[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At what point did this turn into a heap of shit performance wise?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

File: itJT21Vl_400x400.png (31KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
itJT21Vl_400x400.png
31KB, 400x400px
At what point did this turn into a heap of shit performance wise? I booted it up recently to draft up a book cover and it chokes on a canvas with basically fucking nothing while barely using a single core and less than a 1gb of ram
>>
>>286938
CS6 was the last best of all the adobe products. I still run AE and Premiere on it. All I ever need. Fuck CC
>>
>>286943
I actually think CS3 was the last of the good ones. Name a feature that you like after CS3.
>>
>>286948
This isn't about features, but performance. CS6 still work smooth as butter in modern machines, but (for example) the newer After Effect versions have REMOVED features, I shit you not. And multiprocessing is gone too.

But yeah most of the new features are shit too. The GPU preview in AI is great though.
>>
>>286948
Smart guides were introduced in CS4, and I think transparent gradients were too
>>
>>286938
Affinity Designer mate /thread
>>
>>286997
smart guides were in CS3

also
>transparent gradients
but you have to switch them to darken for them to RIP/print correctly... the old method of fading to white and turn on overprint is till more reliable.
>>
>>286943
Im with you. Stayed with cs6. At least until affinity is up to snuf
>>
Kind of related to the stories in this thread...

When Adobe went "cloud only or fuck off" I started using Draw primarily, as this covered my normal bases. I still have CS5.5 on a couple of terminals but I got months in between loading any app.

I believe in "voting with your wallet" and I also refuse to make money using pirated stuff, so I had to find an alt program. I use draw at work now too, there's a slight workflow issue but I take care to mitigate it.
>>
can confirm AI10 and CS6 are the best versions of AI ever created
>>
>>287056
Just got around to installing this and the tools for generating generic geometry alone make it worth using
>>
>>287056
This.

This program is all illustrator ever was and more, with a cleaner interface. The guide manager alone makes illustrator look like Internet Explorer 6 vs. Google Chrome
>>
>>287217
how hard is it to learn?, not an illustrator master but at least the thing is not as complex as autocad/3ds/maya interface wise.
>>
>>287234
If you're familiar with illustrator you should have no trouble,
>>
>>286938
It's the only Adobe software I don't like.
For some reason Corel Draw works better for me.
>>
>>286963
Not defending Adobe, but a lot of the features they removed from AE have been moved to Media Encoder, since they want to push that (so that you can share the same settings easier between Premiere, AE, Audition (I guess), etc).
>>
Most of the Adobe programs are bloated out the ass these days. I do think some of the new, little features are nice.

I wish you could configure the apps to only load the settings you want. There’s a lot of things in Photoshop that I never touch, and it would be cool to make it much more of a lightweight program.
>>
>>287288
Programs in general are not created like that because there's always a more lightweight solution that exists, i.e. older version or another simpler program altogether..
>>
>>286938

shit performance wise? I haven't noticed anything, and I work with some pretty huge files at times. I hope you're not using the mac version OP, I've seen it slouch around on my colleagues mac pro.
>>
File: [email protected] (48KB, 300x273px) Image search: [Google]
affinity-photo@2x-080720151632.png
48KB, 300x273px
DAILY REMINDER THAT AFFINITY PHOTO OPENS AND EDITS PSD FILES FASTER THAN PHOTOSHOP ITSELF
>DAILY REMINDER THAT AFFINITY PHOTO OPENS AND EDITS PSD FILES FASTER THAN PHOTOSHOP ITSELF
DAILY REMINDER THAT AFFINITY PHOTO OPENS AND EDITS PSD FILES FASTER THAN PHOTOSHOP ITSELF
>DAILY REMINDER THAT AFFINITY PHOTO OPENS AND EDITS PSD FILES FASTER THAN PHOTOSHOP ITSELF
i'm a proud shill
>>
>>287378

Please, shill me more. I'm eager to hear about the advantages over PS.
>>
File: Untitled.png (348KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
348KB, 1920x1080px
>>287377
Windows 7 x64
i5-4690, 8GB Ram, 750 Ti

Pic related is the document in question, the stroke gradient alone takes about 5 seconds to rerender
>>
>>287379
First off watch their recently released Affinity Designer 1.5's "what's new" -video and stop for a moment to think why you're still using Illustrator.
https://vimeo.com/185763872

second, head over to Serif's site and download a trial if just to dick around.
https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/

I would also like to remind you that these aren't cloud apps. You pay 50 bucks and it's yours FOREVER.
>>
>>287378
HEAR HEAR people! I'm a proud Affinity shill aswel just so good.
>>
>>287380

oh wow, interesting.

