[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need a laptop by September for school. This will be my second

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

I need a laptop by September for school. This will be my second year. Don't tell me to get a CuckBook Pro, because I simply don't have the option to wait for the 2016 refresh. Currently looking at a dell XPS 13 or 15, no less than a core i5.

Is kthere any real benefit to having a discrete gpu besides an accelerated interface in AI/PS and maybe some motion graphics stuff? If I can get away with integrated graphics and use the giant iMacs in the computer lab for other stuff, that would be great. Also, do I need a 15 inch screen? How important is a true SSD?
>>
File: Untitled-6.png (66KB, 2210x1786px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-6.png
66KB, 2210x1786px
>>
I have the latest XPS 13 and illustrator runs great on it
>>
>>279190
This. Enterprise laptops only, for fuck's sake.
Get a real desktop replacement like the P50.
>>
>>279154
>Don't tell me to get a CuckBook Pro, because I simply don't have the option to wait for the 2016 refresh.

Buy a cheap used PC to use temporary until the Macbook comes out.
When the 2016 Macbook refresh comes out sell the PC and buy the Mac.
>>
I use the XPS 13 i7 3200x1800. Inkscape runs great. Screen size is small for most programs - menus get cramped. My exact specs on the XPS15 are a couple hundred bucks cheaper. I might trade up for the extra screen real estate, but the 13's size is great for working in bed.
Tl;dr: XPS 13 is great, XPS 15 is bigger
>>
>>279154
>>279213
>>279210
>>279217
>>279219
the same software you are running has been running on machines since the 90s. Those machines were slow as crap, literally any laptop will work.
>>
>>279154
>Also, do I need a 15 inch screen
15 is the minimum
get an external monitor
i use my 13inch macbook (which is way too small, I never do any artwork on the native display anymore) with a Dell U2515h ultrasharp, and it's fantastic. it swivels and rotates, which is great for coding.
>>
Depends on what you need it for. If it's just Ps, then pretty much any laptop will be fine.

I got a pretty beefy laptop with 8 cores, two 500gb SSD and one 150gb HDD and a higher mid tier graphics card. This is because I'm usually simultaneously running Ps, Ai, Ae, and a browser on multiple monitors, and occasionally I like to dabble in Blender. Assess how much you really need to do with it, and let that be the determining factor when you're looking at specs.
>>
>because I simply don't have the option to wait for the 2016 refresh

I forgot every model prior to the unreleased one is incapable of even web browsing
>>
>>279154
SSD isn't necessary but it definitely helps a lot when you load software on it.

Obviously don't get a Macbook.

Nvidia supposedly has software / hardware drivers that run more smoothly with Adobe software.
>>
>>279154
Have a msi with a 970m and an i7 and it's pretty much flawless. Only thing I can think of is if you added an ssd. Other than that, spending some extra money for extra strength and destruct ability would be good
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.