[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Resumes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 31

File: resume_30.jpg (113KB, 500x648px) Image search: [Google]
resume_30.jpg
113KB, 500x648px
How untraditional and creative should a graphic designers resume look? I hate looking like a pretentious faggot but at the same time I feel like it's expected for a designers resume to look more interesting than most resumes. Generally I try to lean towards a more traditional style with a few small visual elements mixed in but I'm never too sure about it.

The one attached is something I would consider too flashy.
>>
>>270947
I'm of the mind that the actual first person to see your resume is most likely to not be a creative person professionally (like an HR or business admin), so bring cute in ones resume is likely to turn off those types of people.

Your portfolio is where the creativity can and must be on display.
>>
>>270949
Does that mean that your resume is completely plain or do you still have some small graphics in it?
>>
>>270947
I would avoid being too flashy on your resume. Sure it's pretty, but what is the point of design for a resume? Easy to understand what the person knows in less than 10 second.

Also remember that your resume has to get through HR before it gets to the actual designers, so you are writing it for them as much as the rest of the team.

Every design job I've gotten has been with a 'normal' resume page, with bullet points to highlight aspects of my experience and skill base.

Leave the fancy stuff to the portfolio.
>>
>>270950
>Graphics
>As in skill charts and dots
God I hate that shit. Why would you set yourself up for failure like that...
>>
>>270947
>listing your skills in graph form
Instant "into the trash" for me.
>>
I hope this isn't your personal resume and is just a generic image, because there's so much wrong with it that I don't know where to start.

Just because you're in graphic design doesn't mean you should skip the basics of resume design. You devote nearly half of your workable space to a 'personal statement' and explaining your 'work-play balance,' both things I don't really care about as an employer and that obscure your actual qualities as a possible employee. You cover those kinds of things in your cover letter or interview- your resume is for giving concrete examples of your technical proficiency and experience.

Which means, you need to be leading with your work experience and education first and foremost. Put the emphasis on those, and make sure they're the first thing I'm going to look at and read. Then give me your technical skills, in something that isn't a graph or chart or with assigned numerical values (it'll be clear where your strengths and weaknesses lie from your portfolio, not some arbitrary rating system).

And finally, rather than simply listing your hobbies, give me specific, concrete things that actually give me an idea of what you might be like around the workplace. Talk about how you were a volunteer for some Illustration event or ran as part of a marathon instead saying "I like illustration and running." The former gives me at least some idea of your character while the latter is useless to me as an employer. I don't know if you've ever heard of the concept of "identity capital," but those are the kinds of things you would be much better off listing for me instead of just things you like.
>>
• clean grid
• logo/id (if you have one)
• name/contact info
• education info
• list of skills
• list of awards (only if they're at an elite/pro level)
• work history

DO NOT INCLUDE:
charts, graphs, ornamental elements, textures, photos, more than 2 typefaces, colors (keep it B&W only)

Make sure it follows the same or similar grid as your web/print portfolio, business card, invoice, letterhead, etc.

Everything needs to be cohesive.
>>
A resume is a way to showcase your ability to make something simple look crisp and clean. Pick an interesting font, perfect your margins and grids, make correct use of headers etc.
It doesn't need to be flashy to look good. The designer who's reviewing it isn't an amateur either, hopefully.
>>
File: resume2016.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
resume2016.pdf
1B, 486x500px
I recently tried making a fancy resume that would stand out a bit more but after reading >>270966 I'm worried I put too many graphic elements in it.
I'm obviously still working on it (font and typography) but this what I have so far. Any critique comments? Just destroy me, do it.
>>
>>271040
I had to look twice to find your name. I think the bar at the top is pretty, but it's very distracting.

In other experience, I'd keep it relevant. Trash collection can be selectively edited out. If they have questions about employment gaps, you can fill that in upon request.

Languages: where are you applying? If it's in an English-language country, your resume is already in English, so why bother being redundant? You wouldn't put Dutch proficiency on a resume IN Dutch, so drop it.
Also: how weak is your French? Can you effectively communicate in it, or was it just a small amount learned in school? I look French in high school, but I wouldn't bother pretending I could speak it effectively. If you can effectively speak it, then just list it without a qualifier.
>>
>>271040
More notes:

Social media is a given now. List your SM on the resume, and let them see it for themselves (though don't let US see them!)

All of your software can be described as Adobe Creative Suite. Surely you have other softwares to show off?

Your other experiences section does not follow the standard style you've set for the rest of the resume.
>>
File: x.jpg (2MB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
x.jpg
2MB, 2550x3300px
>>271040
Did this quickly...

Things highlighted in the same colors should be the same size/weight.

Size
1.Your name should be the biggest/boldest thing on the page.
2. skills, education, etc. headings
3. basic marketing, software, mlab, etc. subheadings
4. everything else.

I would make the headings, subheadings, and your name bold, the dates italic or medium italic, and everything else regular/book. The parts highlighted in purple could be bold, but keep it the same size as what's highlighted in yellow.