That is really weird, I can't get my laptop to lag at all even with some gradients and drop shadows etc. in files, let alone some of our print files in the 2-3 GB range. Weird.

Are you using a lot of clipping masks as well?
>>
>>287385

I'll have a go at this. Thanks :)
>>
>>287390
>>287385

Oh nevermind, it's for mac.
>>
>>287391
Affinity Photo already has a Windows version and they're (apparently?) porting Designer too.
>>
>>287217
Except therre is NO FUCKING OFFSET PATH TOOL. That is the most basic of fucking tools. An when you convert strokes to objects it generates a SHITTON of dirty nodes.

No no no, this software passes as a lite combined version of AI and PS and is fine for app design, but as vector software it is unprofessional garbage and unusable by anyone who does physical application design.
>>
File: 1477056501455.jpg (49KB, 700x490px) Image search: [Google]
1477056501455.jpg
49KB, 700x490px
>>286938
Off topic but anyone else not getting over that leanring curve of being to make detailed vector drawings?
pic related, looking at this and imagining trying to do this makes me disgusted
>>
>>287387
Just one that clips everything now that I revisit it it seems better than I remember it. I finally got Windows Update to work on this fresh install so maybe that had an impact.

>>287398
Which aspect? Vectoring scanned lineart is slow and tedious, but certainly not difficult.
>>
>>287399
>Which aspect?
I guess becasue each path must be seperate and closed to fill, i dunno ive just never yet got over that threshhold of it being intuitive
>>
File: skull text.jpg (157KB, 689x681px) Image search: [Google]
skull text.jpg
157KB, 689x681px
>>287400

The stronger your preparation is with pencil and paper the easier the vectoring will go. Also layers.
>>
>>287430

this

also don't use more anchor points than you need with the pen tool. and take advantage of the shape building tools and pathfinder. not everything needs to be done with the pen tool if there is already a pre existing shape and form to it.
>>
>>287430
>>287400
>>287398
>>
>>286948
That stroke width tool
>>
>>286938 (OP) This application seems legit!
>>
>>287380
For some insight I have an i7-3770k 16 gb ram and a gtx980ti. Illustrator I design and ps run like a dream.
>>
>>287392
Holy shit. Here I come. I'm so tired of this subscription BS.
>>
I'm still running whole CS5 suite due to poverty and AI is crashing all the time now. I lost 30 minutes of laborious kerning earlier after selecting a new typeface that for some reason crashed the damn thing.

Running a 2011 4GB iMac with Yosemite. Too poor to upgrade. I really want to subscribe to Illustrator CC if my computer will handle it.
>>
Affinity looks great for the price. Will check it out.

What is the attitude of Design companies towards Affinity? Is the bias toward Adobe still unavoidable in the industry?
>>
File: Untitled-2.png (41KB, 1195x37px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.png
41KB, 1195x37px
Not trying to shill, but for those interested in Adobe alternatives, I recommend Draw. I had my boss cancel our cloud subscription and I've never been happier.
>>
>>286938
Probably because your computer is shit.
I just updated to windows 10 yesterday and it's impressive how well it handles having even multiple adobe programs running.
Was running photoshop, illustrator, and indesign along with some other programs and was sitting at 60% ram usage. I only have 8gb of ram.
>>
File: Capture.png (26KB, 606x454px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
26KB, 606x454px
>>288075
I've already posted my specs but here's a speccy

I forgot I bought such satanically cheap ram but I doubt it would have so great an effect
>>
>>
>>288012
>Is the bias toward Adobe still unavoidable in the industry?
Yes, but unless Adobe does something game-changing soon, this will change. New design startups and Affinity evangelists are shaking the old world's foundations, and while Adobe is 2big2fall now, things are going to look very different if we get competent AE and ID killers.
Even Apple shilled Affinity in their new Macbook event.
>>
how the fuck do i use photoshop cc i don't know what the fuck I'm doing

help for the love of god
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.