[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are programmers so anti-science?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 10

File: Screenshot_20170910-153126.jpg (205KB, 882x912px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170910-153126.jpg
205KB, 882x912px
Many programmers hold views against GMO food and nuclear energy. Many also deny man-made climate change.

Why are programmers the only anti-science STEM people?
>>
python programmers are normie enough for humor
>>
>>62348323
>STEM

American abbreviation for:

Science
Technology
Engineering
Medicine
>>
>>62348323
>Many programmers hold views against GMO food and nuclear energy. Many also deny man-made climate change.
>Why are programmers the only anti-science STEM people?
[Citation needed]

It's mostly down to politics. Anti-GMO and nuclear policies are a leftist thing, while climate change denialism is libertarian and conservative thing.
>>
>>62348323
I call bullshit on this. Every profession under the sun has people that believe idiotic stuff. Being an expert in a field says nothing about your abilities in another completely different field.
>>
>>62348323

BTW I have a degree in Electrical Engineering.

We don't have anti-science people in my field.

But tons of programmers hold both left-wing and right-wing antiscientific views.
>>
>>62348323
>no way to do async requests
ha
ha
ha
>>
>>62348385
>async requests

Use node.js
>>
>>62348323
I don't like GMO food, because the jews modify it.
I strongly support nuclear energy
>>
>>62348323
GMO is stupid and possibly dangerous, and Monsanto want to control the world food market. Their practices against farmers are evil.
>>
>>62348323
This. I feel odd, because I'm into programming and I'm slightly right leaning.
>>
>>62348373
There is science, and there is (((science))).
I myself have a degree in CS, and I firmly oppose the latter.
You can't deny that msm has spread bullshit and outright lies by citing fraudolent studies.
An example is the "circumcision doesn't reduce sensitivity meme". Literally EVERY study I have read considers the "normal" penis the circumcised penis, and the foreskin as something "extra". There was even written in one of them "of course an uncircumcised male has that extra skin, but what about sensitivity of the PENIS ITSELF?".

I MEAN.

And this is simply the most immediate example I could think of. Even regarding climate change: it is real, but there have been fraudolent studies exaggerating it. Even my physics professor in college confirmed it.
>>
it's a joke
>>
>>62348402
That's not even python. What the fuck.
>>
ITT: OP is autistic.
>>
>>62348444
>An example is the "circumcision doesn't reduce sensitivity meme". Literally EVERY study I have read considers the "normal" penis the circumcised penis, and the foreskin as something "extra". There was even written in one of them "of course an uncircumcised male has that extra skin, but what about sensitivity of the PENIS ITSELF?".

Here in Denmark the majority of surgeons are against circumcision.
>>
>>62348323
>deny man-made climate change.
It's mostly horseshit, the world would be getting warmer anyway and it won't cause the poalar ice caps to melt or whatever propaganda bullshit they spew. There is a lot worse environmental damage going on.

Being against GMO foods and nuclear energy is stupid though.
>>
>>62348323
Fake science is not real science, earth has been going through periods of heating and cooling for as long as its been around, why is it it now this is the serious crisis that can destroy the world?
>>
>>62348811
>>62348824
Because it is happening at a faster pace than it should obviously.
Read some papers, it's you vs the entire scientific establishment.
>>
File: 1484710538741.png (41KB, 720x334px) Image search: [Google]
1484710538741.png
41KB, 720x334px
>>62348811
>>62348824
Noone says humans are the sole cause of it, but human activities are accelerating it. It does happen naturally, but very gradually. This is not gradual, and it's no coincidence that it coincides with mass industrialisation.
>>
>>62348346
Mathematics you nigger
>>
>>62348385
Async should be part of the language, not the library.
>>
File: $.gif (1002KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
$.gif
1002KB, 250x251px
>>62348323
>Non GMO HTTP library

what does this even mean?
>>
>>62348878
The entire scientific establishment funded by the government, you mean. There are plenty, tens of thousands, of real scientists who don't believe in the global warming scare which is pushed primarily by left wing politicians.

