[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wine for Xbox

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: linux-wine-382x255.jpg (24KB, 382x255px) Image search: [Google]
linux-wine-382x255.jpg
24KB, 382x255px
>Wine just translates Windows API calls into their *nix counterparts
>Xbox is heavily based off of Windows and also uses DirectX as its video backend
Does this mean it would be theoretically possible to make a Wine fork that could run Xbox/360 games on Linux?
Imagine the eternal buttblasting that Winfags would have if Linux got Xbox games before them
>>
The hard part isn't translating graphics api calls. Its hardware and software emulation.

Apart of the emulatiom process is taking calls from yoir emulated graphics device and piping them into the host, this already exists, Xenia emulator. It works on both Linux and windows using opengl/ vulkan.
>>
>>62436114
If the Xbox is x86 arch then what part of the hardware would you have to be emulating?
>>
>>62436895
The hardware, emulation isn't just converting instruction sets, you also have to replicate the functional hardware of the device.

Someone has to write emulated hardware to act like the xboxs audio, video, cddrive, network, etc hardware.

Its a massive task, translating the instruction set is arguably the easy part.
>>
>>62437053
But would it not be possible to translate the syscalls of the xbox software into a linux counterpart rather than emulating the entire hardware?
Forgive me, my knowledge of lower level hardware emulation is a bit sparse
>>
>>62437295
if you're just emulating hello world, a naive approach like that would work well, but game consoles can be pretty picky about stuff.

consider that you can remove the original pentium 3 out of an xbox and put a higher clocked one in there instead. Then consider that doing so will break some games, from just a clock speed change. then consider how much different a pentium 3 is from any modern cpu, and I bet that most games would start breaking.

The hard part about emulation is emulating every quirk, whether that be a cpu quirk or a cd drive quirk, its all the same to the end user if it ends in the game crashing.
>>
no and stealing from hardworking microsoft employees is disgusting and immoral
>>
>>62438019
fuck off Microsoft
>>
>>62437053
https://wiki.ixit.cz/d3d9
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.