If you're going to use two fonts, it's the easiest to use a basic serif and a sans serif together. Nothing too fancy or trendy. Stick with the classics.
>>
>>271040
-Your name is to small
-You don't need to say Resume; say 'Graphic Designer' or something instead
-Your personal information is too small and matters more than who you are
-Your 'Who am I?' section should be one sentence, because I'm not going to actually read it
-Your headers look like green baby poop compaired to your header bar
-Your font choice is poor, and should be complemtary either way
-Your dates and titles of work are not more important than what you did
-Just use years for your work time, and put it after your title
-What you did is not as important as how you did it ("Created the UI for a user creativity app using InDesign and did initial UX testing with colleges and executives.")
-Your 'Other Experience' doesn't matter if it wasn't teaching or an internship (FYI, you will get bias for saying you were a garbage man)
-Copywritting is not a Marketing skill, and you are not a lawyer; so fuck off with that
-Flash is dead
-Programming lauguages don't belong under languages
-Don't say anything about how good you are at anything (Basic French; what the fuck does that mean?)
-You didn't list HTML5 & CSS3 under your skills, yet you talk about taking an "Online" class (bad form)
-Your education should include time you where there (2011-2015)
>>
>>271040
Your website, even just that video, is far more engaging than your resume.
>>
>>270947

You could download that from stock photo site.

Most companies require your resume to be a Word or rtf document. Something simple for their applications to scan for keywords.
>>
>>271150
>Word
No, PDF. ALWAYS PDF!
>>
/r/'an that one resume format that gets posted all the time.
>>
File: _blank.jpg (2MB, 1786x2240px) Image search: [Google]
_blank.jpg
2MB, 1786x2240px
>>271181
this one?

its mine
>>
>>270947
Some of my colleagues did that informal graph/scaling of their technical skills for programs and shit. It made me cringe. Just list that you know it for fucks sake, why would you arbitrarily setting your knowledge of photoshop as a '8' help you in any fucking way.
>>
>>271040
Concrete shit. Looks like a powerpoint slide.
>>
>>271183
Any more like this? It's a nice combination of being formal yet still shows a strong understanding of typesetting.
>>
can i get some feedback on mine? I recently graduated and currently looking for a steady job. have had several freelance projects.
>>
>>271183
>Your's
>_blank.jpg
I don't believe you...
>>
>>271204
Nice.
-You can say HMTL/CSS or HTML5/CSS 3, no other combination

>Dat Juice Box
>>
>>271204
>>271206
May want to ditch the Dickhead typography, funny but unprofessional.
>>
>>271206
Got it, thanks man.
Haha yea I spent 2 weeks coming up with different names.
>>
>>271207
Yea I've heard that from a few people. I've also heard the argument that if an employer is ok with it, it's probably a relaxed environment. I will replace it tho. I just need to work on more typography. thanks for the feedback i really appreciate it.
>>
>>271210
It's also (weird to say) a good idea to have a Helvetica, Futura, of similar font example if you are going to have a typo section.

A Lot studios end up using them for projects, and most people are familiar with them, so seeing it in your portfolio will give them those happy familiarity feelings when looking at your work.
>>
>>271211
Hmm that's interesting. We learn about those typefaces early on but toward senior year we were told to stay away from those because they are kind of an easy way out or overdone. I personally love Helvetica, Futura, and Century Gothic but have been trying to use them less.
>>
>>271204
>they asked for my resume so I gave them the D
>>
>>271183
yeah that one.
it's amazing
>>
>>271212
Yes, they are easy; that's why everyone uses them. Using one of them interestingly shows talent and again familiarity for the hiring party.

Doing something with Century Gothic would be good too; I also love that one and Goudy Old Style.
>>
>>271244
Thank you, hadn't heard of Goudy Old Style, looked it up and it's gorgeous. I use Brandon Grotesque a lot. It's up there with Century Gothic imo. What other fonts do you consider timeless? I found a nice one called Paris Pro wouldnt say it's timeless but definitely a gorgeous font that if used sparingly can be stunning.
>>
>>271246
Trojan
>>
>>271040
I missed your name entirely. Not a good sign. The second block with all the flashy who am I may look pretty but I can't read shit of it. You also got your contact there, which is fairly risky.

the video you got on your website is pretty self explanatory and might be better to throw the hyperlink to your website hugely on the resume at some point
>>
>>270947
No...creative people dont see your resume unless it's handed to them...
Furthermore yhe whole point of design is communication to the masses creatively if you design a sweet layout implimenting gestalt and thirds and what ever creative visual aspects you add in a person with no sense of design has to be able to get it.