Sorry anon, but you sound like a gullible retard. Did you get lost on your way to reddit?
>>
>>62348824
It doesn't really matter if it's man made or not.
Climate change means reduced crop yields. Globally we produce 3% more food than we use.
Imagine if food production was reduced by 10%, globally. This may be difficult for someone with low imagination, but basically there will be hundreds of millions of people without food.
>>
>>62348494
In real civilized countries, the practice is simply unheard of. I thought Denmark was among these countries?
>>
>make joke about gmo hysteria
>UGH YOURE LIKE UGH ONE OF THOSE UGH LIBERALS UGH GMO IS FINE UGH
autism is a serious disease please speak to your doctor about it today
>>
>>62349284
>"the" government
it's a global consensus retard
>>
>>62348494
Anti-semites, that's why we need multiculturalism.
>>
>>62348323
in reply to that pic

also, you wouldn't eat a library
>>
File: 1430303798779.gif (2MB, 297x229px) Image search: [Google]
1430303798779.gif
2MB, 297x229px
>>62348323
>Letting Monsanto Jews poison your food
>>
>pro nuclear
>pro GMO
>think climate change is real, but gimping western economies with regulation wouldn't do anything to slow it, and if anything may slow actually viable alternative energy sources from being developed
r8 my life
>>
>>62349932
>r8 my life
you're literally a dumb redditor from r/T_D
lel
>>
File: i8lalpxoz2vy.png (824KB, 780x617px) Image search: [Google]
i8lalpxoz2vy.png
824KB, 780x617px
>>62349932
Is this you?
>>
>>62349932
>gimping western economies with regulation wouldn't do anything to slow it, and if anything may slow actually viable alternative energy sources from being developed
This isn't true whatsoever. We already have the best energy source avail - nuclear. We have a bunch of secondary energy sources, solar and wind for example.
There is no need to hate regulation in this regard, if anything it should be much more strict on corporations, especially the meat industry and all free trade agreements going forward should explicitly detail moving towards green energies between the nations.
>>
GMOs destroy biodiversity.
>>
>>62350011
if you start creating carbon taxes, you're going to slow down the economy as a whole. you'll be subsidizing shitty, half assed gov't subsidized alternative energy sources instead of creating an environment where there's plenty of economic wiggle room for investment, and alternative energy sources will actually have to be viable for them to get money

in case you don't understand why this has to be this way, it's because places like china, the middle east, and india will not stop using gasoline to instead use western alternative energy, unless it's ACTUALLY better than gasoline. and so they will continue emitting just as much carbon as the west would prevent by using terrible gov't subsidized technologies which are artificially buoyed.

oh and it'd also let those 2nd world countries usurp the west economically, and then have the west lose whatever leverage they once had. so get your head out of your ass
>>
>>62348323
>pythonkiddies
>programmers

Also GMO is a real issue when they abuse it like Monsanto.
>>
>>62350089
and before you say that china uses alternative energy, that's all show. they use it in their 4 first class cities. look up how much carbon they emit before you post a pic of some electric chinese taxi
>>
>>62350089
>oh and it'd also let those 2nd world countries usurp the west economically, and then have the west lose whatever leverage they once had.
That isn't how it works whatsoever.
> unless it's ACTUALLY better than gasoline
That isn't actually the deciding factor, it's all about money, not quality.
Thank you for proving to me that you know absolutely nothing about the topic but still love to shove your ugly face into it. 1/10.
>>
>>62350089
>places like china, the middle east, and india will not stop using gasoline to instead use western alternative energy, unless it's ACTUALLY better than gasoline.

Don't know about India.
But China is investing heavily is solar and want to ban the sale of petrol/diesel powered cars completely.

There is a problem but it's America.
Any fuel we save they will burn up instead.
America is the sole reason we can't prevent global warming.
>>
>>62348323
Polluting the environment with man altered genes is dangerous.
>>
>>62350200
see >>62350153
already knew you'd say this same line they push because i hear it all the time. their skies are blackened and they don't even filter their coal factories. they have laws for it, but the factory owners just pay off the communist party members and save some money from not having to buy the equipment.
>>
File: list-countries-co2-per-capita.png (104KB, 922x625px) Image search: [Google]
list-countries-co2-per-capita.png
104KB, 922x625px
>>62350153
>look up how much carbon they emit

Less than pretty much all Western countries.

