[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how would you approach creating a grid structure for a label

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: imgres.jpg (6KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
6KB, 205x246px
how would you approach creating a grid structure for a label design or business card design or just a design thats small?

I'm so stupid when it comes to understanding grid structures. I can understand them for letterheads and flyers but they don't seem to make sense at small sized design.
>>
or can I just create any grid that I want for anything as long as there is balance and alignment and proper spacial relationships?

theres so many types in this book I bought and even though they are insightful in some aspects, they are kind of crippling me further design wise because they are making me second guess any single grid structure I attempt to crate on my own. I don't want to have to reference pre made grid structures anytime I want to design something.
>>
You are thinking to much about it.
Whats a grids purpose?
>To help you align stuff on the same sized layout over multiple pages/versions.
A Master file so to speak that just carried the overall structure.

Creating a grid is totally up to you.
Just use your creative common sense, really.

Golden ratio oder other base layout type?
Do my element have enough room to 'breathe'?
How about the back of the card. Do my elements align well when turning the business card around.

Tip: When you design things that are meant to be printed like a buisness card for example. Regularily make a print of it when you are still in layout stage. Simple B/W print is enough.
Hold it, feel it.

You often see things on a printed product that you would just overlook on screen.
>>
>>279145

I appreciate the input, thank you. so when approaching sketching a grid, it doesn't have to be spot on? could I get away with just doing lines on a page to represent spacial relationships and alignment of elements as opposed to actually drawing out an entire grid? Then just later on creating a grid in indesign and applying the same spacial relationships and alignment of elements onto that newly created grid?
>>
>>279147
Of course. You should see my intial scribbles at work. I free hand draw the outer edges of the template, all the grid lines and the content itself.
Of course not everything ends up perfectly even, though fairly close with time.

Especially if you draw a lot anyway.
Anything thats throwaway material should be treated as such. Once you find sometihng that you like rebuild it properly with exact measurements in indesign. Millimeter exact of course.

If you send clients sketches make sure they are somewhat clean with straight lines though.

Really though, especially in the inital sketches you are just limiting your creativitiy if you work tight. Every illustrator starts of with a rough sketch, why would it be different in Corporate Design etc.
>>
>>279149

yeah, that makes more sense. i couldn't imagine using a ruler for every single thumbnail sketch. there have been times where I'll just make a bunch of outlines for templates then go back and sketch within them freehand but even that seems kind of unnecessarily time consuming. and its not that I'm opposed to spending time on my designs I just don't want to spend too much time on anything thats unnecessary.
>>
>>279144
your content, and the idea in which you want to shape that content will become your gridsystem. For a business card I sometimes just use a few columns and a baseline grid... othertimes you might not need a 'formal' grid.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.