[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Being Unexpectedly Hired

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 2

File: mfw.png (10KB, 405x344px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.png
10KB, 405x344px
About a month ago I applied for a lead graphic design position thinking I had no chance in hell of getting it. I know After Effects and Illustrator, but practically no design knowledge. Even my portfolio I showed the interviewers was shit. I figured it would be good practice for interviews, but I had a better chance of getting struck by lightening, then actually being chosen. Then I received an unexpected phone call yesterday...I got the job. I'm suppose to be working above 2 other graphic designers. How fucked am I /gd/? Can I bs most of my day? Is there anything I can read to quickly pick up some design principles?
>>
>>284243
Maybe you could tell us how it goes.

I'm really interested in what will happen.

bump.
>>
>>284243
hop on lynda and power through their gd courses.

What kinda place is it? Are you an inhouse department for a company or something?
>>
>>284246
I start Monday, so i'll try to update.

>>284247
Was thinking of doing that, but wasn't sure how good their courses were. It's inhouse for a large commercial company.
>>
>>284249
They're good enough to get you to a decent competency, the technical ones can make you extremely proficient in whatever program you want to learn. I've noticed a bunch of public libraries and the like have free access.

A fuck load of companies have meh design, maybe you'll get lucky and there'll be a graphic standards manual to work from. Hope your team doesn't notice your lack of experience and don't start immediately changing shit.

If I were you I'd buy a shit load of design books and learn quick.
>>
>>284253
That's my greatest fear. I know I can easily bullshit graphic design with the marketing heads. It's my team i'm most scared of, that'll easily tell I have no idea what i'm doing. I'll take your advice though, and cram all weekend.
>>
I think you'll be fine to be honest. Like the poster before me said most companies are meh. It's very possible you're better already than your team.
>>
listen to me

you need to lie, lie, lie, lie, lie.

just bullshit to the fucking moon. act like you're a visionary beyond their understanding if they don't quite get it. and then you can gracefully condescend to do it their way.

and act like you're a wet under the collar summer camp cabin guide dude, and be like, so willing to learn from my guys, and they're so great, and like, i really want to see how YOU think, and how YOU'D do it, you know, maaaan?
>>
If you're not what they wanted, they wouldn't have hired you. If you think you're shit, clearly they're not any better.
>>
Can you post some of your stuff OP?
>>
>>284243
Im pretty curious about your portfolio/resumee.
>>
fake it until you make it. youd be dumb to turn around and say I don't want the position and I don't feel qualified.
>>
don't lie.

lie = you will be found out eventually.

be rational = let someone better qualified than you be hired. get experience being turned down than be a deceptive weak-portfolio whore who can't get past the level you are at--which is lying and cheating.

end of story.
>>
>>284243
I'm a Creative Director

>after effects
>illustrator
>I've never touched paper and a pencil
>I don't know design principles

Guys like you are considered "cancer" to the industry. And one of the big reasons something like logo and identity design went from $1000+ to $5. Also killed out freelance work for actual designers

>I know softwares XD
>>
>>284255
>He reports to "marketing" heads

Where the fuck do you work?
>>
>>284243
You showed them your portfolio and you got picked, if what you say is true and it wasn't very good (I bet it was better than you think) they probably went with you to save money.

Meaning, just do your best, and you'll be fine, they're only expecting you to be as good as your portfolio is anyways.

Beyond that, the easiest way to fake good design is just to look up a bunch of examples of sometime someone else has done it, and copy that. (don't plagiarize obviously)

All that being said, you'll be fine, just fake it, it'll work, trust me. No one will call you on it. The more confident you are, the easiest it will be to fake it.
>>
>>284301
as for your team... you're their boss, so never put yourself in a position where they forget that, and you'll be fine. You may seem like a dick to them, but it won't matter as long as you're friendly and don't make bad choices aside from your graphic design abilities. Treat them like good employees and they won't care about how much you delegate to them.

And you'll pick up GD quickly, while truly good graphic design does take time and skill, GD that's good enough to impress MOST PEOPLE is fairly quick.
>>
>>284299
You don't need to be an asshole to the guy. He probably needs the fuckin' job mate.
>>
>>284299
>the industry means something

I overcharge for subpar work and get by, I couldn't care less about the state of the "industry".
>>
>>284266
best advice right there
>>
>>284524
until they began to talk about something technical and ask for your input.
>>
>>284533
yeah I'm not saying you should do that all of your career, but op will certainly need to bullshit his way through the first months
>>
>Lead Graphics Design

You are prob dealing with some interns fresh out of college. You'll be fine
>>
>>284243
am i not on /pol/ how tf did i get here? bye all good luck op with job thing
>>
>>284533
Then you tell them that its THEIR job to focus on the details and that you are a BIG PICTURE guy (for you)
>>
>>284300
I've been working with a publishing house recently and their art team have meetings with marketing. They have an understanding of the market (duh) and know what will sell so their input is valid to the design process at a large company.

also OP just remember grids
>>
>>284303
This. Even though you’re lacking on some technicalities, if you treat them right they won’t “expose” you.
>>
>>284243
OP don't forget to tell it how it goes today!
:^) best of luck, proud of u!
>>
Did OP survive?
>>
>>284243
>showed them your "shitty designs"
>they thought they were good enough to hire you
Imposter syndrome perhaps?
>>
>>284243
I think you can bs your way through, fake it till you make it and so on.

