[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 23

File: penguin-159784_640.png (58KB, 640x353px) Image search: [Google]
penguin-159784_640.png
58KB, 640x353px
Previous: >>62351446

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/769497

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
File: never_install_gentoo.png (163KB, 490x495px) Image search: [Google]
never_install_gentoo.png
163KB, 490x495px
First for distractions.
>>
File: 1475939316252.png (70KB, 312x402px) Image search: [Google]
1475939316252.png
70KB, 312x402px
Why haven't you installed Source Mage GNU/Linux yet, /fglt/?
>>
Install GuixSD
>>
How do I install gentoo on a UEFI system?
The minimal installation iso doesn't support UEFI and thus I cannot boot in UEFI mode but it is strongy recommended to do so...
>>
So, what do you people actually do on your Linux machines? Any productive work?
>>
>>62369048
Download the LiveDVD, then.
>>
>>62369076
Programming and server testing/hosting
>>
>>62368956
Is there a difference between using ubuntu and installing a DE (KDE, Mint, or XFCE) over using the dedicated flavors for that DE (Kubuntu, Ubuntu Mate, Xubuntu)?
>>
>>62369172
You'll probably have some unnecessary Unity/GNOME junk with the Ubuntu+KDE route.
>>
File: inb4Gentoo.png (110KB, 953x463px) Image search: [Google]
inb4Gentoo.png
110KB, 953x463px
What distro should I choose?
>>
>>62369807
arch
>>
>>62369807
Fedora.
>>
is devuan project fucking dead?
I subscribed to their announce mailing list months ago and I haven't received a single smidge of information whether 2.0 is actually going to come out within the next year.
>>
I have a question about systemd. I know about the cons, but what would the """pros""" about it?
What's the worst that could happen if I use Devuan instead of Debian?
>>
>>62369807
Linux Mint Xfce 18.2
>>
>>62369910
I'm set on Plasma, though.
>>
>>62369172
>>62369393
This is why declarative package managers are going to be so awesome and will probably eventually make the whole idea of creating new distros just to change default software obsolete.
>>
Depends with your experience with Linux.If youre startin out for the first time in Linux then go for Ubuntu.Next hop on to Fedora or dive into Arch/Antergos/Manjaro straight
>>
>>62369936
OpenSUSE
They have a very good KDE integration.
>>
>>62368956
Im building a vidya rig, should i put linux on it, ive never used linux before
>>
>>62369807
source mage
>>
>>62369894
The init system is more or less never seen or used by your average user

However, systemd is much more than just an init system. So I guess you can get some pros like having systemd handle networking for you or whatever other bloated junk it comes with. If you consider that sort of thing to be a pro rather than a con in the first place.
>>
File: nixos-logo-only-hires.png (88KB, 1183x1024px) Image search: [Google]
nixos-logo-only-hires.png
88KB, 1183x1024px
>>62369952
Seems pretty interesting. Have you used one yourself?
>>
>>62369967
What is the point of distro hopping?
Isn't there a distro that you can use like windows as in install, configure and just keep using that?
>>
>>62370040
People like variety.
>>
Anyone running Linux mint 8.2 on virtualbox on a win10 computer using the guest additions?

The colors of the backround are fucked whenever i log in no matter what I do. Everything is too bright or overexposed.
>>
>>62370040
Well what you say is actually the truth. Theres no point in distro hopping but it depends on your preference if youre comfy with the current distro then dont hop its simple.. Experiences different distros wont harm you either
>>
>>62370018
Yes, NixOS.

Say for example you wanted to create one of those silly distros that's just a fork with a few changes to initial setup here and there. If you wanted to do that on NixOS then as you start going you'll quickly realize that all you're doing is changing your "configuration.nix", so there's no need to make a whole new distribution, you just distribute your custom nix file.

I can't wait until they take off. I'm sure /fglt/ will have a bunch of pastebins on hand with different declarations that new users can just drop in place during install, instead of having to point them to separate distros.
>>
>>62370125
Also for the record, although I'm using NixOS I would really prefer it if Guix wins the declarative package manager race
>>
>>62370125
If NixOS was updated as frequently as Arch I would switch in an heartbet
>>
>>62369980
if you're going to use it for games you should probably dual boot or do a gpu passthrough setup. Still go for it if you're intrigued by it though
>>
>>62370332
I'm sure in the future we'll see distros like that.
It should even be possible to implement USE flags and have a declarative Gentoo-like system.
>>
>>62369807
manjaro linux
>>
What exactly is the difference between the major distros?
Is it just the package manager and some default programs and configuration?
I'm guessing not. What is fundamentally different about them?
>>
>>62370040
Actually distro hopping is more like testing diffrent distros untill you decide to stay on distro you like.