Its a resume, it conveys information about how awesome you are. Execute typography meaningfully and show them you have that down. If you wanna show of pretty graphics use your portfolio. In my experience resumes that look like this, come with weak portfolio because theres no rythm to work everyhing has to be an art piece. Some graphic design is staionery and corporate branding. A resume is a corporate file kept on hand not a poster your boss will hang up on his wall
>>
File: resumeraster.jpg (1MB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
resumeraster.jpg
1MB, 1275x1650px
Is there anything I can do to make this stand out, /gd/? I tried to simplify some stuff but I'm afraid I may have left out important details.
>>
>>271360
Hmm It feels a bit cluttered, there's definitely some things that could be taken out. I'd take out the social media icons, that belongs on your website. I understand that many people include it as a way of showing that they are keeping up with trends but honestly i wouldnt include it on a resume. The whole Experience and Skillset columns are competing way too much, and the difference in typefaces make it feel really spotty. I'd get rid of the --Designer and the Creative-- i think the experience speaks for itself, if an employer see's Print/Marketing they can automatically assume its relevant experience. Same goes for the Skill sets there's no reason to split up your creative and general skillsets. they should all just fall under skillsets also anything that is in the technical area can just fall under Skillset. All in all i think the only problem is that you have these sub categories that are completely unnecessary and are just cluttering up the page. Personally i'd just have EXPERIENCE / EDUCATION / SKILLSET doing that will free up a lot of space. there's nice touches like the footnote being in a light gray or low opacity whatever treatment you did to the "Portfolio & References" tid bit works well. I would even push that a bit further and make it a bit lighter. On the other hand you could also make 100% black and center it on the bottom so that your resume doesn't feel so top heavy. Those are just might suggestions, do with them what you will.
>>
>>271360
>Right justified
No...
>>
So, I'm working in house, and I'm responsible for all branding, website, advertisements and product brochures.
Am I a graphic designer? Lead graphic designer? Creative director? Executive/senior graphic designer?
I mean, it's not like I oversee a team, but there's no one above me either.
>>
>>271412
When in doubt, go with Senior Designer.
>>
OP

haha, you're an infographic, not a human being?

btw whoever said *copy writing* is lawyer chatter: *copy writing* is different from *copyright*, look it up. they do sound the same, but copy writing is just this (incl, not limited to): slogans, garbagey narrating or anything read off into speech in commercials (radio/tv/other)...copy. copy = content. write = communication skill.

it's far more common for directors or seniors to include copywriting into their collection of "skills." otherwise, if you are resume

LOUD NAME
GRAPHIC DESIGNER

an employer may reveal to you that your talent is "Bullshitting."

maybe

LOUD NAME
(possibly multi-skilled creative person)

would do just fine.

god ...smiley faces and bar graphs...
>>
>>270947
according to some of my teachers, it depends on how you want to sell yourself, but some basic tips they tend to agree on are:
1) never put stuff in your resume/portfolio you are not willing to do
2) always put your best work first, your portfolio should be "the best among the best" of your works, but its a good idea to put the best among them first, the second best in the middle, and a third best at the end
3) never remain iddle, always upload new works, if you have the same things after 6 months, those 6 months were a waste of time
4) never include unnecesary information, example: "i am a dilligent, honest person, who enjoys working with other people", that adds nothing, and usually tahts the kind of things old employers will fill in

hope that helps someone out there
>>
>>271183 What fonts are those specifically?
>>
you wanna make smiley faces for web? yaaaaaay!
>>
friendly bump for more resume inspo
>>
>>271040

I bet that top bar is shit to read in print.
>>
>>271474
Akzidenz-Grotesk Pro
Some characters are edited.

My wordmark is set in Bebas Neue, and then edited a bit.
>>
get rid of all of the infographics, smileys, pic of the shady guy carrying a bag of candy...all of that crap. not even being sarcastic. it's pretentious, shallow, and adds nothing of substance

never...ever...put your skill level on a bar graph. (get rid of the bar graph) plus, none of your bars reach the top...not a good first impression to show me that you know anything inside-out.

nothing to add, just subtract. removing those infographics will also prevent a printed version from looking like muck.

oh man...all of those huge quotations. designy for the sake of being designy...
>>
>>271360
Is this a resume or a menu?
>>
>>272163
not even OP's resume, buddy, confirmed for not reading OP's post
>>
>>272167

fair enough
>>
File: CV spoof.png (71KB, 1240x1754px) Image search: [Google]
CV spoof.png
71KB, 1240x1754px
this is for a study thing. Anything to change, improve?
>>
instead of just throwing everything on the page and hope it looks good, the better approach is to think from the bottom up:

- A single-page resume is a great display of the designer's understanding to the fundamentals of typography and grid, use of space, and concept of contrast, relation of sizes etc.

- It also shows your skills in prioritizing information, and in some way, content management. If you can't handle info that you already know from back your head, it means you can't manage something from a client.

- It is also a test of self-constraint. How much creativity you allow yourself, while maintaining focus on conveying the core information that needs attention. The best candidates can work within such bounds and still can show some character.

- There are still rules and guidelines within given industry as to how proper they expect a resume should look like, and the degree varies. An in-house website developer in a bank is different from an illustrator for an avant garde magazine.
>>
>>270947
>How untraditional and creative should a graphic designers resume look?
Not at all
It should be as traditional as possible
Otherwise you're a tryhard faggot and like every other hipster douche who thinks their mediocre skills and lack of experience deserves $200/hr
>>
Eh I might as well share mine and brace for the worst.
>>
>>274156
I don't hate it!
But I'd recommend:

-Placing experience above education

-Drop the "professional strengths" section. That's not for you to say you have- that's what your references should be saying about you for you.

- A 1 before an area code is unnecessary. If it's not an area code near the employer's vicinity, they'll know that they'll need to dial 1 first.