And much of that carbon emission is to produce good we in the West consume.
To be fair the emission from those factories and the transportation across the globe should be counted towards our emissions not theirs.
>>
>>62348323
fuck off kike
>>
>>62348363
Liberals also tend to deny biological science moreso than libertarians and conservatives.
>>
>>62350240
>per capita
you realize china has over a BILLION people, right? they're not emitting that amount per capita because they all use electric scooters, they're emitting that much because half of them still live in shacks in the country side
>>
File: c02.png (252KB, 1548x848px) Image search: [Google]
c02.png
252KB, 1548x848px
ah yes china, the clean energy juggernaut
>>
>>62350237
>they don't even filter their coal factories.

So?
Not my problem.

Thought this was about global warming, not local air pollution?
And in that regard China is willing to cooperate for the greater good of mankind. - too bad Americans are set on destroy the world.
>>
>>62350300
see >>62350295
idiotic chinaboo. china has never followed any carbon limits.
>>
>>62350265
>we shouldn't judge countries per capita, bigger country = worse.

I'm Dutch.
We're only 17 million so I guess that leaves us off the hook then.
>>
>>62350300
Lol what the fuck, this has to be bait
>>
>>62348494
Good to hear, I was talking about burgers.
>>
>>62350323
Which carbon limits?

AFAIK America always blocked any carbon agreements with China.
>>
>>62350300
t. Zhang Smith
>>
>>62350340
>no counter argument.
>hurr must be trolling

Typical fat American pig, hope NK will nuke you.
>>
>>62350369
I wasn't even him, that was my first post in this thread Jung.
>>
alri' lads what's going on in this thread then haha
>>
>>62348418
>GMO is stupid and possibly dangerous
-t. Brainlet
>>
File: Figure-5-hi.jpg (145KB, 1920x1166px) Image search: [Google]
Figure-5-hi.jpg
145KB, 1920x1166px
>>62349134
So the problem I have with people showing that chart is that they don't include the 200-300 years prior to 1900 because it doesn't fit the narrative. I couldn't find the exact time line I wanted, but Pic related. This graph clearly shows that it's not all that bad. We were in an ice age until about 1900. Don't get me wrong, I don't like my city getting hot, but I wouldn't say it's due to humans.

You also have to take into account that if we do warm another 10-15 degrees (c) globally, we will get the benefit of utilizing all that land in Canada for farming, which is currently too cold to cultivate crops.

Not saying it's a good thing, but it's not the end of the world. People will adapt.
>>
>>62349254
If you use anything else, you hate the environment and future generations, you bigot cis white straight male!
>>
>>62350670
>This graph clearly shows that it's not all that bad
Except the graph clearly shows it's not like before?
>>
File: co2_10000_years.gif (8KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
co2_10000_years.gif
8KB, 500x334px
>>62350670
It's not the temperature that are alarming.
It's the CO2 content.

The CO2 content indicated where will be a lot more warming in the near future. - that's where things get hairy.

If you go by temperatures alone you could assume they might go back down again.
But that's not what's going to happen.
>>
>>62350670
>>62351255

Also note how small the swings to "medieval warm period" and "little ice age" were compared to what's projected for global warming.

Those were very significant events in human history.
But they are nothing in comparison to what's to come.
>>
>>62348402
>.js
Might as well kill yourself
>>
>>62349242
You should be in the gas chamber, but alas, you're alive and well. Async is not a part of the language, and hence async has to be the part of the library.
>>
>>62348323
>Many programmers hold views against GMO food and nuclear energy.
No I'm fucking not.
>Many also deny man-made climate change.
No I fucking don't.
>>
>>62348811
I agree. I recognize that both those things have potential but both have disastrous consequences if done incorrectly
>>
Oh boy circumcision got pulled into /g/?
>>
science isn't real, OP
>>
>>62348323
Webdev isn't programming.
>>
>>62351779
it is doe
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.