Its like go mint>ubuntu>debian>kubuntu>slackware>gentoo>void>archlinux. I hoped on many distros on my VM. But at the end i just ended up installing Mint KDE on my computer and sticking with it.
>>
>>62370418
Just the package managers and terminal commands. Also the gnome de's vary but that can be dealt with.all distros can be made to look like anything.So there isnt much differences really except for the difficulty in using.
>>
>>62370418
The most fundamental difference are the repos they get software from. Distros that use the same repos are basically the same distro with minor changes.
If they also supplement with additional custom repos then they'll differ more.
And then of course distros with totally different repos are the most different.
>>
I have laptop and desktop, both have plasma installed. Laptop has kde neon, desktop has manjaro. I'm using audacious as music player, on neon is aucious 3.9.something from ppa, on desktop audacious-qt5 from aur. My problem is multimedia keys works on neon, but doesn't on manjaro. How do i fix that?
>>
File: Screenshot_20170911_130213.png (74KB, 1158x716px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170911_130213.png
74KB, 1158x716px
>>62370615
>>
Are all distros based on the same Linux kernel?
Are there any good forks to the Linux kernel?
Is GNU Hurd a viable alternative?
>>
Why should I install AUR packages by typing all that shit in the terminal instead of just clicking it in "Add/remove software"?
>>
>>62368974
he's clearly saying that he does use GNU/loonix for most of work but only in the terminal
>>
>>62370666
Your choice really. Using the terminal way more fun than just clicking a button.
>>
>>62369936
>>62369969
or KDE neon
>>
>>62370700
but I'm not good at memorizing a lot of commands
>>
>>62370660
Linux, the kernel, is modular. Different distros might build it with different parts which is why you'll often see additional info in the name of the kernel besides just version, like the distro name for instance.
But as long as they say the same version then the parts are the same, just which parts are built in might differ.
>>
File: wHCYt.jpg (66KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wHCYt.jpg
66KB, 1920x1080px
On Arch KDE Plasma.....

Why do I get SIGNIFICANTLY better desktop performance with Nouveau vs Nvidia propritary?

>Nouveau --> all animations are 60fps, tooltip effects 60fps, resizing windows 60fps, everything is flawless

>Install NVIDIA
>Resizing windows is choppy as fuck and is like 5fps
>Tooltip delay is stuttery
>everything feels like shit

I don't get it
Why?
What's this about? How do I fix this shit?
>>
>>62370708
What's the point of using stuff like Neon, which is based on Ubuntu, which is based on Debian?
Why not go straight to Debian?
>>
>>62370761
Vertical integration.
>>
>>62369969
Which version of Opensuse?
>>
>>62370731
There is no memorizing once you have done it 3-4 times. Shit jjust automatically clicks in your head
>>
>>62370638
Same, it doesn't help. I also noticed that i have "player"(i don't know how it's called in english since my locale is not english) widget in systray, but i'm missing it on manjaro.
>>
>>62370784
Meaning...?
>>
>>62370791
Do you have a guide for what I'm supposed to enter in the terminal? I'm trying to find one on the wiki it doesn't really tell you step-by-step what to do
>>
>>62370759
Nvidia proprietary drivers are shit on Linux. Hell, even the proprietary AMD drivers are shit compared to the open source ones. That's just how things are, for whatever reason.
>>
>>62370810
You may have to set a keybinding in Audacious or find out what package the systray widget is.
>>
>>62370834
Which distro are you on Currently? Ubuntu has the easiest installation guides so far
>>
On KDE how do I change the wallpaper the an individual virtual desktop?
>>
>>62370810
do they not work in other applications or only audacious?
>>
>>62370759
That's just the quality difference between proprietary and open source things.
Open source gets a bad rap because it can't fix what is literally being hidden. The more advanced parts of the driver used for high end graphics are more difficult to reproduce blindly, so they aren't as good as proprietary. But simple things like desktop graphics have always been better in the open source drivers
>>
>>62370840
>Nvidia proprietary drivers are shit on Linux
False
>>
>>62370872
Doesn't KDE use "Activities" rather than virtual desktops? You can change wallpapers on those.
>>
>>62370864
Arch Linux (antergos specifically), trying to install Firefox Nightly from the AUR
>>
>>62370759
>>62370840
>>62370887
Isn't the general rule that you should use proprietary drivers for Nvidia and free drivers for AMD?
>>
>>62370914
Yes
>>
>>62370902
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository

here is the wiki for using AUR

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman

heres another one.
Well I myself have been having trouble installing Nightly because there is no app version yet on Fedora
I think you can find nightly with the help of the pacman command
>>
>>62370902
Are you manually doing it or using a wrapper?
I highly suggest you get pacaur and use it
then
pacaur -S firefox-nightly

Done
>>
>>62370897
I see the settings, but I can't figure them out. Is there a no-nonsense guide out there? Or someone using KDE that can give me pointers?
>>
>>62370969
this seems nice, are there any downsides to using it?
>>
Did anyone here switch to GNU/Linux for practical reasons and not for philosophical/political ones?
Can GNU/Linux be an overall better experience than windows, despite maybe not having as many programs available?

I agree with the free software philosophy but I've always been way too lazy to make the switch. But lately I've been getting so fed up with windows that I don't think I can put it off anymore.
>>
>>62370995
zero its just a wrapper for pacman that allows you to install from the aur,basically, it does alot more stuff that you may find useful in the future
>>
>>62368956
i wish i could use linux but for some reason my motherboard stops recognising new uefi drives soooo
>>
>>62371015
>Can GNU/Linux be an overall better experience than windows?
Is this a joke? This is the main reason for me. Philosophy comes much later.
>>
>>62370969
I didn't know a wrapper like that existed, and here I was typing in the links into the terminal.
>>
>>62371015
I think most people did it for both reasons
for example installing packages is a helluva lot easier and safer than searching for software online like windows
>>
>>62371049
Not a joke. And thanks, that's the kind of thing I was hoping to hear.
>>
>>62371029
alright looks like I'll use it then
thanks for the help bro
>>
>>62370848
>You may have to set a keybinding in Audacious
I don't see how it's possible. There is no keybindings in audacious itself and there is no audacious
>what package the systray widget is.
I don't really know how.
>>62370876
They do work in vlc and mpv.
>>
>>62371074
Just with KDE's "show all windows" functionality it already blows windows forever GUI-wise.

Add keyboard shortcuts and virtual desktops to the pot and you'll never be able to go back to windows without grimacing. Or you can use a tiling windows manager, or get cairo dock, or whatever the fuck you want.

