[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how to maximize performance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: cover_mate.jpg (232KB, 640x288px) Image search: [Google]
cover_mate.jpg
232KB, 640x288px
somebody can tell me how to make linux mint cinamon [or mate (?) because of an uninstall option in the context menu] desktop lighter on virtual machine? I can't stop using windows because wine is piece of garbage but I want use linux as sub system on VMware

I have intel core duo [can't remember the model] 2,3Ghz

this device can handle linux on VM [fedora works almost perfect] but somehow it's too weak for the browser and longer office work [puppy linux have problem with the drivers and mouse]

anybody? solution? maybe I should use some software to change profile performance to maximum?
>>
>>62442424
>how to maximize performance
Upgrade your hardware, that's the only real way
>>
Compile everything for your won CPU with -march=native
>>
>>62442424

don't get me wrong, I will buy newer device but this one is still 'new' for me it can handle 3d in the PS and stuff

sometimes browser and office on vm works perfect sometimes not
>>
>>62442462
>sometimes browser and office on vm works perfect sometimes not
Just use Windows for that?

Of course it's not going to run fast if you're virtualizing things. You shouldn't do anything graphical or audio related in a VM, that's not what they're good at. You can use Ubuntu MATE if you want an Ubuntu VM with a graphical shell, and then not use a hardware compositor, or you just stick to the command line.

I see not one point in your solution.
>>
>>62442501

meh, so only light distro or i7, this is kinda annoying because of how good it works in general
>>
>>62442531
>meh, so only light distro or i7
No, only TTY or on hardware.

Whatever you're doing, it doesn't make any sense. What's the point?
>>
>>62442424
What applications do you use in WINE?
>>
>>62442570

LOT, linux is lacking in, wine is lacking in, this system is piece of shit, don't try help me here, tested it like a week ago and none is working properly

>>62442551
well... maybe yes, thanks anon, + I want use VM for net + cloud/destop server sharing in future, to not bother my head about windows security, I'm not a noob about this but...I'm kinda tired of all these threats
>>
>>62442424
Install powertop.
It can tell you which applications are using most cpu/power.
You can also use the system monitor to see what is using most memory.

Minimizing those will improve performance.
If it is in a VM, you can toy a lot more with it without risking to break your system, so go nuts.
Be aware that optimizing performance can also be allowing you to work smarter.
You are often the reason something takes a long time.
A good example is writing a document.
Typing the words is limited by you.
So adding tools that can help you type faster in whatever context you need is a performance boost, even if it uses resources.
When you know excactly how you want a system, create a new vm and then set it up.
Make a script that makes setting it up easy.

Then buy a new computer.
c2duo suggest your computer is 8 years old, so this is not unreasonable by any means.
Use the same setup script.
>>
>>62442708
>>>62442551 (You)
>well... maybe yes, thanks anon, + I want use VM for net + cloud/destop server sharing in future, to not bother my head about windows security, I'm not a noob about this but...I'm kinda tired of all these threats
You might just be better off installing it on your hardware if you want to use it, and boot into Windows for whatever the LOT you are using Windows for. And then dual boot into Linux for when you want to have a more focused mind for office work.
>>
>>62442740

I had problems with win10 and linux and I don't want to bother + this is much faster, fucking uefi or other bullshit, I miss windows 7 times but I want use newer system just like I would use newer linux kernels

>>62442725

will try! THANK YOU!
>>
>>62442725

btw. this duo is from 2013 kek
>>
>>62442826
then it was a very low end computer back then.
my laptop is from 2012 and it still runs fine.
>>
How much ram are you giving it? Try enabling zram.
>>
File: Gwc04IS.gif (2MB, 350x233px) Image search: [Google]
Gwc04IS.gif
2MB, 350x233px
>>62442424

>Not using Xfce or LXDE for performance.

HOW NEW R U?
>>
>>62442424
dual boot
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.