[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

eReader

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: 1504934511747.png (291KB, 640x574px) Image search: [Google]
1504934511747.png
291KB, 640x574px
>2013
>want to get an eReader but the selection is shit
>"I know, I'll just wait a few years until the industry gets its shit together"
>fast forward to today
>nothing changed

Goddammit.

Anyone else waiting for shit here?
>>
? The paperwhite 3 is literally a perfect e-reader, assuming this one doesn't break I'll never need to buy another one. What more could you want?
>>
>>62326805
>>62327717
>paperwhite 3: good screen contrast long battery life, backlit screen, high resolution.
Seriously the papewhite (1 and 2 also) recived 9/10 star reviews (or close to that score). What more do you want from a device that should have only one purpose (to read books on the device) OP?
>>
>>62326805
If you actually want an eReader that you can do shit with, get an Onyx BOOX n96. Runs android so you can install different readers, browse the web, get kindle books that you bought(or not) read epub AND it has a pen that allows you to mark up your documents/books. Oh and a backlight.
>>
>>62328038
How's the PDF rendering nowadays? The appeal to ereaders for me would be to download/pirate any PDF and be able to read it easily.

I bought an E-Reader a few years ago, but it was impossible to read PDFs on. The formatting was savaged and impossible to read. Can't drag and zoom around like on a phone.

If I have to buy books from their proprietary ebook store to read them comfortably I'd rather just buy physical books.
>>
>>62328057
Paperwhite 3 has a backlight, and it's more comfy than reading actual paper. No reason to recommend anything over it tbqh.

>>62328038
legit I don't know what he wants from his e-reader, he gave us nothing to go off. The ONLY improve I can see them making to the vapewhite3 is colour e-ink for reading comics, I literally can't think of anything else.

>picture perfect screen, like reading a book but better because you change the fonts and text size
>perfect size
>backlit
>outdoor readability is perfect
>literally lasts 3 weeks on 1 charge

wtf else does he want?
>>
>>62328074
On paperwhite 3 you can enlarge the text like you would on a smartphone and move around using your finger but this will never be as smooth as on a LCD display. Ereader use different technology. But my self I read a few PDF (mostly technical books) on a paperwhite and never used the feature of enlarging the text.
>>
>>62328141
Yeah I could not find a single book I wanted to read that didn't contain a lot of graphs/equations whose formatting gets rekt. I would consider buying another ereader if it's improved, but that was my main problem with it.

You can read a PDF on any desktop or phone and it will look the same but the E-Reader I had did not preserve any formatting/graphs/images. So annoying, I wasted so much time trying different things to get it to work.
>>
File: kindle_vs_onyx.jpg (2MB, 3522x2314px) Image search: [Google]
kindle_vs_onyx.jpg
2MB, 3522x2314px
>>62328135
Well actually I have both so I can recommend the Onyx over the Kindle for the reasons I mentioned above
>mark on your books/documents
>easier highlighting
>physical buttons
>MUCH BIGGER SCREEN
>easier to read on
>EXPANDABLE MEMORY(micro sd)

pic very, very much related. It's scaled down a bit from the original image so the quality is sucking a bit. Also which would you rather read your PDF on, a small screen or a big screen?
>>
>/g/ calling proprietary technology "the best ever" when open alternatives exist

