[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to also teach myself to animate. my question is, what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: 1280x720-z1N.jpg (135KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1280x720-z1N.jpg
135KB, 1280x720px
I want to also teach myself to animate.
my question is, what was used to achieve this ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJqo90lNYLs

im a beginner with AE animation, and i also tried onion-skinning in photoshop. This doesnt look like vector, but i could be wrong.. any animation experts ?
>>
This is just some old school hand drawn animation. It was probably colored in photoshop and composited in after effects.
>>
>>284402
what i was afraid of... looks amazing and it probably took a few months..
>>
>>284406
Well, that animation is over 5 minutes long. You could make something, you know, a lot shorter. Maybe 10 or even 5 seconds. You could use it as a learning experience that you can apply to something more ambitious.
>>
>>284411
but to answer the question; the technique used is classical onion skininng/ drawing layering ?
>>
>>284395
there's usually an animation general thread at >>>/ic/ also watch this series explaining the animation process and history (there's another vid/documentary on youtube about western animation history but i can't recall the name)
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvx7p6-lABw
>>
>>284412
It's like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8S-Sx-mJXk

Then just photograph or scan the drawings and import them into photoshop where you can color them. Then import those drawings into after effects so that you can composite them. Compositing just basically means combining them together. So you would have a background layer and then your animated characters on top of that and maybe objects in the foreground. At this point you can use after effects to apply camera movements like zooming in or out or having objects move into or out of frame as well as any special effects you might want to add.
>>
>>284402
>>284411
>>284423
Fairly sure he used digital animation software and not hand drawn on paper.
It's probably just a cintiq with toonboom or TVpaint and a lot of expierence in figure drawing and character animation.

If you look closely it's quite choppy and not very smooth. That's because it's all in the key poses and the follow through. With the right timing and enough frames you can achieve effects like this by just being really good at drawing.

Also, this is the official music that goes with the video for anyone that cares https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhheiPTdZCw

>I want to also teach myself to animate.
I wish you the best of luck. If you have 0 experience, really think about what kind of animation you would be good at. If it's 2D traditional frame by frame then you have a long road ahead and I suggest you start by watching all of the animated movies that are out there and then watching them again but this time frame by frame. Etc. Animation is all about intuition and the study of life imo
Source: I've been animating in Flash for about 10 years. Started on Newgrounds. I still can't do the shit like in the music video. I'm not very good.

Enjoy!
>>
>>284457
I said hand drawn on paper because I'm pretty sure op doesn't have a cintiq. I also don't want to give op the impression that he needed a cintiq and special software to make these kinds of animations (aside from photoshop and after effects which just about everyone has now-days and is fairly easy to procure via torrenting).
>>
>>284466
Well, you can get away with a cheap ass wacom or a chinese cintiq. But I was just trying to inform OP on how the video was most likely made.

Honestly, if you're going to do traditional pen/paper animation, you will need a lightbox, pegs to hold the paper and all that needs to be at an angle. Might as well invest in a cheap cintiq at that point...

Cheapest animation desk I could find:
http://www.animationdesks.com/

Same price as a cheap intuos. So yeah, if you want those kind of results you're going have to invest in something.
>>
>>284469
Lol you don't need a professional animation desk and you don't need a cintiq.
>>
>>284470
No you dont. But it sure does help and speeds up the process! Especially seeing how time consuming animation already is.
Manipulating drawings, linework, frames and dont forget playback, is a tad easier on the computer! I thought a graphic design board of all places should be aware of this.

But by all means, stay analogue for novelties sake, its a great way to stay in touch with your art! If you can produce amazing work this way, I salute you! If you need a little help, go digital...
>>
File: 10.jpg (548KB, 959x639px) Image search: [Google]
10.jpg
548KB, 959x639px
when did /gd/ get so fast at posting? everything has being answered already but as a traditional 2d animator I want to add my 2 cents to the whole thing.

>>284406
>probably took a few months
indeed. as a rule of thumb (for a professional animator to know how much to charge) 3 seconds = 8 hours of work on a good day.

>>284413
>there's usually an animation general thread at >>>/ic/
this is where OP should be

>>284457
>>284466
>>284469
when going tradigital, a cheap tablet works. my intuos3 has never let me down. I rather use picrelated though.

>>284395
If you want to get into animation, I can't stress enough how important is to understand the following books:
>Preston Blair's Cartoon Animation - it's pretty much the animation bible.
>Timing for animation - Pretty much the same but more in-depth. John Dilworth (who was my teacher) considered it to be the true animation bible.
>The animamtor's survival kit - This is the big book of walks and it's really helpful when animating those. But on a theoretical level, it's a good example of how changing small things (like a key drawing) changes the whole thing.
You can find all of these books by googling their names + pdf
>>
File: 19.jpg (648KB, 959x639px) Image search: [Google]
19.jpg
648KB, 959x639px
>>284470
>you don't need a professional animation desk
all you need is paper, pencils, glass and a lightbulb
dead scanners can be converted into excellent portable lightbox.
also, if you are going digital/tradigital, don't go above toonboom8 or try toonz (since it's free now)
>>
Let's say I want to make a 20-30 minute cartoon-style animation. Let's also say at this point I am very talented at it. How long would it take to do it all by myself?
>>
>>285210
That depends on amount of characters, style, amount of frames as in how smooth does it need to be, if backgrounds are static etc. There are no real indications of time.
>>
>>285212
well it wont be a carbon copy animation, I will have my own style but let's say 'the loud house'. I don't need an exact amount of time. Just will it take a couple of months or years.
>>
File: 39.jpg (532KB, 959x639px) Image search: [Google]
39.jpg
532KB, 959x639px
>>285365
>the loud house
That's fairly limited animation. You can maybe animate around 10 seconds a day if you have a firm understanding of toon boom
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.