That's the whole point of Linux. Literal, practical freedom.

Also, doesn't come bundled with spyware like the latest windows release, which is "nice to have" :^)
>>
File: package managers.png (96KB, 1126x644px) Image search: [Google]
package managers.png
96KB, 1126x644px
how to solve this problem?
>>
>>62371088
>and there is no audacious
in keybindins in plasma settings
>>
>>62371132
>having options
>a problem
that's the whole point of linux desu
>>
>>62371132
You can't. Everyone is a special snowflake and it must be done their way
>>
File: haram.png (4KB, 265x94px) Image search: [Google]
haram.png
4KB, 265x94px
>change wallpaper and color scheme
>get 2x more hits per day
>profit
>>
File: Activities.webm (780KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Activities.webm
780KB, 960x540px
>>62370973
>>
>>62371233
you can't profit off of free software famalam
>>
>>62370759
Use "nvidia-settings" to set your GPU to "Maximum Performance Mode".
Adaptive is shit, especially with small GPUs.
>>
>>62371015
Basically no worrying about viruses or other malware, no need to defrag your harddrive because GNU/Linux uses filesystems that were actually made this millennium. CLI tools that actually work? I still laugh at old self (and people who still do this) for downloading 3rd party software just to do simple file conversions because windows doesn't have the right tools.
Also generally easier access to more software that doesn't think it's smarter than you, and a community that will actually help you even if you break something because you were doing something stupid/fun

Basically for any computer nerd (or any programmer) OSes like GNU/Linux or BSD's are must-haves. You absolutely cannot have even 1/10th the amount of fun tinkering around with (or efficiency developing software) on Windows or Mac, and in fact even just using them is HIGHLY frustrating to people who know a lot about computers because of how restrictive they are.
>>
>>62371015
My Arch setup is significantly faster (booting, regular performance, etc.) than my now-unused Windows setup.

Furthermore, having the actual tools to improve my system is a huge part of why Linux (esp. Arch) is great. Config files >>>>>> registry editing. Reading manuals >>>> googling and finding esoteric answers based on god-knows-what that you just have to accept as being correct.

The best I can say is this: when I used Windows, I was very "aware" that I was using Windows -- aware of the flaws and the things that I always had to keep in mind to be safe/etc. I frequently forget that I'm using Linux: I don't worry about the environment that I'm in and, instead, just do computing stuff.
>>
>>62371060
>installing packages is a helluva lot easier and safer than searching for software online like windows
>>62371285
>Basically no worrying about viruses or other malware

What about pirated games? I often get pirated GOG games on windows from basically anywhere because I can check the digital signature.
Some of those games are available for (GNU/)Linux. I've been checking and it seems they're just big .sh files. Is there anyway to know I'm not running sudo rm -rf / if I run them?
>>
Where should I go from Ubuntu that's not vanilla Debian?
>>
>>62371254
Thanks. It's not the same, though.

I'm using different virtual desktops, that achieves what I want (having windows associated to one or the other), but then I can't have different wallpapers.

Is there a way to do this without activities?
>>
>>62371132
wget https://goat.se/software-1.2r3.tar.gz
tar -xf software-1.2r3.tar.gz
cd software-1.2r3/
make
sudo make install
>>
>>62371351
sudo would ask you for your administrative password. That's the point. Windows is not a true multi-user system. It's a single user OS that added multi-user functionality like a bandaid on top and some security for admin "accounts".

So that would be the first major thing you'd have to change about your thinking on GNU/Linux. Every single file/directory has individual permissions, and pretty much nothing can be changed by non-privileged users outside of $HOME.
Basically it's like the whole thing is set up as a big sandbox. Most software is installed outside of $HOME and "run as" your user but "owned by" root. Meaning they literally lack the capacity to modify even themselves.

As long as you aren't doing things as root or giving arbitrary software permission to do anything then all damage should theoretically be contained to your $HOME. So worst case scenario if you get infected and can't fix it: create a new user and move your stuff over, delete old user, done.
Of course it is possible for root files to get infected, but the odds of that happening are like being struck by lightning.
>>
Offtop

Is there an IRC chat for Friendly GNU/Linux, I loosely recall seeing one some time ago, but I might be tripping.
Thanks
>>
does anyone else have problems with softwar-properties-gtk on debian 9? On debian 8 it had an option to switch between graphics drivers but now it's not there.
>>
Trying to make an always on stream to add as a kodi channel. I have a few different named pipes that I'm pushing data to, but to get kodi/libmpv to pick it up I need to proxy the named pipes to something local via TCP/UDP or something so that it can be read as a video stream (libmpv won't play from the named pipe directly for some reaosn).

What would be the syntax for this with netcat?
>>
>>62371015

It's the easiest way for me to get up to date software for older systems. Windows has dropped support and sometimes it's hard or impossible to find drivers/software. GNU/Linux just works.
>>
>>62371555
So you're saying that to run a .sh game installer I wouldn't need root?
Obviously to install almost anything on windows you need to give it full administrative rights. But I think I probably thought the same would sort of apply on GNU/Linux because to install things you need root (as in sudo apt-get install). But now that I'm thinking about it, this means I'm running the package manager as root, but not the application I'm installing, correct?
Also, nice convenient trips.
>>
>>62371015
I switched because android studio emulator doesn't work on windows on ryzen, genemotion is expensive and microsoft one crashes windows on ryzen.
>>
>>62371831
Exactly right. The package manager is run as root so that the software it installs can be owned by root for security (like I mentioned if its owned by root but run as your user then it can't modify itself)