- The glasses are cute, Darius, but do have a second resume set up with it not there, for the HR person who'll see it first, and not give a flying fig about graphic elements.
>>
>company logos in working experience
yes/no?
>>
File: cv.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
cv.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Could you help me, guys? I'm trying to create a CV, simple but classy, for general purpose. I'm doing something wrong?
>>
>>274586
Are they hiring you, or your company?
>>
>>274885
It's clean and straight forward. I'd ax the black bar if the employer is printing it on their own dime- wasting a lot of black if it's an inkjet for style is not ingratiating.
>>
May as well. I know that I went a little (a lot?) overboard with colour and graphics but feedback would be nice.
>>
charting your skills is fucking stupid. never understood that meme. sure it's a way to say you're really, really good in one area, but unless all the bars are 100% full you're just exposing weaknesses. what a stupid, stupid concept.
>>
>>275004
remove interests and new orleans pizza. i know they always say in school to "put anything you can on there" because "work experience is work experience" but seriously it's not relevant in any way at all and it just makes it look like you're trying to pad out your resume more (which is what you are doing).

i've never applied for a design job that i didn't get a call back for and my experience page is a full 8.5x11 sheet of paper with just a few lines of text on it.

place of work (year-year)
position
position
position
position

people in this industry appreciate honesty and don't have time to wade through formalities or bs or padding. just get to the point, respect their time, and you might just be someone that they want to work with.

there's a million and a half great designers out there. they're not hiring you for your unique design skills or past experience, they're hiring you to get a job done quickly and efficiently, and you can show that you have that skill in your resume by keeping it to the point.
>>
>>275006
That's a really good point. I'm thinking of just wiping the whole thing and restarting with a simple black and white resume. First year got me a little excited about being able to use InDesign lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Thanks for your help.
>>
>>275004
What about the dimensions? I usually work with A4, that's a standard.
>>
>>275004
This guy/gal (>>275006) summed up a lot of good points. But I enjoy critiquing resumes, so here's my analysis of yours:

>Contact info:
Hotmail? *Awkward cough* I'd recommend a [email protected] or a gmail.
Speaking of which, website? I understand discomfort of putting oneself out there on 4chan, but I'm curious why I don't see a portfolio link.

>Education
Experience above education, as it's much more relevant than where you got your learning,

Drop your high school blurb. It's not relevant to a resume.

List your GPA, not your letter grades.

>Experience
I didn't immediately absorb the dates. I think the to-from method your using is not effective for a resume.

I would argue the Oak Realty is also not especially relevant. The software you used can be blanket-covered in the skills section. However, if you were doing design work there, then make that center-stage, and explicitly so.

Have you no freelance you can put on here, no matter how insignificant it might seem?

>Interests
I'm not above including interests, but I'd be more specific about them. For instance:
- History -> History of 1750s ____
- Podcasts -> podcasts about grafting fruits
- Photography -> landscape photography.

My point being, make your interests INTERESTING, rather than broad (if you need to include interests).

>Skills:
Organized, punctual, driven, creative, inquisitive, all of these are not skills. They're expectations.

Skills include: software, hyper-specific training, languages (computer or otherwise), usage of an artistic material, etc.

>References:
Unnecessary to mention. If they ask for them, they'll ask for them. If you didn't have them, they'll suspect you're not worth their time.

>OVERALL:
The flow is good, it's clean, and you didn't use ratings for your "skills." Great start, needs work, and please DO show us your next draft!
>>
>>273132
I've seen this picture on here posted a while ago. Either you copied this or you've been 'working on it' a long time. If you made it, it's good.
>>
>>275010
no prob. its easy to get swept away learning new software and all the bells and whistles and wanting to cram them in to everything you do, but it's so easy to overdesign things and it's so essential not to do it.
the KISS principal is the most important thing to remember in design from the day you enter the field until the day you retire. wipe anything that doesn't need to be there or serve a purpose.
>>
>>275025
>I would argue the Oak Realty is also not especially relevant.
just reading your critique now, and i disagree. real estate is a fast paced and demanding industry, and to be involved in it, in any facit, and be successful at it shows you know your way around a corporate structure and how to deal with people.

that's different from a pizza place where the requirements are "don't tell the customer to kill himself and wear a clean shirt".

also, >>275004
another note, i'd get rid of the descriptions of what you learned/had to do at each job. it's not necessary. they'll know the general idea of what each job entails, and if they want to know specifics they'll ask in an interview.
>>
>>275052
My counter-arguement is she wrote it was occasional and weekend related. Not consistent enough to _feel_ meaningful to an employer.
>>
>>275004
>including opening and closing
how did you even begin to consider that this was necessary. there's now a permanent image branded on my retina of a grown man getting taught how to open and close a cash register and feeling proud he succeeded.
>>
>>274898
Actually this is a very dark blue. If I remove it the whole CV will lose some personality. Thanks.

More critiques are welcome.
>>
Sorry for the stupid question, I don't usually visit this board but I'm wondering, what program(s) do you guys use for this? Because I assume it's not a text processor.
>>
>>275242
Not sure if it's really professional, but I use Adobe InDesign CS5.5. I like to have advanced typographic control.
>>
>>275242
It me (>>275290) again. I highly recommend you this website. It helped me a lot with things I've never realised.

>http://practicaltypography.com
>>
>>275181
Then make an adaption so it won't lose it's personality.

The point Im getting at is sometimes a potential employer might not want to waste high levels of ink just for a cosmetic flourish (for jobs where you are not sending physical mail or hand delivering), especially if they have an inkjet instead of a laser printer.

