[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Replacing the OS on a Car's Internal Computer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Tulips.jpg (606KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Tulips.jpg
606KB, 1024x768px
Hey /g/, stupid but interesting concept, what would happen if you were to take a something like a modern toyata camary, and develop your own software for the car's internal computer, i know it would be tedious and pointless, but there would it even be possible? can i install Gentoo
>>
>>62406921
bump, with a further question i suppose. Are the current OS's used in cars based off the linux kernel?
>>
I know there are some hacker groups that work on things like that. Search the Web for them.
>>
You'd need to develop a real-time microkernel for a resource-constrained environment, and be ready to interface with decentralized controllers, sensors and servos which will communicate to you in encrypted form and with data that only the manufactured knows the meaning of.

There's some material out there about hacking the CAN bus if you're still interested and not put off.
>>
>>62406921
Well, the Camry ships with automotive linux (.org) for their infotainment system, a new(ish) project which includes some big names, so yes.
If we're talking about what drives the car itself, then that are mostly mc's and custom solutions afaik, and I doubt you'll find even an OS, but I'm sure you can find info from someone who is taking cars apart and hacking around.
>>
>>62407640
sounds neat, got any links?
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.