weird times
>>
>>62328215
Does that screen glare? It looks like it does, I personally think the form factor of the kindle is better, you can hold that 1 handed for hours without fatigue, you're probably right about pdfs, I just avoid getting anything pdf format and look for mobis.
>>
The selection is great. The kobo glo I bought in 2013 or whenever still works great.
>>
File: onyx_multiple.jpg (2MB, 2817x2817px) Image search: [Google]
onyx_multiple.jpg
2MB, 2817x2817px
>>62328365
The glare is from the camera flash, which is pretty bright. the screen is pretty much the same as any other eReader screen as far as glare is concerned. It has a matte screen. And when you turn the front light on even on the lowest setting it pretty much negates all glare.
I use a tablet stand to hold it up and it is pretty nice actually. It's pretty thin without the case, but I keep it on because it automatically puts it to sleep and obviously protects it.
Also, PDFs are really great. Sometimes you just can't find books in other mobi or epub. Unless you're getting only text then maybe it's okay but some books have formatting and graphs and pictures that just won't work with mobi. Plus this thing is good for manga
>>
Not OP
Thinking on getting a kobo
Thoughts/experiences?
>>
>>62328661
Now considering this brand too
>>62328648
>>62328215
>>
>>62328648
so Onyx is the ereader for weebs?
i will stick with kindle
>>
>>62328135
Not him, but I want bugger screens so I can read A4 sized PDF. I know Sony makes one but that shit costs 1000 dollars.
>>
>>62326805
there are few ereaders that are bigger than a goddamn kindle finally so I might get one eventually.
>>
>>62328365
>I just avoid getting anything pdf
>look guys, I'm fucking retarded xD
K, we got that. Now piss off.
>>
>>62328215
How much does this cost?
>>
>>62328661
>>62326805
>>62328684

I have an aura one, it's pretty good.
Lightweight, good screen, waterproof, automatic brightness adjustment, change light temperature.

I wish the battery life was a little better, I get ~12 hours. That's what's specified though.

I also don't like the new home screen. Luckily it's super easy to revert to a prior firmware version

>>62328731
>>62328737
Aura one is 7.8"
>>
>>62328763
Oh, it's only $320 for a fucking ereader
>>
>>62328648

what is the manga on the right? The one about electricity?
>>
>>62328057
>runs android

gross

why not just run debian or something sane
>>
>>62328379
I heard a lot of people on here advocating the Kobo Glow HD a while ago.
>>
>>62328326
Kindle paperwhite 3 is okay, but the proprietary shit makes it virtually useless for fun shit like changing fonts unless you jailbreak it.

Also the default menu on kindles is complete fucking advertising garbage cancer, I hear kobo's are similar now.

Personally, a new ereader for me would need:

more storage space
linux OS (e.g. completely open)
physical buttons
more ergonomic shape (kindle oasis is almost perfect)
even higher dpi, 300 is like the minimum for text, ereaders should be climbing into the 600+ range
good functional software
waterproofing
faster refresh rate
same or better battery life

but the industry moves as slow as molasses and charges out the ass for minor changes, so it'll probably be another decade before an ereader with all this basic shit gets on the market
>>
>>62328751
triggered autist, I don't use my kindle for reading graphs/charts. I use it to read books, which fucking pretty well always come in multiple formats, I can't remember the last time I was forced to use a pdf on my kindle.
>>
File: more_onyx.jpg (2MB, 2509x3219px) Image search: [Google]
more_onyx.jpg
2MB, 2509x3219px
>>62328684
It's pretty damn awesome

>>62328707
Maybe? I mean it's useful for a lot of other things too. Kindle has a "Manga" edition of the Paperwhite, can't get any more weeb than that.

>>62328763
When I got it it was $360 plus the case. The case is probably about $20. You can get an option without the front light and it's a good bit cheaper.

>>62328810
The Manga Guide to Electricity

>>62328892
Well it's better than lame Kindle software that locks you down hardcore. At least with Android you can download different readers or apps for specific purposes. You get choice and that's what's nice. Heck you could probably sideload a custom APK if you made it and upload it to the device.
>>
>>62326805
>2006
>Use internet browser on my PSP for the first time
>"It would be so cool to have a handheld PC"
>fast forward to today
>GPD WIN has chink manufacturing problems but it has a keyboard and everything
>Hoping 2 will fix most of the issues and have better specs

It will happen eventually.
I just need to get good enough with linux to avoid botnet 10.
>>
>>62328998
>360$ for a single reader
Smh desu senpai
>>
>>62326805
Pocketbook touch hd is good enough
>>
>>62328998
for you
>>
>>62326805
>>2013
>>too poor to get a decent eReader
ftfy
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.