[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

help me out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

Ok, so I'm interested in graphic design but I've never done anything of the like before and I'm wondering how does one start out. Do you just go with internet courses and books? Also how important is the ability to draw in gd? Thanks in advance.
>>
I'm trying to self-teach it now, but if you haven't already thought of a plan on how to learn it might be best for you to go to just go to a class for it. There's a lot to Graphic Design and you can get lost along the way.
>>
>>288551
I would recommend going to school for it, only because when youre taking a course you'll be forced to do assignments youre not interested in and those will help you grow. You don't have to know ho to draw but it'll help tremendously if you can. GD is pretty broad if you give us the specific area you want to focus on that'll help us help you and shit.
>>
>>288583

yeah this pretty much sums up what I was going to reply.

it is possible to break into the field without formal training but its really hard and takes a lot of time and practice.
>>
>>288583
I was thinking about logos and similar.
>>
>>288551
The positioning of the stylus is wrong and its bothering me.
>>
I have quite a few years experience designing in Illustrator and know my way around Photoshop although I don't use it a great deal. I need to improve my Illustrator skills so I can create complex shapes/logos with the Pen Tool effortlessly. I need to complete some challenging projects with InDesign to at least understand how all the fundamentals work. I need to do lots of things.

I'm currently just using Lynda tutorials and playing around a lot but I'm not really progressing. I find using tutorials to be like designing in a vacuum if that makes sense? You are just learning how to carry out certain tasks and learn keyboard shortcuts, its not progressing me. I also find a lot of the teachers on Lynda to be annoying and its a pain in the ass to be constantly opening exercise files and switching between the videos and workspace. All in all, I'm struggling.

I know the best way to learn is by working on challenging projects which I can also hopefully put in my portfolio. But I'm at a stage where I need to improve my software skills in order to be able to create my ideas properly. Its a bit of a Catch 22 right now and there is so much other stuff on my mind that I need to learn too.

But Uni or other courses are not an option, I simply can't afford it. I wish there was an Odin Project type resource for GD out there to make this easier. I just don't know how to prioritise my shit

Rant over
>>
>>288551
digital tutors + practice + time = learning
>>
>>288645
You can try making a book in inDesign. I learned alot by doing that. You dont have to write it it can be a picture book. I did one on religious symbols and I just copied and pasted the text.
>>
>>288674

Yeah I was going to try that. There is actually a tutorial course on Lynda with Nigel French where you create a book from scratch
>>
>>288551
Join us.
https://discord.gg/YRHjUWN
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.