[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MaXX Interactive Desktop

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: MaXX.png (95KB, 1275x1018px) Image search: [Google]
MaXX.png
95KB, 1275x1018px
What does /g/ think of the MaXX Interactive Desktop?

For those who don't know there was a company that was big in the 90s called Silicon Graphics Inc. that made specialized MIPS workstation hardware that cost anywhere from $50,000 to over $100,000. These days you can get their desktop and server hardware for a couple hundred bucks on ebay because of how obscure and old it is and as far I know you can't virtualize the hardware or OS. SGI had their own special OS tied to the hardware called IRIX which focused heavily on using a graphical environment called the IRIX Interactive Desktop, or IID. MaXX Interactive is a port of IID to GNU/Linux. It only works on 64-bit x86 machines running a Fedora or Debian based OS. I've tested it on Fedora 25 and it works well. It costs nothing and there's an easy installer script for it. The website also says that an update is coming on the 15th.

http://www.maxxinteractive.com/site/

If you're into retro desktop environments I highly recommend trying this out.
>>
You can install FSV 3D file explorer for a more authentic IRIX experience.

http://fsv.sourceforge.net/
>>
>>62378159
Looks neat
>>
Does it come with the nice IRIX icons?
>>
First CDE, now this... I wonder what's behind the resurgence of classic Unix environments.
>>
>>62378478
WindowMaker existed forever and is perfect.
CDE and IID are redundant in the face of OpenSTEP.
>>
>>62378478
nostalgia
>>
>>62378469
Yes.

>>62378478
>I wonder what's behind the resurgence of classic Unix environments
They're simple and they have more character and depth than the sterile flat garbage we have now.

>>62378510
I disagree. I think that the 3D style with realistic icons just looks better and blends with everything else in out lives, making the transition from the physical to the virtual much smoother.
>>
File: maxx-desktop-1.png (75KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
maxx-desktop-1.png
75KB, 1280x1024px
Bumping with screenshots.
>>
>>62378706
I know this! It's UNIX!
>>
File: 2017-09-12-112826_738x247_scrot.png (40KB, 738x247px) Image search: [Google]
2017-09-12-112826_738x247_scrot.png
40KB, 738x247px
>>62378519
nice
>>
>only on debian and fedora

ree
>>
>>62378706
What's fsv?

Is the window manager stable?

Looks cozy!
>>
>>62379440
read the thread?????
>>
http://www.maxxinteractive.com/site/?page_id=46
>3. What license is the MaXX Desktop released under?
>MaXX is a mix of proprietary, free ware and open source licenses such as the BSD license, GPL, LGPL, MIT and the Open Motif licenses.
>4. Proprietary?
>Yes, because of the license agreement with SGI, Inc and the personal preferences of the project. However, MaXX Desktop Community Edition is free as a beer. However, there is a commercial version with support available through special request channel. This version provides a complete desktop experience, optimizations for production grade applications, a special Linux kernel optimizationa for maximum performance and responsiveness, OpenCL/CUDA for GPU computing and a comprehensive system monitoring and management system.

OP is a paid shill shilling for a proprietary commercial product.
>>
>>62379422
And steam is only for ubuntu, since when has that mattered?
>>
>>62379545
It matters to me because I can boot into Windows to play Steam games and I don't really want to install a debian partition just to try a DE.

>>62379515
Stop being a retarded moron idiot. Not every post about an existing product or service is a """"""paid shill"""""""
>>
>>62379568
I was more referring to the fact this it is likely to just work on other distros anyway unless it depends on some unholy fedora/ubuntu feature.

I'm gonna try install it on Arch.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-09-12_19-37-39.png (314KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-09-12_19-37-39.png
314KB, 1440x900px
>>62378159
>2017
>not using a kde 3 fork
>>
I'd be interested in trying this but my normal pc usage, aka browsing and irc and etc., probably wouldn't mesh well with the aesthetic and wouldn't look that different from any other DE.

Yeah the OP photo and the screenshots on the home page look nice, but I'm not going to have 7 file system and setting windows open all the time.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.