It's a courtesy consideration.
>>
>>274885
>Freelance Faggot
>>
>>270958

Same
>>
>>273132

I like this alot. If you print, make sure use a nice paper.
>>
>>275290
>>275291
very much appreciated friend!
>>
>>274885
kek
>>
>>271183
I always see this posted and it never gets any sort of critique because it is better than 99% of the crap here:

- The letter format isn't good for legibility (i.e. 18 words per line) it should take up one less column. The body could take up the 2nd/3rd column, then address details (or something of functional value) in the first.

- Outdented bullet points might look nicer and I'm skeptical of how the "skills" section would work in practise with just regular type.

- I would put the address under the contact details seperated by a line space, it feels it is just there to occupy the grid space.

- The business card isn't as elegant as the others applications and you don't need the word mark on both sides.
>>
>>275335
>>275359
I keep searching for advices.There's a lot of knowledge in this thread, and I'd like to take advantage of it.

Btw, Brian Sewell was a real guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EFJ_rpSAa4
>>
>>270958
>>270953
amen
>>
File: 1402677664048.jpg (38KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
1402677664048.jpg
38KB, 300x450px
>>275025
>*Awkward cough*
>>
>>275448
I'm suspicious that this person actually posted there resume on this site, ever, and that every time it shows up, it's some asshole pretending to be that designer, knowing we're going to fall over complimenting it against other people's attempts.
>>
File: sos.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
sos.pdf
1B, 486x500px
how awful is this?

showed it to one other person and he bitched about the columns and that it was cluttered

I have little experience

was planning to apply to GD internship in a week or so, I am probably going to move community involvement to the top below skills because that's the only relevant thing I have in regards to design

also, my GPA is not shit but I just don't know how to fit it in there without it looking like shit - any ideas?
>>
I design the page to look good and have good layout and keep the hierarchy leading to all the important parts

i dont add a bunch of stupid ass graphs but im sure theres some fucking dingdong in charge of hiring who thinks thats real cool
>>
>>270947
i am immensly bothered by the divider line under the personaly statement quote. the dude forgot his own rules of usage and fucking made that line alone misaligned just to do something cute with the + and consequentially make that + a focal point
>>
>>271360
lol, you have such a graphic designer name
>>
>>272141
College student starter fonts pack
>>
File: cv_anon.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
cv_anon.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>275768
Why not keep it classy?
>>
File: CV-4.png (42KB, 800x1035px) Image search: [Google]
CV-4.png
42KB, 800x1035px
>>274885
>>275828
It might be a personal thing, but I find the font to be try-hard. It's just a CV and not the declaration of human rights. This "classy aesthetique" belongs more on the menu card of a first class restaurant, an official honorary certificate or a package design for luxurious cigarettes.

Generally it can be said: In the design of a CV, main focus should be given on the layout because that's what makes it eye-friendly. Maybe those graphic gimmicks will brighten the mood of a bored personnel manager for a moment, but you want to impress with your portfolio and not with visual miracles that you can put on a sheet of paper. Though, on the other side, a personal touch might add a little soul on this "bureaucratic act", but it should not be overdone. (extreme example @ OP pic)
>>
>>275858
Layout-wise the try-hard font CV is a lot better than the one you posted to be honest.
>>
>>275858
Hi there, I'm >>275828 and >>274885. Actually I'm not a professional, I made that example just to challenge myself, don't take it seriously at all. I get what you want to do, but I find it too "unbalanced", not really sure how to explain it. I've seen similar things lots of times before, and it's hard to make it look professional, there is no margin for error.

PS: The font of the "try-hard" example is Adobe Caslon Pro. Those "gimmicks" are there to give to the whole structure a more solid shape (to emphasize both sides) instead of using dates (that's too much text).

Btw, I'd recommend you to add more info, like the languages you know.
>>
test
>>
File: collage.jpg (247KB, 1200x1140px) Image search: [Google]
collage.jpg
247KB, 1200x1140px
Got a few important questions.

If all my previous work experiences have been freelance gigs, do I include the dates? It looks weird and shows unemployment gaps.

Speaking of gaps, how fucked am I if my resume shows unemployment gaps? I am extremely self conscious about this and I omit them as risky as it seems.

For non-graphic design work experiences, do I leave them out or what? I've seen yes and no examples in this thread. For myself, it is a pizza store job where I had in-store responsibilities as well as outdoor (driving, customer service). It can be seen as bad padding but could also show unemployment gaps if missing.

My only award (referred as Recognition on my resume) is a Communications Technology Achievement Award from high school. Leave or take out?

Currently I do not have a skills or personal objective section on my resume. After reading this thread, I may try to put a skill section back in. But I found it to be so redundant because it's just going to be Adobe Creative Suite. Is Office important to include? Because I don't know that much about Excel. Besides HTML/CSS, I don't know what else to put on there. Do I pad it with design skills like layout, editorial, etc. instead of just software skills?
>>
>>276296
What I do with the unemployment gaps is to fill it with courses or extra-knowledge. The most important is to show that you've been doing something to grow.
>>
>>276319
You mean like you actually do that and not lie about it? Shit costs money when I can't spend anymore.
>>
>>274885
Rg31 here
>>
File: 4changdmeme.png (368KB, 2480x3508px) Image search: [Google]
4changdmeme.png
368KB, 2480x3508px
First time ever proper /gd/ attempt after letting Photoshop just sit in my computer seeing no use.