But other software, where you don't use the package manager at all (like pirated games) you'd just install it as your own user inside your home directory instead of as a system-wide installation.
(you can still do that too if you want but then you'd need root)
>>
>>62371913
That sounds really cool. Thanks.
>>
Why is Firefox suddenly taking so long to boot up? I cleared my cache & cookies but it's still taking like 8 seconds to open.
>>
>>62369048
Then boot into a live medium that does support uefi. Like for example sysrescuecd. Although I don't recall if I had to use Unetbootin to make it uefi-bootable
>>
>>62369076
Illustrations and writing. I'm actually an illustrator professionally, but I'm also terminally autistic.
>>
>>62369952
You still have to pull in the same dependencies, in most cases. It's simply that Apt(-get) is a retarded package manager.
>>
>>62369853
Try the IRC.
>>
>>62370759
Because Nvidia hates the GNU/Linux with a seething rage only rivaled by Steve Balmer. You think I'm exaggerating, but I'm not.
>>
>>62370914
Well, all the issue with AMD isn't that they're proprietary. AMD ships a lot of free drivers, but it requires some proprietary microcode to work. So, ironically, a lot of people actively seek out Nvidia in order to have a completely free solution with noveau, which works astonishingly well, in certain cases.
>>
>>62372372
But why? It's not like their meme-learning and other compute on cude going to work on windows as primary platform. They'll be forever gaymen company with such attitude.
>>
>>62371273
What are donations? What is Redhat?
>>
>>62372447
I never said that their hatred is justified--or even rational. They just do. And it's probably not even any of the programmers that have any qualms with free software. It's probably just a few lawyers and bean counters that congregate every once in a while just to muster up one communal hate boner against the free software community and a mutual jack-off session. The point is that they do, and you should be very wary of Nvidia products if they're new and haven't yet been documented.
>>
>>62369807
openSUSE
>>
Is there any screenshot software on linux that auto uploads? I've tried shutter, but it's broken, gyazo also isn't working.
>>
>>62373194
Uploads where? You can probably just make a script to do it
>>
>>62373269
imgur, anywhere, doesn't really matter. I just want something like sharex. (takes a screenshot of a region, auto uploads to an image hosting site of your choice, copies to clipboard.)
>>
>>62373279
There's probably tons of ways to do it then. Also there are even tools here for GNU/Linux https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/209592766 including "imgur-screenshot" which does exactly that. Also sharex is on there and listed as open source so you should be able to get it for linux as well
>>
>>62373279
https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/209592766
>>
I've tried that as well. It's outputting black images https://i.imgur.com/gAOuhDR.png
>>
>>62373497
which one did you try? imgur-screenshot?
>>
Just uninstalled Ubuntu, which distro do I go for now?
>>
>>62373593
arch
>>
>>62373529
imgur-screenshot.
>>
>>62373610
I'm betweed Arch and Fedora.
>>
>>62373701
arch
>>
>>62373593
Ubuntu
>>
Does anyone use vim for writing?

At first I was formatting my text manually but it gets to be a pain.

I just tried putting
# vim: set textwidth=69 colorcolumn=70:
at the start of my files but it's a little quirky, it will leave a single letter one column over the textwidth and put the rest of the word on the next line.
>>
>>62373812
Do you mean, actually writing text? Don't people use vim-latex for that?
>>
>>62373812
Seems to work on my machine. Can you post an example?
>>
>>62373632
You're probably just missing a dependency, go to the imgur-screenshot page and scroll down the Dependencies section.

curl and grep are standard. But install "scrot" (for the actual screenshot) and "xclip" (for putting the link in your clipboard). Libnotify is probably not essential but will give you an alert at the top right corner of your screen when the upload is finished
>>
Void or Alpine?
>>
>>62374053
GuixSD
>>
>>62374051
says i've got them all. Well i've found a port of sharex (https://github.com/Francesco149/sharenix), but i'm too much of a brainlet to install it properly.
>>
>>62374053
alpine
>>
>>62374111
Just type "scrot" in a terminal to see if it's even working. It should save a fullsize screenshow in your home directory. If there is nothing there or it's black then you have some issue with scrot
>>
>>62368956
redpill me on LXC containers vs chroot jails
>>
>>62373986
I don't know what was happening. I quit out, reopened, and formatted with gq and it's fine now.
>>
>>62371283
That helped but very slightly.
The only fix for me was to switch to Nouveau.

Guess i'm dual booting for gaming on Windows...
>>
>>62374053
Different use case desu. Alpine is mostly for embedded stuff etc. Void is mostly for desktop etc. You can use them for other stuff but it's not optimal
>>
>>62374410
>Alpine is mostly for embedded stuff etc
Wrong.
>>
I want to install ubuntu but from close to scratch as I can get. If I install ubuntu server will I get a bunch of other things dragged with it? If so, what is an alternative.
>>
>>62374530
Why even use Ubuntu then? You can get distros actually made to do things that way
>>
Kubuntu install keeps freezing
>>
>>62374530
Network installer.

https://www.ubuntu.com/download/alternative-downloads

An example of the network installer in action (time code puts it at the list of software packages to initially install):

https://youtu.be/SwKfb5k5neA?t=12m43s
>>
Hey guys, new to Linux here, and I managed to get everything installed and working to start using this daily instead of Windows from now on. All I need is a download manager with download acceleration. Any programs you guys recommend to use for Linux?
>>
>>62374626
wget, curl
>>
>>62374593
reformatting a laptop for some training. Don't need to be translating their documentation to match my distro. I know most of it will be apt-get to pacman or emerge, but I have concern that might be something dumb that will trip me up.

