[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long until skeuomorphism will be back in trend?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: 9dfb60a8de6d6254331dc80843dbc742.jpg (120KB, 1400x600px) Image search: [Google]
9dfb60a8de6d6254331dc80843dbc742.jpg
120KB, 1400x600px
How long until skeuomorphism will be back in trend?
>>
>>294437
>2mb vs 200kb
i don't see it coming back anytime soon but i also don't see flat/material being a good solution
>>
what graphic design trends have ever made a full comeback? skeuo in particular was too much a child of it's time. i doubt it'll ever be popular again
>>
What about skeumorphic flat design?
Buttons with shadows which give them some tactile quality ect.
>>
>>294500
that's basically what material design is
>>
>>294502
Fuck material design

Colours are not skeumorphs
>>
>>294437
I hope never. Skeuomorphism is a cheap crutch you use if you can't actually lay something out properly
>>
flat graphic design will be gone soon. its been in trend for over 4 years and people will get bored of it.
>>
>>294528
Implying it wasn't boring from the beginning.
>>
>>294437
>>294439
>>294528
>>294561

Flat/ultra minimalist trends will not end until smart phones have some form of large format display.

Mobile devices are the primary catalyst for current design trends. Until phones project a hologram, large format interface, or are superimposed displayed over your vision we won't see anything but ultra simplicity and flat stuff.

It's a matter of form following function.
>>
nobody's stopping you though
>>
>>294580
But early iphones had icons in this style.
>>
>>295241
that's part of the point. Graphic design will be weighted down by minimalist trends until displays get much larger.
>>
>>295250
Why does display size matter though? It's just the trend of minimalism itself. The original iphones screen was like 3.5 or 4 inches, it wasnt the display size that forced the trend.
>>
skeumorphism is not dead.it's still the most effective way to appeal to the masses. less educated people will always prefer realism, but high-end art will be more abstract. most good graphic designers try to be artists, therefore they will go for that, when they have the chance.
>>
>>295265
here is an example of a post that makes sense in theory, yet is completely wrong on every level
>>
>>295268
is it? in my experience this is the case.
explain pls
>>
>>295265
>it's still the most effective way to appeal to the masses
tell that to Apple

>less educated people
education is irrelevant to how you use software.

>people will always prefer realism
in paintings, maybe. In software, they prefer efficiency (simple to understand and quick to use).

>high-end art will be more abstract
Learn your art history, flat design is figurative and has nothing to do with abstraction.
Also, lots of contemporary high-end art is not abstract either.

>most good graphic designers try to be artists
I don't know why you think that.
>>
I hope it will never come back.
>>
>>294437
Apple's version of it will be gone soon since its regression.

Androids version of it with "material" and shadow could be around for a while
>>
>>295396
let me defend the points
>>it's still the most effective way to appeal to the masses
>tell that to Apple
they are dialing it back pretty much, though, aren't they? it got a lot simpler and flatter since the first iphone

>>less educated people will always prefer realism
>education is irrelevant to how you use software.
>in paintings, maybe. In software, they prefer efficiency (simple to understand and quick to use).
that's true, but taste plays a role in what product do they choose to use. there is a huge demographic of people who will always be more amazed by skeumorphic design, because it looks like something that has a lot of work in it (as opposed to the "but I could've drawn that" effect). what i am saying is that if you are doing it right, skeumorphic sells better than flat, in my experience.

>>high-end art will be more abstract
>Learn your art history, flat design is figurative and has nothing to do with abstraction. Also, lots of contemporary high-end art is not abstract either.
ok, you convinced me

>>most good graphic designers try to be artists
>I don't know why you think that.
you don't think that? I mean I pretty much can't remember any graphic designer who i have talked with, that would not wish to be considered as an artist. maybe thats different in the US.
>>
>>295525

>it got a lot simpler and flatter since the first iphone
yes ? Flat design sells well, that's exactly my point.

>there is a huge demographic of people who will always be more amazed by skeumorphic design
not really, mostly a small group of /b/-browsing teenage boys

>as opposed to the "but I could've drawn that" effect
again you're thinking of painting. People don't stand still looking at software; they want information and interaction, and they want it fast.

>you don't think that?
of course not, artists don't have any advantages over designers (especially today, as graphic design is now being considered by art museums and galleries). Graphic design is a respected field and is expanding both commercially and academically. And that's true in the US, Europe, and East Asia.
No offense, I think you're taking too seriously the opinion of some random art school freshmen.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.