Its made from bits and bobs of this thread.
Any massive faults?
>>
>>276530
also yes, I have been a NEET for half a year

please kill me
>>
>>276531
Try 4 years bruh. I should already have committed sudoku.

I might critique it when I wake up, but not at this hour.
>>
>>276530
Do you really need the location/mail/phone icons? I think it's obvious.
Personally I'd only use two text sizes (general text and titles), and I'd give less importance to dates.

Also, let it breath.
>>
File: resume_fake.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
resume_fake.pdf
1B, 486x500px
I am >>276296.

Hated my previous resume so I made a new one and also a wordmark. I analyzed every example posted in this thread and took a lot of suggestions into consideration.

Things I learned and prioritized:

>99% functional
>minimal to no graphical elements besides logo
>aesthetics through typography, layout, space, grid
>minimal and printer-friendly palette
>visual hierarchy (me, headings, subheadings, body)
>section hierarchy (me, relevant experience, other experience, skills/education)
>no fluff, padding, bullshit
>real skills; software and languages
>concise job descriptions using professional verbs but drop articles and helping verbs
>every point should describe how it benefits the client or business success
>consistency

Thanks to everyone who contributed in this thread, and those who volunteered to get ripped on, please have a go at mine.
>>
>>277013
The blue used there was the wrong one, I'm posting the fixed version using IK Blue.
>>
>>277016
The blue version would go straight into my waste basket.

Black and white master race.
>>
>>277016
I'd leave a bit more white aroud the edges, you're almost pushing printer margins here.
>>
File: resume_fake.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
resume_fake.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>277118
I thought it would impossible to tighten it even more considering how long it took me to fit all that content while still opting for spacious layout than filling the page. I just redid the layout using golden section as a guideline.
>>
File: resume_goldensection.jpg (307KB, 1545x1000px) Image search: [Google]
resume_goldensection.jpg
307KB, 1545x1000px
>>277352
Here's a comparison of how much I tightened up the layout and how.
>>
>>277353
oh for fuck's sake dude
>>
>>277353
You distorted the spiral. If you had any intention of using it then you completely ruined it. The use of the golden ratio doesn't rely on a spiral. It's like you've been memed and didn't realize a thing.
>>
>>277394
I forgot to mention that I was still unsure if I used to the spiral correctly. Doesn't distorting the spiral still make all the sections 1.618:1 of each other regardless because all rectangles are being scaled at the same time?
>>
>>277400
No because then it doesn't behave a like a golden rectangle that's used to draw the golden spiral
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_rectangle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_spiral

Your initial rectangle needs to be a golden rectangle. Then you divide it to make a square inside of it, with the rest being golden rectangle too. Then you draw a quarter circle within the square and continue doing so with the smaller golden rectangle.

The way you distorted the initial rectangle ended up with quarter ovals instead of quarter circles. That's not a golden spiral.
>>
>>270947
I worked as a recruiter in Detroit for many of the OEMs, some technology companies, and some banks (Last I heard Comerica still needs UI/UX devs with your skillset), and the biggest thing about resumes is simplicity. Go traditional with the resume, but have a portfolio to show off your work. If you ever submit your resume to a recruiter agency to aid in applying for jobs, we just turn that shit into a basic resume anyways because it needs to be an easy read. I've dealt with a few people whose resumes were similar to you picture and I always asked them for a regular resume.
>>
>>271204
Top just needs to be Daniel Aguilar, number, email,and address if you want. the rest is good
>>
>>275858
This is the best

>>275768
>>275004
>>274885
>>274156
>>271360
>>271040
I get that you are all graphic artists and you want to give them a taste of what you can do with your resume, but don't. Stop with the colors and the show-offy stuff. Your work should be in your portfolio. You are trying to appeal to hiring managers, not other graphic designers.
>>
>>271183
>>275858
Would hire

The rest of you should look into swiss graphic design or you gonna end up doing facebook mastheads for third rate agencies
>>
>>277506
Can you describe how I could improve >>277352?
>>
>>276530
Technical Writer here. Don't ever fucking center align anything EVER. It just looks bad. Remember to use Z pattern.
>>
>>275066
Pretty sure he meant he had the opening or closing shift, working AS the cashier.
>>
>>278167
That might be true, but if so it's still very poorly worded
>>
File: resume_new_fake.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
resume_new_fake.pdf
1B, 486x500px
How's my resume?
>>
>>271040
>That "Who am I" section
Nice blog faggot. Get rid of it.

You're file's labelled "CURRICULUM VITAE" but it's a resume. There isn't a big difference between these but some smart-ass might think you're dumb for thinking they're the same thing.

Remove the bullet points from the list.

Copyrighting isn't really a skill. Neither is social media.

I don't like the drop shadows on the green text.

Get rid of a couple of the programs on the list. Better yet, don't write the programs down. Instead write "Logo Design", "Photo Editing", "Web Design", etc. under "Skills". This lets them know the sorts of things you can do for their company. They probably either don't care which program you use or assume you know the programs they force you to use.