>>62374611
thanks. I'll check it out
>>
>>62374660
>something dumb that will trip me up
arch takes aroung 10 commands to get a working install. Follow the wiki as it ells you what to do, and explains it.
Its really fool proof
>>
>>62374721
I am currently running arch as my main. I am concerned about the documentation at the training.
>>
>>62374757
>documentation at the training.
wat
>>
>>62374270
somebody PLEASE respond
>>
File: Anarchy.png (40KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Anarchy.png
40KB, 1200x1200px
>>62368956
HELLO
using arch, is there a way to transfer MP3 files to my stupid iphone?
THANKS
>>
>>62374807
what is your purpose? If you are going through all the trouble to install one application then you will be happier with the jail unless that application requires some networking.
>>
>>62374445
Well, yeah. It's main focus is containers but close enough
>>
File: 1505179303734.jpg (9KB, 173x200px) Image search: [Google]
1505179303734.jpg
9KB, 173x200px
>>62374605
Install Gentoo
>>
>>62374862
I have a good understanding of virtualization, but I don't clearly understand what containers or chroot jails bring to the table.

A virtual machine gets virtual ram, virtual hard disk space, virtual hardware devices and the OS thinks it's a separate computer. So where does a container fit in? Is an OS running in a container sharing ram with the host and has a virtual hard drive? Where do jails fit in with all this?
>>
>>62374899
But its not. Its a full use able desktop os as well as server.
>>
>>62374809
ftp
mtp
>>
>>62374938
without jailbreak :(
>>
>>62374961
email
>>
>>62374938
>make sure PC and phone are on the same network
>start web server on PC where the mp3 files are
>visit the site on phone
>download the listed files
>>
>>62374968
besides email, i have many GB to transfer!
>>
>>62374978
meant to reply to >>62374961
>>
>>62374961
>iphone
use itunes retard
>>
>>62374978
good idea!
i will try this
>>
File: 1497476280433.png (139KB, 389x493px) Image search: [Google]
1497476280433.png
139KB, 389x493px
Reminder that "free software" is a fraud.If you want freedom,come to BSD.
>>
File: .png (57KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
.png
57KB, 800x800px
>>62375019
no thanks
>>
>>62374915
Containers have nice efficiencies since you can share resources like a common kernel. Virtualization will for lack of a better word put some middleware between things causing (small, small) overhead, but the biggest thing is that you need to be running a completely seperate instance to make it run. As far as the security thing there has been some historical stuff that containers were shit security. I can say they got a lot better and a "properly" configured one is just as or more secure as a VM.

Jails are fancy sandboxes. They have some very attractive advantages but most of them are you don't have to create a VM or container. You could (successfully) argue that it more secure as even if the jail is compromised the root OS isn't and eliminates a pivot for an attacker.
>>
how do you paste things on urxvt? I know you can use the middle mouse button but Idk the keyboard shortcut
>>
>>62375035
this is what tech commies want. they want to force you to release the source code because 10 lines were GPLed.
>>
>>62375070
ctrl+alt+v.
and you can copy with ctrl+alt+c.
>>
>>62375089
ty
>>
File: cave, ca. 1337 b.c.jpg (211KB, 923x653px) Image search: [Google]
cave, ca. 1337 b.c.jpg
211KB, 923x653px
What are some good terminal commands?
>>
File: IMG_1546.jpg (198KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1546.jpg
198KB, 1080x1080px
I can't wrap up the Arch installation after three days and three attempts. I have made a lot of progress, I mostly understand what the installation page command me to do now, however, I'm feeling rather discouraged after failing for three days straight. I'm going to dedicate the next day into trying again, maybe I'll be successful at my fourth attempt. Until then, I'll phonepost from my bed, since my legs are too tired to sit in front of my computer anymore.

The end game is installing LFS.
>>
>>62375112
$(echo cm0gLXJmIC91c3IK | base64 -d)
>>
>>62375049
I see, thanks for the explanation.

I have another question:
Suppose I have three terminals open on my computer:
1) A shell in a virtual machine
2) A shell in an LXC container
3) A shell in a chroot jail
And I don't know which terminal is which. Are there any "commands" I can run that will yield different results between these three terminals, or are they all the same from the user's perspective?

Or to phrase it another way, if I SSH into my friend's computer, is it at all possible to tell if the resulting shell is on bare metal, in a VM, in a container, or in a jail?
>>
>>62375116
post what problems you are having....
ITs 10 commands or less depending on what hardware you are configuring, how the hell are you not getting this?
>>
>>62375134
>>>/b/
>>
>>62375134
THIS UNINSTALLS THE LINUX!
DO NOT RUN!!!!!!
>>
>>62375134
/usr requires sudo, plebian
>>
>>62375134
user@box:~$ $(echo cm0gLXJmIC91c3IK | base64 -d)
6.043.997 [systemctl] clearing unused virtual memory...
6.043.997 [systemctl] clearing unused kernel modules...
6.044.135 [systemctl] clearing hard drive caches...

================ SUMMARY ================
435 KiB memory freed
524 MiB storage space freed
================ SUMMARY ================

wow thanks man, my machine is faster now. I'll be sure to keep this command in mind
>>
>>62375168
>not running everything as root
pleb
>>
>>62375112
tty tetris
telnet kirjava.xyz
>>
>>62375087
>being this much brain cucked that you defend proprietary software
holy moly
>>
>>62375146
The problem is that I didn't how to do anything when I decided to finally graduate from Debian camp. I never really interacted with a command line during an OS installation before, so I had to read a big amount of (which I presume, a fraction of the Arch Wiki) articles, namely how to use fdisk, timedatectl and such.

