[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any Non-Worthless Search Engines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

File: logo_searx_a.png (9KB, 631x237px) Image search: [Google]
logo_searx_a.png
9KB, 631x237px
I'm sure all of you have noticed Google has been slowly making their search engine more and more fucking worthless. Does anyone know of any that don't rely on shit adwords and like for results?

I'm running my own instance of pic related for privacy, but it only gathers results from other popular search engines (which include Google and others on its level).

I'd really like to be able to use search again without having links from 2011 or absolute trash on the first page.
>>
Someone should make a peer-to-peer search engine network. So it wouldn't need revenue.
>>
>>62467257
It's possible to do and distribute the load, but it'd take a shitload of users running nodes to get something decent.
>>
>>62467257
>what is yacy or is german brother in c++
>>
>>62467325
Why hasn't Yacy cought on? And why haven't I heard about it?
>>
>>62467205
I really think reddit killed search engines. Before you could find comprehensible threads on any topic from independent phpbb and vbulletin forums. Now the only thing close is reddit, and even if it has the info (it doesnt) you have to put up with the horrible culture
>>
>>62467257
retarded
>>
>>62467325
Checking out Yacy and FAROO rn.
>>62467328
>contribute every time you search
Search times would be insane, unless you wanted to just get a random splash of the first sites the crawler retrieved without any rankings.
>maybe have it give a "premium" mode if you run a server/node on your PC?
Only thing that comes to mind is speed up the searches of node-maintainers, while collectively slowing down everyone else. Which seems like shit.
>>62467404
Reddit has killed most forums as is. Now they're stuck in the corners of Web 1.0 or "Latest Reply 2015." There's some good shit on there 10% of the time though. Rankings would need to make aggregators like FB, Reddit, and like be less important.
>>
>>62467404
I pretty much only get results from reddit or askubuntu/stackexchange
>>
>>62467454
>"How do you pipe X command to Y"
>First page all AskUbuntu
>All top answers: "Well you need to download X, Y, and Z"
FUCK.
>-site:askubuntu
>Results: 4
>>62467390
God awful marketing.
>>
>>62467205
>Google has been slowly making their search engine more and more fucking worthless
how?
>>
>>62467494
Can you remember the last time your results were actually useful? It's partly SEO and content farm's fault, but Adwords shit is not making it better.
>>
>>62467513
i get useful results every day. adwords? isn't that blocked by every decent ad blocker?
>>
>>62467535
Search "how to build a shelf" and tell me how any of those is in anyway above mildly useful. My first result is pinterest and the last two are DIY network with slideshows.
>>
>>62467535
You're a blind idiot

google's becoming practically worthless as a search engine for me
>>
>>62467390
>>62467325
Yacy is 800 fucking MB, my man what the fuck lmao.
Downloading this from github with 300 KiB/s is ass.
>>
File: Qwant, not a quack.png (8KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
Qwant, not a quack.png
8KB, 220x220px
>ctrl+f
>no qwant

Pro:
- EU-based (France)
- EU legal framework aimed at protecting user's privacy
- they officially state that "Qwant does not collect data about its users when they search" and " your query is instantly anonymized by being dissociated from your IP address, in accordance with what the French data controller advices"
- data is collected only if you register, and still won't put tracking cookies
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qwant#Privacy
- receives funding from EU
- something similar to ddg's !bang syntax is available

Cons:
- France
- Still a centralized search engine
- Still a corp
- For the "Qwant Boards" product (but it seems only for this product), "French law makes it mandatory to keep some connection data (e.g. user ID used, URL or position, nature of the operation, timeā€¦) for one year."
>>
>>62467678
Ayy, this is actually better than google in terms of results. But my biggest quip with it is that it returns the same huge sites that don't have any substance.
>>
>>62467454
>>62467438
:( god has left us
>>
>>62467678
hmmm interesting
>>
>>62467740
>>62467476
>>62467454
>>62467438
Just found this that might be cool: http://boardreader.com/
>>
>niggas don't know about www.gigablast.com
the only open source search engine
>>
>>62467799
>search: how to build a shelf
>How to Make Your Own NSA Bulk Surveillance System | WIRED
Neat.
>>
No one's said searx yet? Holy crackers!
>>
>>62467854
Are you using a text-to-speech program, blind-anon?
>>
>>62467678
I heard something about them selling data. It's also slightly unsettling how they suddenly made an app and a browser extension just for searching.
>>
AI this AI that and yet nobody has built a fucking crawler that can index shit properly.
>>
>>62467903
>I heard something about them selling data.
[citation needed]
they ToS says the opposite. They get "commissions" when and if a user clicks on some third-party result, according to wikipedia. No selling of data occurs anyway
>browser extension
? just add it to your search engines. There are search extensions for anything, if you found something on AMO the source is in the .xpi like any other addon. From what I read on one of the addon in AMO, it just turns on the (useless) DNT and add itself to the search engine list (plus probably adds some way to connect to a qwant account I guess - if you ever decide to have one)
>>
File: file.png (146KB, 1170x853px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
146KB, 1170x853px
>>62467824
lies
>>
File: tumblr_m1ipi7gYRy1qgsgz3o1_500.jpg (19KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m1ipi7gYRy1qgsgz3o1_500.jpg
19KB, 500x333px
>>62467257
Blockchain has turned the kids into communist larpers
>>
>>62467868
No, I just type properly.
>>
>>62468091
The 8th result.
>>
>>62467535
white couple
>>
>>62467854
>>62468129

wow.
>>
Isn't the whole point of searx the ability to be hosted by yourself?

Otherwise you still rely on a 3rd party central server...

>inb4 bing
I'd rather use DDG for muh search accuracy.
>>
>>62468184
Yeah, you run your own instance of have a friend run one.
>>62468129
>>62467868
I don't think you saw what I did there, anon.
>>
>>62468129
searx is literally in the first post
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.