[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Storybook for blind children

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: tactile-photography3.jpg (42KB, 818x545px) Image search: [Google]
tactile-photography3.jpg
42KB, 818x545px
I'm trying to construct and write an illustrated (creative) book for blind children.

I need creative input as much as possible, and everything must make sense as well.

Right now I'm troubled on what's my story going to be.

Things I plan on including:
braille
tactile
textures
embossing

Right now though, Im trying to focus on what should I put as story
>>
>>260752
A story of a king who loves his daughter so much he keeps her locked away in a dungeon under his house.
>>
>>260753

I've read a similar story from Greek Mythology.

I think it will be best if it's something like The Boy Who Cried Wolf
>>
>>260762
Yes but instead of a boy make it a girl and instead of wolf make it rape.
>>
You should go all meta, make the main character a blind person. Someone the blind can relate to.
>>
>>260752
What's wrong with an audio book?
>>
how descriptive is brail.
>>
>>260773

I have an idea, I'm not sure if it has creative potential or pure stupidity.

Main character has powers but only when he closes his eyes.

My target age is between 5 yrs old - 12 yrs old

>>260947
The blind are more reliant on touch

>>260952
What do you mean? Braille is enough to depict numbers, punctuations, and the alphabet
>>
>>260952
It's literally just letters in raised dots form, so it's as descriptive as the English language?

>>260752
Are you aware that a very small percentage of blind people can read Braille?
>>
>>260954

It differs from a place to another. Where I am at, literacy of blind people is average/decent.

This is actually a thesis project. Would you recommend that I change/limit my target audience to literate children?
>>
>>260773
Holy shit that would work great as a twist element

Like the protag is advancing effortlessly through the story but has to overconquer something major in the final act because suprise: he/she was subtly blind this whole time
>>
>>261178
That would be hard to pull off. What do you suggest?
>>
>>261229
Just write the Daredevil comic
>>
Do one about art to encourage creativity for those who are blind.

You've got to brainstorm. Take a while to write down a bunch of ideas for your concept. Then go from there.
>>
>>261178
It's tricky but you'd have to tell the story entirely from the 'viewpoint' of a blind person.

It'll fit the book because it's obviously for blind children, but when you reveal the protag within the story is blind as well and that every detail written/texture given was an actual observation by the protag you get a new layer of immersion and relation as a reader
>>
>>261347
I don't know if the thesis panelists would appreciate that, but as far as creative writing goes, I'll try to make it work.

>>261245
I've been thinking about the same concept myself. Part of our study is to enhance and encourage blind children to pursue art.
>>
File: 1396385883931.gif (2MB, 363x221px) Image search: [Google]
1396385883931.gif
2MB, 363x221px
>>260752
This is a admirable project, and it would really use it's full potential if it was a book for 'nrw' blind readers - born blind (children) or recently blinded

Braille is fairly easy to learn, tactile is a borad term, texture is intuiative, and interestingly embossing can be usefull, although I am assured from my own study of this field that only the very pronounced surfaces are destinguisiable (as your pic)

You could make a book series for blind reading learners, increasing difficulty (longer sentances, smaller braile, multi motive embossed pictures)
>>
>>261347
>>261178

Like Denzel did?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9iJKgPenps
>>
>>261515

Consider that this is a Children's storybook. Im including a narrative that is not complicated and is plain simple, man.

Ive decided to go with something like
"John goes to the zoo
To the park
To the museum"

A series of places describing them in the book visually for children
>>
File: 99bc06f706b69820ddfca3f40f4502f1.png (471KB, 640x1103px) Image search: [Google]
99bc06f706b69820ddfca3f40f4502f1.png
471KB, 640x1103px
nobody talk about this game ?
>>
>>261823
>this
never played this game but try it before, mature content i think
>>
>>260752
If it's for very young children, have the protagonist be blind and have them encounter various objects with very different textures (which can be felt in the book by the child)
Make the layout clear too (Braille on the pages on the left, images / textures on the right)
Also have visible elements for the parent / adult if the book is being read to a blind child?
>>
>>261992

The initial cover page layout (or the whole branding of the product) is actually targeted for people who can see. We thought that it should be that way if it was going to be available to the market. Otherwise, what should we do?
>>
>>262026
Well I'd definitely say include pictures and visible text on the cover and on the inside, to make sure it's accessible by all, but try not to include anything that makes blind children excluded in any way. As long as it appeals to the reader whether they're blind or not, its fine.
>>
Make one with plenty of tricks, e.i they're stroking a pair of balls thinking its a lion
>>
>>262060
That's what I had in mind as well, thanks. Market for everyone, but target audience content is for blind children.

>>262064
Would seem like a novelty
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.