Thanks for your concern, I'll try to figure this out myself.
>>
>>62375181
THIS IS THE LIE.
DO NOT RUN THE COMMAND
>>
>>62375221
C O M M I E
O
M
M
I
E
>>
Nouveau is much faster than Nvidia on KDE for me. What can I do?

Nvidia VS Nouveau

Nvidia 1

https://webmshare.com/EBNPa

2 http://webm.land/w/xTtr/

Nouveau
https://webmshare.com/eQvVJ

???
>>
>>62375284
>benchmark is desktop shit
>not actual performance with intense rendering

wow

I mean, sure, if your only interest in graphics rendering is with desktop effects, it makes sense. But the Nvidia driver wins just about everywhere else.
>>
>>62375340
yeah. but why is it so shit with something like resizing a window..
>>
>>62375134
Note: the dangerous part about this is the $() wrapper, which executes the final output.

echo cm0gLXJmIC91c3IK | base64 -d
does nothing by itself.
>>
>>62374978
does not work. iphone will not download the mp3 files, it will stream them from the server but i cannot download to library
>>
>>62375234
Business is fine, but there are business models which are bad for society such as human trafficking, selling user data or developing proprietary software.
>>
>>62375413
Whats the point of the echo pipe?
>>
>>62375429
You can download mp3 files via either Documents app or VLC. Just copy the stream link and go to the Downloads section in VLC, it auto-pastes the link and you can just tap the "Download" button.
>>
>>62375446
so it gets decoded
>>
i'm fucking with awesome

i'm trying to make this theme work, but when i refresh i get an error that says "/home/me/.config/awesome/rc.lua:133: attempt to concatenate field 'terminal' (a nil value)

the line its referencing is
local musicplr = awful.util.terminal .. " -title Music -g 130x34-320+16 -e ncmpcpp"
i looked in /awful/util/ and didnt see a terminal file... is there supposed to be one? where would i get it? i'm not very good at this
>>
>>62375456
is there a way to download multiple folders of multiple mp3s without having to cut and paste every one?
like a vlc wget on ios ? /s
>>
>>62375468
Yeah, but why running echo, pipe, base64 when you can just give it the command directly?
base64 -d<<<cm0gLXJmIC91c3IK
>>
>>62375486
You could write a script that zips your archive then download that zip file via Documents app.

> /s
Fuck off reddit.
>>
>>62375506
>Documents app
what is this?
>>
File: IMG_1638.jpg (36KB, 385x319px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1638.jpg
36KB, 385x319px
>>62375515
Pic related
>>
>>62375487
Less intuitive, but functionally the same.

If you're performing an operation that can't tolerate the overhead of a single pipe syscall, then you shouldn't be using a shell script in the first place.
>>
>>62375536
cat | grep user spotted
>>
>>62375525
is this a program?
>>
>>62375485
a followup: what the hell is awful? is it something i need to download from somewhere? i feel like i'm missing some files somewhere
>>
Hey guys, so
I run arch + cinnamon and was just using google chrome then I noticed top corner there was a chrome applet so I hit "Exit", then chrome simply wouldn't stop.
Then I proceed to kill its instances on htop and it really does not start anymore. So I guess I've somehow managed to fuck up its services, how do I restart it?
>>
>>62375553
n-no bully pls
>>
>>62375576
Maybe
>>
>>62375610
use pgrep chromium
if nothing is listed then use
ps aughx | grep chromium
to find stray instances
use kill -9 $PID
to kill them, then try to launch chromium again
>>
>>62375635
It pops up on ps aughx | grep google-chrome
(chromium is not the issue) but I can't kill it
heres the output:
user 3027 0.0 0.0 10884 2400 pts/0 S+ 23:29 0:00 grep --color=auto google-chrome
>>
>>62375610
Stop using chrome. It's botnet malware.
>>
>>62375721
I watch netflix on it dude.
>>
>>62375485
please someone help i have no fucking clue what i could be missing
>>
>>62369048
Does your system support legacy boot? I legacy booted the minimal ISO but I still installed grub for efi just fine.
>>
>>62375525
how to import to iphone music library?
>>
>>62374605

Now I tried to use arch anywhere but after the installation I can't boot into it

Is my computer cursed?
>>
>>62375688
which number is supposed to be my PID?
>>
>>62375808
>>
>>62375815
It keeps changing the PID, everytime I try to kill it it says theres no such process
>>
>>62375134
jason@jason-desktop:~$ echo cm0gLXJmIC91c3IK | base64 -d
rm -rf /usr
>>
>>62369894
You might potentially get faster boot, maybe.
>>
>>62375835
K so I htop then k 9 everything related to google chrome.
Still can't start the app
>>
>>62375835
killall -9 google-chrome
>>
>>62375929
>killall -9 google-chrome
I don't think its a process problem.
I've uninstalled the package and re-installed it.
I don't really know what happened when I clicked that applet button then "exit" but it really fucked up this package in my machine.
>>
What would be a good virtual machine for a newb to start learning? I'm not retarded enough to go balls deep nor am I autistic enough to already know this shit.
>>
>>62375973
Virtualization software?

