[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hi guys, i need a particular advice, not asking for tech support

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 51btkByFqSL._SL1001_.jpg (62KB, 1001x1001px) Image search: [Google]
51btkByFqSL._SL1001_.jpg
62KB, 1001x1001px
hi guys, i need a particular advice, not asking for tech support this could be interesting

bought pic related from amazon, around 10€, usb3 hub, works well. but they didn't include a 5v power adapter and used an obscure small port for it so basically you need to buy it from them and it costs another 10€.

i'd like to use multiple peripherals on a hub but i'm not going to pay for this scam

opened it, ripped the power port and soldered an old 5V nokia charger on the pins. the problem is: there are 3 pins for the power port and i don't think one is for ground, i guessed the polarity and got it right (there's a led that lights up and there's power coming out of the ports, it powers a led lamp), but once connected to the computer the hub is recognized only if the new 5V adapter is disconnected.

so i guessed "maybe it's in overvoltage if both cables are connected" and i desoldered the positive from the usb cable but at that point (of course) there was power coming from the adapter but no connection with the pc.

anyone wants to guess what's the problem? right now i resoldered the positive and the hub is working flawless, i'm just not using the power adapter.
>>
Does it actually take a 5v adapter? Maybe there's a switching ps inside and it needs more on the input.
>>
>>62424169
On the outside there's written "5V DC", I don't know what the the third pin could be
>>
Is there still power coming out of the ports when you plug it in usb?
>>
>>62424222
Need to check, give me a minute
>>
>soldered an old 5V nokia charger
not powerful enough. adapter needs to put out at least 1amp.
>>
>>62424303
It is a 900mA adapter, combined with another amp from the PC I should be enough. Anyway, tried and yes, with both PC and adapter connected there's power and the USB lamp works, HDD controller powers up but given there's no data connection the disk doesn't spin.

Update: the WiFi adapter I have works but there's not enough power for the 2.5" disk to spin up through usb so there's the classic tick. On another port it works. I think it used to work before the surgery, probably the adapter is on the same circuit and now it is absorbing something
>>
>>62424132
>an old nokia charger
Way to provide even less power than a stock USB3 port idiot.
How many mA is that nokia charger? 240mA @ 4.7v?
>>
>>62424400
Again, it's around 1 amp, and it should work in parallel with the other source
>>
File: 1505351030602.jpg (4KB, 260x149px) Image search: [Google]
1505351030602.jpg
4KB, 260x149px
>>62424354
>obscure small port
thats rather common

> combined with another amp from the PC
that 3rd pin on the connector is to cutoff the 5v coming from the pc when the plug is stuck into the jack. probably causing the pc port to shutoff.
>>
>>62424354
>there's not enough power for the 2.5" disk to spin up through usb so there's the classic tick
Is that what causes the tick? Been hearing it from my laptop regularly (I put an extra 1tb drive in it).
>>
>>62424132
I've dabbled with this before. The port is most likely the commonly used 3.5mm x 1.35mm barrel jack. You can find usb to 3.5mm barrel jack adapters from china and use your own usb power adapter for this.
>>
>>62424485
That's just the heads moving, in this cause it keeps ticking cause there's not enough power to spin up the disk so its basically a bootloop
>>62424481
They could've included something bigger, the 5v plug is basically standard so what should I do. Do a bridge from the positive to the third pin?
>>62424537
Too late destroyed the port lol
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.