[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The thinkpad of gaming laptops

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_9470.jpg (95KB, 367x386px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9470.jpg
95KB, 367x386px
What's the thinkpad of gpu-containing laptops? I'm selling my gaming desktop and want to replace it with a laptop, but all the "gaming" laptops I can find are dumb as fuck, and google and websites are so assfucked with advertising and paid promotion that they are absolutely useless. Is there any way I can get a laptop with a GPU with out dropping 2k for some gay ass razer?
>>
>>62349879
>all the "gaming" laptops I can find are dumb as fuck
surprise, surprise.
>>
Thinkpad P series
>>
>>62349879
Those razer laptops are actually fairly normal looking and not too overpriced.
>>
get a quadcore igpu laptop with good cooling and add a desktop egpu to it.
mobile graphics are a scam and you know it
>inb4 macbook
((good)) cooling
>>
>>62349879
dell inspiron 7500 is pretty alright so far. Durable. Nvidia 1050-TI, 7th gen i5/i7 and a decent screen.

Im liking it but you need to patch and then uninstall any bloatware (like any windows machine).

I bought new games, though, because Ive never played good-new games, and I just ended up playing runescape and CSGO like normal.

Be careful in considering why you need an expensive laptop.
>>
>>62349901
I will 100% admit that I ask for this wanting a gaming laptop. I'm just tired of lugging that shit around for LAN parties, and I don't think that having to sit tucked away in my room to play video games or use my computer has been good for me. So I'm trying to get a gaming laptop that will make the switch as painless as possible
>>
>>62350210
>$1400 for intel HD graphics isn't overpriced
>$1800 for 14" w/ 1060

Uh what?
>>
I just want a modern desktop replacement. I want a thicc, but formal looking laptop with a desktop processor and MXM gpu in it.
>tfw you will never have a G40 with an R3 1200 and RX 560
>>
File: hp8760W.jpg (460KB, 937x768px) Image search: [Google]
hp8760W.jpg
460KB, 937x768px
>>62349879
Basically any workstation series business laptop.
Dell Precision
Dell XPS
HP Elitebook W series
HP ZBook series
Thankpad P series.

These all should come with some form of dedicated graphics, typically quadro cards. I have a HP Elitebook 8760W that has a replaceable graphics card and works rather well.

Otherwise if you really want something that is for gaming through and through, I also have a Lenovo Ideapad y510p that isn't too obnoxious with the GAYMUR aesthetic, red LED keyboard is as far as it goes, however it is relatively cheap in build quality and has SLI for graphics, which isnt ideal.
>>
>>62350481
And you expected what?
>>
>>62350509
>Quadro card in a laptop
what is battery life
>>
>>62350235
I have tons of downtime at work and want to use it there, but I would rather just be bored than be 'that guy' who brings a egpu in
>>
>>62350509
in truth that is probably not a bad idea but I'd be concerned with how unreal engine, frostbyte engine or otherwise interprets the separate sets of quadro cards.

/shrug I know nothing detailed about the domain but Id imagine consumer graphics cards have better utilization of the cards, relative to gaming.
>>
>>62350517
Something better than Alienware pricing?
>>
>>62350524
A Quadro K1100m, like whats in the Thinkpad T450, is only 45w.
So + quad-core processor at 35w, its really not that bad, youre in 120w power brick territory, but the T450 with the quadro option still gets like 4 hours under heavy use. You can expect 6-7 under regular load.
>>
>>62350509
lol OP here, I currently have a y510p. I love the thing to bits, it's great, but it's almost 4 years old and starting to wear. I also want to get a newer graphics card.
>>
>>62349879
Don’t you have something better to do with your life than vidya?
>>
I've been thinking of getting one of these Dell Inspiron laptops, it comes with an i5 and a gtx 1050, and it isn't so expensive at $799. It doesn't have too much of a GAYMUR esthetic with the black version only having the fans in the front and a red light keyboard.
>>
>>62350524
Depends if it supports optimus
older HPs and dells don't
>>
>>62350653
I do. I really do. But I'm a firefighter, and I do 24 hour shifts, and if people aren't calling 911 there's only so much to do at the station. And I can only spend so much time shooting the shit with my coworkers.
>>
>>62350524
The Dell Precisions with quadros still have Nvidia Optimus support, take that however you will.
>>62350627
I enjoyed my Y510P when I used it, but SLI and shitty driver support made it unstable for many games. I eventually stopped using it and now it just sits in a laptop bag doing nothing all day. I tried to sell it but nobody was interested. I still keep the Elitebook for if people want to do LANs but I am much more comfortable using my desktop, where I have multi-monitor, gpu passthrough and actual power for games etc. Unfortunately the dream of laptops as a desktop replacement is dead...
a friend of mine still clings to it though, he uses an external GPU with his Thinkpad T430, but after all of that you just end up with a smaller weaker desktop with integrated peripherals.
>>
>>62350235
>mobile graphics are a scam
>>
>>62350568
From another high end manufacturer? That thing is so thin for packing a 1060 and a quad core. And the build quality is the best in the business. Q
>>
>>62350773
>from a high end manufacturer?
If by high-end you mean price gouging than no I do not want it. That was the point of the post. Though the laptops are very thin, I will give you that>>62350773
>>
Sabre 15 gigabyte
>>
Stop trying to make gaming laptops work. They will just overheat.