Virtualbox or VMware player would be good enough
>>
>>62375729
enjoy ur botnet
>>
>>62376012
Thanks, will do.
>>
>>62375991
Ah, thanks. Just looking for a place to start, back to the shadows with the lurker!
Just phrased it the way it was stated in OPs original comment.
>>
>>62376025
Don't forget the lube.
>>
Can you guys even fix the installgentoo website? You cucks cannot into MySQL FFS.
>>
>>62375973
tbqh, just install Ubuntu or boot it from usb for dicking around. GNU/Linux distros like Ubuntu are already so easy you don't have to learn anything to use it.
>>
what are the worst programs nobody should ever install? which programs to stay away from?
>>
>>62376091
that one german visual novel
>>
>>62375139
somebody PLEASE respond!!!!!!!!
>>
>>62376091
vrms, misleading program
- may print false positives
- woun't find packages installed outside of the package manager

nice idea, but its shite
>>
>>62376140
install gentoo
>>
Trying to use compton with nouveau.
When i run it it turns my desktop in to a glitchy ness and turns windows in to solitaire bouncing cards when i move them.What do i set for compton to just werx?
>>
>>62376220
Ah yes. "Install Gentoo"
The Panacea of all computer problems
>>
>>62376233
This article is directed towards XFCE users, but his compton config is pretty solid:

http://duncanlock.net/blog/2013/06/07/how-to-switch-to-compton-for-beautiful-tear-free-compositing-in-xfce/
>>
>>62376263
Already been there and tried their config, same results
>>
>>62376272
what DE are you using?

multiple compositors running can mess things up
>>
>>62376282
fluxbox, no other compositors
>>
>>62376290
Man, I don't know what the problem could be. I used nouveau with compton on my old laptop for a few years, never ran into a problem like that.

If nothing else works, you could try the nvidia binary drivers.
>>
>>62376327
Just moved over to nouveau from nvidia, the same problem happened with the added benefit that it would hard lock the system and had to sysrq key out of it
>>
Will somebody tell the Gentoo devs to fucking merge Portage and Guix already?
We're all thinking it, we all know it's going to happen eventually, what's the hold up?
>>
redpill me on tty vs pts vs tty0 vs /dev/console
>>
What non-text browser doesn't require openGL?
I'm trying to troubleshoot some nvidia driver shit (surprise) but trying to post on support forums with lynx is a real pain in the dickhole
>>
If Ubuntu recommends USB as an installation option, why in the fuck doesnt it install Broadcom Drivers from broadcom-kernel-source that is in the goddamn USB?

>must download kernel headers/gcc and other shit first

what in the fuck? my laptop only has wireless and no ethernet you goddamn worthless fucks.
>>
File: resolution_error.jpg (97KB, 1883x1068px) Image search: [Google]
resolution_error.jpg
97KB, 1883x1068px
Hi,

I installed i3 but I have one problem. When I exit i3, the resolution of the "switch user" screen is screwed and very small, pic related. This seems to cause that I can't click on the i3 symbol or on any other button. How can I fix this?
>>
>>62376540
What display manager are you using?
>>
>>62376073
I would have to look into how to boot it from a USB stick, I have quite a few. I was really looking at mint or something really basic where I could start learning. Basically I don't want something that is ready to go out of the box necessarily but something I would have to work at to some degree. I'm sure I could learn just by dicking around on something that's solid and doesn't need much interaction but I'd rather not just cuz I like doing shit the semi hard way.
>>
>>62376091
skype, flash, chrome, spotify, steam
>>
>>62376598
sorry for late reply!

MDM on Linux Mint.
>>
>>62376598
>>62376921
Additional info: when I log out from another user account which has not used i3 the window has its normal size and everything works fine.
>>
>>62376921
>>62376991
Hmm. How are you logging out of i3? What commands, if any, do you use or what commands are used by the hotkeys you might have configured for logging out?
>>
>>62377063
Alt+Shift+e opens a window where I confirm with the mouse "exit".
>>
My laptop has dual GPU (integrated intel HD graphics and dedicated Nvidia). What should I know before I try to install GNU/Linux?

Will I want to kill myself trying to make them work? Is there a version of Nvidia Control Panel for GNU/Linux to choose which programs use each GPU?

As it is now, they just barely work on windows. I would need them to at least barely work as they do now.
>>
>>62376540
>>62376991
>>62377063
I might have found an answer because I use vmware:

> This is due to a bug in the vmware X11 driver. When i3 starts up, XRandR is not available, and thus i3 falls back on not using XRandR. However, after the first change to the configuration (for example by resizing), XRandR becomes available. Thus, the inplace restart has a different setup before and afterwards, and that leads to workspace 1 getting lost.

> To workaround this issue, you can issue an xrandr call in your ~/.xsession file:

#!/bin/sh
xrandr
exec i3

What would this change in the file cause?
>>
File: g101.png (19KB, 445x500px) Image search: [Google]
g101.png
19KB, 445x500px
Used debian for fucking ages and feel like a change up

arch or manjaro?
>>
>>62377342
Arch. Never use downstream distros if you're not a newbie.
>>
>>62377342
Manjaro. All the good Arch things without breakage.
>>
>>62377342
Why not upgrade to Sid? Since you know your way around Debian, you should be fine.
>>
>>62377438
What are the good Arch things?
>>
How does /fglt/ read rss news?
Searching for a nice reader.
>>
Would you guys recommend VirtualBox or VMware if you had to pick one?
>>
File: 1494776787018.jpg (298KB, 800x650px) Image search: [Google]
1494776787018.jpg
298KB, 800x650px
what's your favrit xfce theme/ icon theme?
>>
>>62377486
Used both fucking religiously learning virtualisation, I'd honestly say I can't remember if either had better features than the other, but I use VB now purely because it's free. You'll be using VMware though for a professional environment
>>
>>62377476
this

arch is a meme, prove me wrong faggots
>muh aur
sad excuse for lacking official packages
>muh bleeding edge
many distros have branches with bleeding edge software
>muh lightweight
like literally every other distro with netinstall
>muh rice
you can rice every distro

>>62377438
fun question: what the current time on your system?