>Actionscript Moderate
Again, I probably wouldn't list this. It already comes under "Flash". If you have time, you could try learning Javascript. It's very similar to Actionscript and probably more marketable, unless you're working in Flash for some reason.

>(Easter,Soccer)
Put a space after the comma.

The dates in "Relevant Experience" are huge. Make them smaller and lighter and possibly put them on the same line as the jobs' titles.

There's about 10 different fonts used. Try and re-use the same fonts and sizes more to make it look consistent.
>>
>>275828
>I am a person with strong communication and leadership skills, don’t forget it.
Needs a full stop.
>leadership skills. Don't forget it
I also wouldn't say "Don't forget it". You're commanding them what to do.

I would just list the languages, programs, and operating systems you use instead of putting them in sentences.

I would capitalize month names.

What's with the crosses? They're like bullet points, but on the wrong side.
>>
>>276530
Blender isn't "Blender3D" but it's probably a good idea to let them know what sort of program it is. 3D skills sound cool.

>File explorer
Did you do anything particularly advanced with it. That's like saying you use the Start Menu.

>going to the gym to improve physical strength
That's fucking autistic and irrelevant. You could mention something about being active and hopefully they'll start seeing that you work out when you get interviews.

I would switch the jobs and the place that employs you, and the school's and degree (just say "High School" or your local equivalent for your secondary education).

They don't need to know the exact months you worked at each place, but you can leave this in if you want. I would set the dates in a lighter, smaller font; they're not important.

Don't say "hobbyist knowledge", just "knowledge" or "some knowledge.

I would say
>I'm sociable and communicate well. I always enjoy making friends and working in a team. I go to the gym to keep active

If you're obviously unfit, say
>I've recently started going to the gym to keep active.
until you get fit.
>>
>>276530
I forgot to mention it looks pretty good.

Also, I would use the space down the bottom to put a little space between your phone number and "Work Experience" and maybe between the three main sections as well.
>>
>>278574
Looks good! I would reduce the spacing between the experience bits though. Will give you some more room on the page as well.
>>
File: resume.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
resume.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>278574
I redid mine, inspired by your design
>>
>>271040
about the form:
>your fonts suck. try using a hip and trendy font like montserrat and/or roboto
>get rid of the banner. cmon, triangles and gradients?
>if you wanna fancy up your resume use white text on a solid single-color background for your titles
>name should be bigger and preferably in the top left corner. the top left corner is where we all start reading and should hence contain the most important piece of information
>don't center text, you aren't 15 nor a kindergarden teacher
>don't use dropshadow, keep it simple

about the content
>your name is so white yet your experience screams brown
>"""""online courses"""""" are a meme; everyone learns html & css through tutorials, even if they're from VDAB
>git gud

Also, Antwerp sucks; /9000/ ftw
>>
>>271204
lose the d
>>
>>271360
>using oblique instead of italics
>middle line not centered
>"title-line" not consistently used
>font-size is way too big; this looks like it was made for children
stay in las vegas
>>
>>275768
-ditch the Baskerville and replace with a Light version of your font
-bulletpoints (which i would consider replacing with dashes) should be 10-11pt
>>
>>276530
>centered info yet still using icons
>no date of birth?
>bullets are choking titles
>use long dashes for dates
>use indesign or illustrator, photoshop kerning sucks
>>
>>277016
>IK Blue
that won't print bro
also /blackonwhite/
>>
File: goldensectiona4spread.png (154KB, 2484x1760px) Image search: [Google]
goldensectiona4spread.png
154KB, 2484x1760px
>>277353
>>277400
>>277394
that's not even how you divide an A4 into golden sections
>>
>>273132
im trying to style my cv using this format, does anyone know the format?
>>
>>270947
I'm sorry to disappoint you, but this would not be accepted as a resume in most of the companies - think of your resume like you think of your ID card. The place to show off your creativity is your portofolio.
>>
File: resume_wip.jpg (335KB, 1200x1697px) Image search: [Google]
resume_wip.jpg
335KB, 1200x1697px
I've been using the same layout for a while, just recently updated with fonts, grids and killing all the colours + icons
>>
File: CV2.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
CV2.pdf
1B, 486x500px
made a resume a while ago, now revised it with some inspiration from designs I saw here.
Is the italic bold too much?
>>
>>270947
OP designs resume
>>fags up resume
GD designs resume
>>aligns text to baseline, works from a grid, facilitates flow of informations through rythm and hierarchy

Pick one...protip theres only one right answer.

Your resume is not your portfoloo your portfolio is your portfolio
>>
File: 5e.png (243KB, 1058x1360px) Image search: [Google]
5e.png
243KB, 1058x1360px
>>270947

i'm not exactly shooting for a job in GD

i'm trying to get into finance

can you guys give me some resume tips?

should i add pictures of the seals of the schools on the right?

i've seen this work well for Wharton students

I'm at Boston College right now
>>
>>279320
>inspired
>>
File: cvde.jpg (992KB, 2550x3301px) Image search: [Google]
cvde.jpg
992KB, 2550x3301px
>>273132
>>275828
???
>>
>>280355
>Is the italic bold too much?