Probably don't want to go outside anytime soon too, just incase the lightning hits you.
>>
bump

OP how'd it go?
>>
>>284810
I showed up and they asked me how I'd redesign their logo making use of color theory. I told them I didn't know what they were talking about and they fired me on the spot.
>>
>>284829
kek
>>
Just relax and wing it. What's the worst that could happen, more experience before they let you go in six months when the insurance is about to kick in?
>>
>>285015
Late to the party friend.
Read 2 posts above yours.
>>
>>284829
>how I'd redesign their logo making use of color theory
Lel, nobody would ask this
>>
>>284829
thats not op
>>
Bump. I'm nterested in this sory. How are your coworkers like OP
>>
How am I the only designer here offended by this notion that the job can be "BS'ed", especially coming from other designers. I admit that they must know what they are getting or aren't getting from your portfolio and they probably are some witless start up that had no idea what to ask you about the pieces in your portfolio, but why apply for something you are simply not ready for? For shits and giggles, okay, but when they call you for the interview, the jig is up. Sadly for everybody involved, in this case that was not the end of the jig. Just please don't mischaracterize the trade as one that can be bullshitted for great lengths of time. If you arent a troll, youre an imposter, but good luck!
>>
>>284243
You're posting a SIR drawing makes it all the more hilarious.

So yeah, be like SIR. Be completely unsure of yourself and constantly doubting, yet just keep churning out ideas that you think might work while you're drunk or high. Put your all into it. Really believe in it and make it work. Just like SIR.
>>
>>284249
Oh Jesus Christ my dude, I feel you there with that pressure. I had the same thing happen to me but instead of the job being a lead gd I got hired to be the lead software engineer on a video game design team, never panicked as much as I did that day. It's all in your head man, they picked you for a reason, you might not think it but your work is probably plenty good for what they need.
>>
>>284533
Then he can go full faggot and hide behind a veil of pretentiousness (that I've seen people pull off well enough). "Sometimes its not about the *insert anything technical related*...how it feels is much more important"
>>
>>284298
stfu gay
>>
File: zune.png (6KB, 250x202px) Image search: [Google]
zune.png
6KB, 250x202px
>>285100

>How am I the only designer here offended by this notion that the job can be "BS'ed", especially coming from other designers
Probably because you are equating the job with the art. Graphic Design jobs CAN be "BS'ed", because most people have absolute horrible taste in graphic design, they don't appercaite artistic approaches, they can't tell the difference between something that's mediocre and something that's impressive because you can just use memes like gradients and drop shadows to impress most people.
Furthermore, I don't think it's really right to blame someone for "BS'ing" the job if they legitimately need the job. What would you have him do instead, turn it down?
Having artistic integrity and striving to do your best is certainly admirable in this industry, but just like people who make music, films, or even books, sometimes, it's just a paycheck.

>Just please don't mischaracterize the trade as one that can be bullshitted for great lengths of time.
Have you seen the general design that comes out of most US companies? Pic related.

All you need to impress most people is some simple techniques that can be learned in a few days, sure, other graphic designers may look at your work and cringe (again, pic related) but that won't stop your company from putting it forward and being proud of it, and you getting a paycheck.

>youre an imposter
Again, you'd rather him not take the job and go jobless? That's a really fucked up thing to think if so.
>>
>>285592
This person gets it
>>
>>285592
This shit exactly dude. Just go with the flow, try not to overthink it, and do what you think is right and you'll be fine.
>>
>>284243
Sure, anon. In this life, bullshitting is the most valuable skill anyway.

First of all, you'll want to look over your projects, and then announce to your underlings that you believe in their creativity or some bullshit. Basically have them do everything and only pop in sometimes to nod your head and say it looks good.

Look up basic design principles. Learn from your underlings. Pray it all works out well. Don't be surprised when it doesn't. Milk it for as long as you can.

Report back with results.
>>
>>285100
Lol. ALL managerial jobs can be BSed, friend.