>>62377342
all distros are the same, the only differences are package manager and philosophy

if you want change, change your wallpaper
>>
>>62377529
But I like the logo.
>>
File: scrot.png (9KB, 307x348px) Image search: [Google]
scrot.png
9KB, 307x348px
>>62377536
you're welcome
>>
I bought two screens for my laptop (2 x 28" 4k) and I normally use XFCE. Now I never had anything else than a laptop and I never had additional screens before. Is there any way that I can configure XFCE to have two screen settings depending on if I plug the screens in or not?

If the screens are unplugged, I want the laptop screen active and to be the only display in use (as main display)

when I plug the screens in, I want my laptop screen to be deactivated and only the big screens to be used as extended screens next to each other

is there any way I can achieve this without manually configuring the screens every time I plug them in? On my girlfriend's laptop with Gnome it works out of the box but I would like not to use Gnome
>>
>>62377578
install gentoo
>>
>>62377607
>friendly GNU/Linux thread
>friendly
>>
>>62377578
This might help you.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/251375/cant-get-1920-x-1080-in-ubuntu-via-vmware
>>
>>62377576
I thought that was the point of the logo
>>
I want to run the following commands at startup.

xrandr --newmode "1920x1080"  173.00  1920 2048 2248 2576  1080 1083 1088 1120 -hsync +vsync
xrandr --addmode Virtual1 1920x1080
xrandr --output Virtual1 --mode 1920x1080

What do you consider the better solution?
> a) save this as .sh file and run this as an executable at startup.
> b) save this commands in the ~/.profile file.

What is it /g/ and why?
>>
>>62377658
that's a nice one, also it did lead me to this:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37236103/run-a-script-on-monitor-connection-disconnection-event

I'll try around after work and tell the results ITT
>>
>>62377698
man xrandr
read it
>>
>>62377723
both works fine. I already tested it. I just try to figure out what in general the differences between solution a) and b) are. Not xrandr specificly.
>>
>>62377750
see >>62377723
>>
How can I completly remove systemd?
>>
File: 1221.jpg (12KB, 220x218px) Image search: [Google]
1221.jpg
12KB, 220x218px
>>62377759
read pic related faggot.
>>
>>62377723
>>62377759
see >>62377623
>>
>>62375485
after 4 hours of fucking with it i have completely given up on linux. i have no fucking idea how awesome or i3 work, and giving them each two hours of labor with no results is just too much
>>
>>62377780
If you would man xrandr and read it, you would know what to do.
>>
>>62377787
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>62371352
Fedora. I have hopped from Ubuntu as well.
>>
>>62377816
nice downgrade
>>
>>62377822
My laptop was a nuclear reactor on Ubuntu idk why. But on Fedora its fine. + the scrolling in web browsers is smoother too. Preference my man, preference.
>>
>>62377790
no, it doesn't
>>
>>62377698
Do whichever is more elegant/easier. Since you've already done them both, the .sh file is likely better since it'll be cleaner and more UNIX-y.
>>
Is the g wiki down?
>>
>>62377855
thx anon.
>>
Is NetworkManager a part of systemd?
>>
>>62377868
No, it's just you.
>>
>>62377908
No.
>>
>>62377908
Yes.
>>
What are some good OS/Distros for a literal (2001-2006) toaster laptop?
>>
>>62378119
any distro runs on any toaster
>>
>>62378124
But I need one that runs well. I highly doubt Kubuntu would work on these.
>>
>>62378127
why not?
>>
>>62378134
Are you fucking stupid? I have 512MB of RAM. I need to at least be able to run a web browser on top of my DE.
>>
>>62378144
seems youre the one who is stupid
>asks
>but already knows better
>>
>>62378119
Install Linux
>>
Gonna pick up a Thinkpad X220. Want something lightweight to use on it without too much autism. What do?
>>
>>62378179
install gentoo
>>
>>62377698

I consider an Xorg configuration file the better solution.
>>
>>62378179
BunsenLabs
>>
>>62378184
>without too much autism
>>
>>62378144
Try puppy linux
>>
>>62378198
I don't.
>>
>>62378201
Looks nice, all the comfiness of Openbox with none of the fiddling around
>>
NEW THREAD
>>62378274
>>62378274
>>62378274
NEW THREAD
>>
>>62374809
usb cable
syncthing
bluetooth
>>
>>62374809
http server
dropbox
>>
>>62377908
maybe
>>
>>62370490
Can we add, for eg, a debian repo to void?
>>
Which is the biggest repo of them all, the super set of all?
>>
how can i get consistent font? im using linux mint with xfce4 and firefox font looks weird compared to the desktop
>>
>>62376257
install gentoo
>>
>>62376442
And posting on 4chan is easier?
>>
>>62376373
Well, firstly, there's already a project in place whose goal is to port Guix to Gentoo; and, secondly, you can't just "merge Portage and Guix". If you even had the slightest understanding of how both of those softwares work, you would know that. Instead, you're like that guy at the sports bar who's yelling at the screen, retroactively trying to fix his favorite team's inevitable loss by saying things like, "You know, if so-and-so had passed the ball at this time, they totally would have won" like you have even the remotest authority over what direction these projects really ought to go in.
>>
>>62377484
Emacs
>>
>>62369076
Video and audio encoding/transcoding, torrent creation and upload, Watching anatomically educational videos, software development.
>>
>>62377623
install gentoo, please
>>
>>62369807
http://archive.is/CfG60
>Babbies First Linux
This archive mirrors https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux which is currently dead.
>>
>>62377787
Nice blog, brainlet
>>
>>62378119
NetBSD
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.