[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can anyone help me with this cover?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 7

File: no name cover.jpg (109KB, 792x1200px) Image search: [Google]
no name cover.jpg
109KB, 792x1200px
I have just finished writing my first novel. I post my cover in /lit/, asking for opinion. Some said this cover is not good enough. I agree because it was designed by me. Some suggested that I should come here for help. So I come here.
I really don't have the money to hire a professional designer. I don't want to show off, but I used to make $350 a month (standard salary in my country), and I am jobless now. So, could someone give me some simple tips to improve this cover? I am not asking for free work, we all have things to worry about, right?
Thank you.
>>
>>241282
Honestly, if it's your book and you don't have money to pay anyone, then it's a good enough cover.

With that said, the font screams amateur design, otherwise it could be a-ok.
>>
>>241284
What font do you think I should use for the title and/or the pen name?
>>
>>241282

this>>241284

But should tell us more about your novel if you want help.
>>
I would love to. My novel is long and it would likely bore you. I will make it short, but you can still read my full version below if you’re interested. Damn, I love bragging about my novel.
Short version: The eye symbol on the cover is the symbol of a good called the Holy Eye in my novel. His follower is does not take it easy on witches who turn out to be just ordinary guys like you and me. When Doomsday come, they blame it on the “witches” and set out to kill all of them.
Long version—brag, sorry: The novel starts with conversation between a professor and an AI of some massive, super amazing project. Then we have a nuclear war wiping out our kind or humans. Then it jumps to a flying ship and a couple of survival watching their 200 years old civilization destroyed by a great flood. The main story starts with a character named Noah, a delivery man and a part-time hunter. One day Noah meets his teacher. The old and wise man tell him that this world is going to end, and only super mysterious guy can stop Doomsday. Noah does not believe and thinks that his teacher is...mad. After some disasters (blood sea, earth quake, black flies), Noah decides that he must set out find that super mysterious guy and ask him to stop this stupid Doomsday. The funny thing is, before his death, Noah's teacher told Noah that the mysterious guy was his blood father. Freak out, Noah runs to the church where his adoptive father is praying and ask him about the blood father. The adoptive father is the Bishop of the super cruel witch-hater group. He told Noah this and that. Then Noah left, feeling the sin of his blood father on his back, he determines that he must find the old asshole and makes him fix his mistake. Then we have a long adventure with giant spiders, cyborg werebear, and things like that. In the end. Noah comes to know that the world he lives in and Doomsday are part of a grand plan of the AI. But why the AI do that? It does that because it wants to preserve human.
>>
>>241294
"good" --> I mean GOD.
>>
Make the title all caps (not small caps like you have now). Center the symbol on the page. Add some space between the author line and the bottom border, like you have at the top. Darken the red a little bit so it's not so eye-searing (if it's meant to be viewed on a screen; since you're doing the cover yourself I assume you're self-publishing online). Take off the word "by".

I think adding anything more to this would not work out in your favor because you're not a designer. For a lay person, what you came up with is actually not bad. A lot better than some of the shit that self-proclaimed designers post here all the time, at least.
>>
File: aged_comic.jpg (180KB, 1033x773px) Image search: [Google]
aged_comic.jpg
180KB, 1033x773px
>>241364
This is good advice OP

Maybe add a simple texture to the black stuff to give it something more? Something like pic related
>>
Thank you all. I'll try to work it out.
>>
>>241294
This is probably going to sound really rude, but I hope that novel isn't in English.
>>
>>241284
no it is not.

the some_guy is too close to the edge, the blank space between the title and the icon is disturbing and you gotta watch out for the red/balck contrast because it tends to fade when printed
>>
File: 1446487261903.jpg (129KB, 792x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1446487261903.jpg
129KB, 792x1200px
>>241603
something like this
>>
File: eye triangle 1-01-03.jpg (2MB, 6700x5016px) Image search: [Google]
eye triangle 1-01-03.jpg
2MB, 6700x5016px
>>241282

Here's a quick redo, took me 10 mins so don't expect something finished, but already I've fed some extra concepts into your design. I really feel like you missed a trick here. if you rotate the cover and position the tear centred you can create a hazard sign /!\ easily. There's an extra bit of interaction for you. Imagine the reader was going to pick up this book; they read the title, then go to read the author, but have to rotate the book to read it as it's upside down, then the hazard sign makes its self visible. Simple shit, but already you can get a potential buyer to do something extra with you book that they wouldn't do with another, which means more notice to your book and potentially more sales. Design 101 man, this shit usually isn't free but I have nothing better to do.
>>
File: warning-general-2.gif (5KB, 380x340px) Image search: [Google]
warning-general-2.gif
5KB, 380x340px
>>241610
And there's your hazard sign for reference.
>>
>>241610
>>241612
OP, you're very lucky to have gotten good advice like this. It's this simple shit that can get you extra sales. He made a hell of a lot of improvements, stick with something like this.
>>
File: Untitled-1.png (111KB, 792x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.png
111KB, 792x1200px
>>241282
Hey, I think you should go for something along these lines. I have stuck with your design but roughly added a few improvements for you to add to your work if you wish.

Firstly, I think the smaller, central design that I have chose fits with the colour scheme and adds to the symmetry of the cover. A slightly desaturated vignette of the base colour could work wonders to bring your whole cover together.

A side note is that, i don't know if "some_guy" is a place holder for your real name or if it is what you will publish your identity as but from a graphics pov the underscore in the name is a big concern as it just screams modernisation, no matter what the theme of your book is. If it is, then I would suggest changing it so that you can create covers with your name without people becoming misconstrued about the genre of the book.

Hope this helps somewhat. You seem like a great guy so I hope your book does well.
>>
File: GOODBOOKART-01.png (278KB, 3300x5000px) Image search: [Google]
GOODBOOKART-01.png
278KB, 3300x5000px
ive gotchu senpai
>>
For real though, you're using too many rounded edges vs sharp corners. This is in various elements of your cover(typefaces, triangles, border). Pick one, not both. Otherwise it looks really ugly
>>
>>241638
I approve of this
>>
>>241638
I suggest line thickness of font and triangle to be the same. Font is also too pointy while the triangle has pointy edgy elements
>>
>>241610
lol that's all bs pyschology
>>
>>241638
I like this but the font is too small and thin, you should be a letter to read it while it's sitting on a shelf.
>>
>>241666
But why wouldn't you put in the extra effort? Is it because you're synical, lazy, a mediocre designer? You've also failed to provide any answeres of your own. Whether it's actually bullshit or not is debatable. The fact is that there are too many factors to consider to actually present solid evidence that design gimmicks do work to increase product sales, but whats for certain is that vast amounts of money are spent to make packaging and design interesting and engaging and the best pay and recognition goes to designs which go that extra mile. Without a doubt there is a market for this and your blind if you cant see that. More and more money is spent on special finishes and luxury packaging these days. Universities teach their students to think like this in order to produce designs that aren't cliché or under developed. Whats even more obvious is that there is a lot of mediocre design and lacksidasical thinking and people with your attitude don't help that. Most importantly people who do buy and enjoy the product will appreciate the effort. At least offer an alternative if your out to slag something off.
>>
>>241638
Poor font choices. Outer line shouldn't be as thick if you don't want it to distract
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.