As long as OP keeps up an image of detatched confidence, he can basically mooch off his designers.
>>
>>285100
It's a job ffs, you hardcore fag. He wasn't applying to become Pablo Picasso.
>>
>>284829
Lmao I giggled but not op
>>
>>285106
> I got hired to be the lead software engineer on a video game design team
howd it end up for you anon?
>>
>>285034
If his boss is a sperging special snowflake, there's a possiblity.
>>
>>284243
Learn to be perceptive, pick up a lot from your environment, and don't fixate on an externally defined notion of what you "should do", else you'll lock up and be unable to make decisions or do much of anything useful.

Employ a combination of intuition and reverse engineering. And don't be slave to feedback, but don't ever outright ignore it.
>>
>>284243
you would have to read lots of books on design and it's evolution in history. lots of years of theory... but besides that some people don't have the eye for design and without it, you'll never be a good designer. if you don't have faith in God, you'll never be a firm believer...
>>
>>284255
Literally my fear too. I was put in charge of design for a startup and once they decide to hire on more designers, i'll be in charge of them. I literally started 10 months ago learning design... they're all like, you do good work, here, you'll be our designer, and the design lead when we hire new people... shit
>>
>>284243
dude, if you're truly worried, just go through the things at hackdesign.org/lessons and you should be fine
>>
OP, if you are telling the truth I hate you...but you are also my hero.

Average designer here with no portfolio currently depressed as fuck at thought of never having even a shot at ever working in GD because its is apparently so difficult to break into

Still not sure if I believe you but I hope it goes well.
>>
>>284249
>I start Monday, so i'll try to update.
Go on...
>>
I have a job interview on Friday for a junior graphic design position. Not feeling optimistic about it and I'm surprised I got a call back but we'll see what happens.
>>
>>284298
Worst advice I've ever seen
>>
>>285592
You clearly showed that you know absolutely nothing about GD.

You are talking about technicality as if it's the standart to be taken into consideration. The first Design principle is the functionality, it doesn't need to look beautiful, complex or "technical" but functional, otherwise it's just art.

And just so that you know, Zune's logo is a great one, you just don't get it. It's simple, clear, easy to memorise and the funny part is that Z shape standing out from that Isometric shape.

I'm a 100% sure that you can make the exact same replica of this logo, but the question is can you come up with same idea, or give us a better one ?
>>
>>285804
fake it till you make it
>>
i cant be the only who caught this, but how do you get placed as the lead developer with no experience? all the lead positions ive ever seen require 5+ years of experience
>>
>>284533
if this happens just say you need to think about it, step int you office and google it

Btw if you're gonna act, know you're doing it cos you need the job/money, but when that stop being the case, drop it, and don't believe you own lies/think that you're great- that will be your downfall.
>>
>>287367
and don't front with people you don't need to, like a date or people you know outside work or something. Cos you're gonna have to cover for all *those* lies, and it's easier to lie to a few people instead. If you dont trust someone outside work, if they ask just say you can't talk about it.
>>
>>287368
or give vague detail.. eh it pays good, I work at etc. But I dont want to/cant talk about it. Easy. Good luck my friend. We all need to get by somehow; this world is fucked.
>>
>>284243
if the portfolio you showed was bad.
And you sucked at the interviews:
Tough break, the job is shit, a monkey could do it.

enjoy your lowest tier bad paying "graphic design" position.

I've been in positions like that myself, only over qualified.

You'll be fine, they offer little to no effort.

Rock on my boy!
>>
>>287372
jesus way to make the post about how wonderful you are..

he's probably gonna get paid a lot more than you do now Haha
>>
>>287143

so they ended up liking my portfolio. also the art director hates inDesign and is still learning it so I feel like the bar is kind of set low. I'm still in school but I graduate in December so they said if they do choose me they will let me do part time until then and the ad says its starts at 40k/year so I'll probably take it. I need to get the fuck out of retail.
>>
>>287436
Good for you dude
>>
>>287444

thanks buddy
>>
>>284298
Shut up. OP can definitely fake it till he makes it.
Do this
>>284247
>>284266
And you'll be fine.
>"B-but lying us wrong. You'll get found out"
So fucking what. All they can do is fire you.
>>
>>285592
> most people have absolute horrible taste in graphic design
true dat, when I started workingI really wanted to do a good job but for example the other day I had to make the graphical identity of a small company and got really inspired, until they decided they didn't really want anything "too pushed" and just wanted stock pictures on a green flyer.
Clients are the most depressing thing and will force you to bs everything to keep your sanity
>>
>>287373
>jesus way to make the post about how wonderful you are..
I thought that was secondary to him telling OP that, because his resume and the interview was shit and he still got the job, the job will probably be shit easy, too.

>>284243
I wouldn't count on it, though. Get through those lessons, rapid, my man. Last thing you want to do is risk showing up only to be fired a week later with one of your coworkers promoted.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.