Helvetica Neue is too much
>>
>>270947
I would find the guy that did this, find his professors, and fire a complain with the University in order to get them fired.
That shit is a travesty.
>UK
Well I guess that explains it.
>>
>>271040
draw more attention to your experience as a garbage collecor

change the font to jokerman
>>
>>281577

>change the font to jokerman

no, The Sans all the way...
>>
>>281551

are Memtics Design and Memetics Design related to each other?

at least have consistent spell-check with your shitposting. sheeeeit.
>>
>>281587
>implying that inconsistent spellchecking isn't shitposting
>>
I really like this guys resume: http://ahogenhaven.com/
>>
nicely laid out resume
>>
>simple, elegant resumen
>qr code to your portfolio
>>
File: 6d711a4acdbc4303bbda7dffdd0c8f38.png (528KB, 1666x1880px) Image search: [Google]
6d711a4acdbc4303bbda7dffdd0c8f38.png
528KB, 1666x1880px
Thoughts?
>>
>>282385
Not sure why it's so fucky and blurry using 4chanx. Could have been the screenshot I took just because I don't have that on my new work computer.
>>
>>282385
Shiggydiggy holy fuck dude no
>>
>>282385
This is incredibly weird and ugly, and also your logo looks like a throwaway Marvel comic
>>
>>282385
Is this a resume for reddit?
>>
>>282385

scrap the who's this archie guy anyways?. re think of a grid structure and re think logo placement. also scrap the "tools of the trade" section. it comes across as a space filler. if you really want to add more to your resume without adding unnecessary filler shit just elaborate on your responsibilities/accomplishments regarding your work experience.

but like I mentioned definitely re think the grid structure. its like ridiculously annoying to read and seems like you just did it because you had no other clever ideas.
>>
>>277353
first of all, cut it out with the golden ratio bullshit grid you came up with.

Second, get rid of the shadows behind the text. It would be a good resume without that garbage.
>>
>>282686
I've long ditched the ratio stuff, and the shadow was just a comparison. The last one I uploaded was >>279320.
>>
File: bundle-o.jpg (351KB, 1200x799px) Image search: [Google]
bundle-o.jpg
351KB, 1200x799px
Anyone got some nice templates they can share?

Looking for:
>https://creativemarket.com/RefineryResumeCo/282737-Go-Big-or-Go-Home%21-The-Resume-Bundle
>>
>>271150
you can scan key words in pdf too. ctrl + f or cmd + f
>>
File: Design Resume.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Design Resume.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>270947
>>
>>282823

>charts n graphs

holy fucking shit, not another resumé scale chart on which softwares you are not ultimately proficient with.

fucking stop this shit.
>>
>>282754
>being such a gigantic shitter in graphic design that you can't even design your own resume
seriously contemplate your career choice
>>
File: image.png (209KB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
209KB, 1275x1650px
critique pls
>>
>>282823
>good use of font weights
>grid system in place
>proper margins
>nice proportions
pretty good
>>
>>282835
4/10 try again
>>
>>282840
oh fuck me, it was supposed to be joke critique for >>282832
>>
>>282830
Those templates are 10x better than any of the shit posted on this thread.
>>
>>282823
7/10 if it's a joke/satire
1/10 otherwise
>>
I work mainly in film/videography so my main CV is basically a double-sided list of all the shoots I've worked on but I want a second document more akin to a regular CV for other part-time work including advertising and design, as well as a cover letter template all with the same aesthetic. Any advice? Can you use colour if it's only a small splash on your logo?
>>
>timely fashion
>punctual
>well-organized
>high attention to detail
>works best under pressure
>meets deadlines
>professional experience
>proficient in: list of software
>every buzzword possible
>bullshitting

yes, we know most of the people behind the resumés posted here are proficient in bullshitting, bullshitting, and bullshitting. qualified in buzzwords.
>>
>>281661
What's this font called?
>>
>>281661
not a resume
>>
>>282864
that's not an excuse
>>
>>279325
>using oblique instead of italics

It's all italics.

>middle line not centered

It is. It's a quick screenshot, hence the imperfection and funky crop.

>"title-line" not consistently used

That's right, and has since been fixed.

>font-size is way too big; this looks like it was made for children

Not a single character over 12pt. Once again, blown up screenshot. Just trying to make sure detail was visible.

>stay in las vegas

Will do, as long as you stay on /gd/.
>>
>>282830

Sorry man, I didn't ask for them to use for my own personal gain. Just wanted to look at simpler/different kinds of inspiration while getting the icons and fonts from the pack. Figured this thread was the best place to ask since it's about resumes.
>>
>>281577
I am considering a change in careers. Fuck /gd/. Its ruining the only thing I love.
>>
>>283042

/gd is not the end-all.

/gd is a safe-haven for pricks that ruin everything on web and are always shit on in real life.

take stuff with a grain of salt. do a web search for ppl that might offer help/feedback in real life that goes farther than this. chances are, if random people don't get it, nobody will.

if you have to resort to /gd, then your teachers did not prep you for the real world. those "teachers" should have a sense of what their personal experiences were being hired (RIGHT? nah they didn't get jobs...) and HELP their students. but they don't care.

that's why i don't put my resumé up here, there are too many degenerates with worse work than their attitudes are.
Thread posts: 183
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.