
You need to work on your typography, m8.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.