[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PC hardware price inflation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 4
Thread images: 1

File: 1493920891666.png (871KB, 801x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1493920891666.png
871KB, 801x1500px
Will PC hardware ever get down in price again? Will there be an end to over-inflated SSD, RAM, GPU etc. prices?

My pc that I bought two years ago, is more expensive now if I bought the components again. If you told me that would happen three years ago, I would think you would be trolling.
It's like some strange alternate reality.
>>
why would they lower the prices if idiots still buy them at the current high prices? it's free money basically
>>
Well DRAM and Flash both have all the major chipmakers in the same situation - having to pay off all the billions of dollars of fabs they've built and so more inclined to want to boost their margins than fight for market share. They're also redirecting more of their production towards mobile, since that's where more of the volume and growth is now.

GPUs, well, the second crypto crazy happened, you know that. AMD cards are in enormous demand for it. Nvidia cards are getting hit with price increases on GDDR memory, in addition to some people using them for mining anyway. And again, both sides are pretty okay with this state of affairs. AMD has been bleeding red ink for a decade, they're happy to rake in as much as they can. Nvidia is inclined to let them, since they still have a lot of the market and AMD's supply shortages mean they aren't really threatening to do them major damage.

And more broadly the PC market isn't hot shit anymore. Back in the 90s when everyone and their dog was buying a new PC every few years the steady flow of money from that vast market was producing huge economies of scale, and stuff was advancing so fast that the last-gen stuff got cheap quickly. Now Moore's Law is dead and buried and the market is stagnant at best.
>>
>>62423864
Good pasta. Saved.>>62423864
Thread posts: 4
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.