>What's the thinkpad of gaming laptops?
A thinkpad with an egpu over expresscard.
>>
File: 1488184274200.png (1MB, 952x1253px) Image search: [Google]
1488184274200.png
1MB, 952x1253px
>>62349879
Stop being retarded my man. There are plenty of laptops that have a good dGPU without shitty aesthetics or a bulky frame.

>>62350659
There's a refresh coming out soon that has TB3, 1060, and IPS screen.
>>
>>62349879
Get an eluktronic barebone

You can get a g4600 with a 1050ti and 8gb ram (with no storage, Im sure you have a sdd/hdd) for about $650
>>
>>62351390
Your image forgot my personal favorites:
// To test a possibly undefined variable without throwing an error:
(function test(userinput){
if ((typeof userinput) == "undefined"){
// running 'typeof' against an undefined variable is pretty much the only thing you can do with it that won't throw errors
}
})(someVar);

// text matches
var m = document.body.textContent.match(/MID ([0-9]+)/);
if (m != null){ // get the match results here }
>>
I'm actually going through the same thing as I'm going to be travelling a lot. Never had a "gaming laptop" before, not since fucking 2003 in my Q3 days. Have been looking at this thing from Cyberpower below, can't find any reviews on it though so if anyone knows their shit please do inform me.

IPS display
i7-7700HQ, 16GB, GTX 1060 6GB, 256GB NVMe SSD

Seems decent for under 1100 no?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074F18HKS/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=
>>
File: krusty.jpg (30KB, 500x368px) Image search: [Google]
krusty.jpg
30KB, 500x368px
>>62349879
>gaming laptop
>>
Gaming laptop threads have slowly crawled into acceptance.
Disgusting. This is how you spot a reddit infestation.
>>
Why would you ever sell a desktop setup for a gaming laptop. You're looking at a downgrade in every sense and even if you manage to get the same specs as you desktop you're gonna be looking at paying double the price.
>>
>>62349879
Grab a Clevo from hidevolution and customize how you want it. If you're getting one of the thin and lights then liquid metal is a must, same if you're going with 7820hk
>>
>>62350467
>>62349879
Anon if you're willing enough you can maybe either do an egpu setup or go for the W or P workstation model

Or third option
Buy a elitebook 8770w and upgrade the mxm gpu. Afaik it can take up to a 970m
>>
>>62349879
>selling my gaming desktop and want to replace it with a laptop
retard
>>
>>62350509
8770w here.
It is the greatest.
Shit battery life though after I added a M3000M into it and have to force power consumption to maximum 24/7 to make it work properly.
>>
>>62349879
What's that laptop called anyway?
>>
I have a lenovo y700, it costed me a thousound euro, i7, nvidia 980, 8 gb ram, looks solid and not too heavy, since I dont play heavy games all that much im pretty happy with it as my daily driver, runs 4 player mario kart 8 on cemu at 1080p60fps, zelda at 30 in overworld and 60 in dungeon, most pc games run at 60 so not too shabby
>>
>>62355114
Put in an ssd so it boots in a few seconds as well
>>
Why is everyone suggesting egpu when nearly all solutions except the aw adapter suck ass. Mxm upgrades are also useless because it's nearly impossible to find them at reasonable prices.
>>
>>62353791
Not always, if you shop smart like I did and grab a refurb G751JY (980m) (4720hq) for 850 then you have around the same gaming power as a r5 1400 1060 3gb machine for around the same price.
>>
>>62350347
OSRS or RS3? If the latter how well does the NXT client run?
>>
>gaming laptop
>>>/x/
>>
>>62349879
Does anyone know of a laptop from maybe 2012 with a gpu that I can get used for a reasonable price?
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.