[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Typeface thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

File: TQBFJUTLDFOTO.png (722KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
TQBFJUTLDFOTO.png
722KB, 1920x1080px
Hey /gd/,

What's up.

I started making this font a few weeks ago and was wondering what you guys thought of it.

It's intended use is to be implemented into stencils (think Banksy) and the interspaces, which the characters contain,
are there to facilitate the accuracy of the applied paint from a pressurized vessle such as a paintcan.

The picture you were just presented with is actually a photograph of a 3x A4 leaflet, unto which I had printed the letters (in black)
and then stuck together, which is hanging on my wall.

I have "the mastersheet" stored on my drive in a PNG format which was created by scanning in hand-drawn letters and
then editing them with 'photoshop-light' (paint).

Very few of the original letters remain though, as most letters are composites of elements taken from previously created characters.
The "R" as you can see, is simply a "P" with an added diagonal line.
The "P" was created by adding an extra vertical line on the left side of the "D".
The "D" before that was made by vertically inverting a "C" and adding just one vertical line to the left side of it.
And so on.

The bright, intense orange glow which surround the characters was an unintended side-effect of 'jacking up' the intensity as well as the contrast
with the image editing software of an android smartphone.
The intended background-color was obviously white, only I think the bordeaux-red paint of my wall gave it this profound, vibrant and fire-like aurora.

The sentence is the easiest pangram (a holoalphabetic sentence which contains every letter of the alfabet at least once) you can imagine.
They're typically used to present typefaces / fonts, so don't bother with trying to decode it; there is no secret meaning to it.

The "G" looks slightly off, and I'm working on that.
Furthermore the "J" slightly protrudes above the 'X-height', which is making my OCD go really bad, so I'm working to fix that.

Comment / rate / troll.

>Also show your own & compare typfaces thread.
>>
>>237077
>The sentence is the easiest pangram (a holoalphabetic sentence which contains every letter of the alfabet at least once) you can imagine.
>They're typically used to present typefaces / fonts, so don't bother with trying to decode it; there is no secret meaning to it.
dude thanks for giving us this very advanced, obscure knowledge

The font is visually okay but there are many problems of consistency (letter pairs that should follow the same model, but dont): in a second I can see E/F, O/D, V/W and I/T. Also the H is fucked up, and the W is really ugly. A good thing are the letter proportions, which look nice.
I also think there are way too many unneeded cuts but that's your choice.
>>
>The Quick Brown
>not A Quick Brown

uhhh
>>
>>237180

kek I didn't even catch that

OP, I can tell you have OCD, I used to have this urge to over-explain too, weird

I do like the font though, looks useful
>>
File: mbznuMl.gif (1MB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
mbznuMl.gif
1MB, 500x500px
>>237077
Pretty stencil font OP

>>237099
>letter pairs that should follow the same model, but dont
you are making no sense, your examples all seem to follow the same trend
> way too many unneeded cuts
you've obviously never made spray painted stencils before
>>
As a 'graffiti artist', you've put WAY too many connections in, for example, the B has excess.
More cutting, less rigidity.
>>
>>237180
>>237182
I DID THAT SO THAT THE SENTENCE WOULD BE SLIGHTLY MORE SYMMETRICAL.
DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND HOW OCD WORKS?!
"The Quick Brown Etc." is a totally valid and more harmonious option when trying to present a typeface like this, as opposed to "A Quick Brown Etc.".

>>237185
This guy I can talk with.

>>237190
Which ones do you suppose I take out of the "B" then?
Remember, this will be used for stencils.
They're designed exactly so that the square that contains each character is printed at 10 x 10 cm (ex-fucking-actly).
This however means that any 'loose' pieces of interspacing will quickly fold unto itself or mismatch some other way.

>>237099
Same story here.
You'll need those "cuts" to make sure that the piece that the cut is holding unto will actually not be painted over when spraying with a spraycan.
Try to imagine holding this vertically and spraying highly pressurized and viscous liquids at it.
Maybe you'll understand why some interspace is needed.
As for the "H", I find it looking more retarded when I put in horizontal interspaces instead of that vertical one, or is that not what you're hating on?
>>
>>237211
For someone who claims to have OCD, I would imagine saying "The sentence is the easiest pangram you can imagine" would make your autism run wild, because that's not true.

"A Quick Brown" has two fewer characters than "The Quick Brown" man
>>
File: obvious.gif (12KB, 432x288px) Image search: [Google]
obvious.gif
12KB, 432x288px
>>237211
>Which ones do you suppose I take out of the "B" then?
Did you look at stencil fonts before making your own? Really...
It's not just the B that is off, it's D, E, F, H, O and Q. You're weakening the letters with all the extra cuts/cuts in the wrong places and not making them stronger as a stencil is supposed to do.

Also, there's no consistency in the spacing of what you cut, not sure why "your OCD" isn't kicking in on that.
>>
Here's another.
>>
>>237238
"cuts in the wrong places"

>Implying there is a magical, predetermined place for interspacing when designing your own stencil-typeface.

That's exactly why I've started working on this in the first place.
There's already an innumerable number of prefabricated typefaces out there which all look exactly the same (and all equally retarded).

Whilst designing this I had three main objectives:
1. The typeface has to be clear, symmetrical and easy to read from a distance (no mistakes about which letter you're reading from at least 20m distance ; hence the huge 10 x 10cm standard format).

2. Applying the paint should happen as accurately as I possible can get it to (basically no folding of 'flaps' which might fuck up the eventual graphic).

3. All letters had to balance out (both in height and surface area).

So thanks for posting font #51i36475 and font #994747251 for me to compare with.
Though rather than having your vonformist mentality of doing the same fucking thing over and over again until you can finally throw it on the already huge shitpile, I'd like to have some variety in things I create.
>>
>>237237
SHUT YOUR FUCKING MOUTH.
SYMMETRY BEATS PROPPER GRAMMER, ALWAYS.
YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW OCD WORKS.

>gtfo my thread pls
>>
>>237355
*conformist
>>
File: QuantaEast.gif (13KB, 432x288px) Image search: [Google]
QuantaEast.gif
13KB, 432x288px
>>237355
Here's another stencil font for you to chew on.

>cuts in the wrong places
You can spin it anyway you want, the cuts you've made make no sense when applying the stencil. The forms they create are weakened when they should be as strong as possible. It's not a matter of style, it's a matter of function. Compare your H and the H from Glazer Stencil. Glazer's has three strong rectangles, yours has only one cut, but in the middle of the H it only weakens the two forms it divides.

>Comment / rate / troll.
With that said, I'm sorry, I didn't understand in your first post that:
a) you were only looking for appraisal (tough luck if what you made doesn't really cut it - pun intended)
b) you were reinventing the wheel without really understanding how it spins.
>>
File: nicegkid.jpg (229KB, 600x596px) Image search: [Google]
nicegkid.jpg
229KB, 600x596px
>>237077
The G is the weirdest of the bunch

Also I weep for you if you go into THIS much detail when explaining every piece of your work
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.