[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I suck at math and am going to go into CS soon. What should I know?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: math.jpg (394KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
math.jpg
394KB, 800x450px
I suck at math and am going to go into CS soon. What should I know?
>>
Don't worry about it. Aside from the pre-reqs you're not going to be using hard math in programming.

by the way you're a fucking nerd lmao
>>
>>62306946
What pre-reqs are we talking about? I've got a bunch of time now and wanna learn everything I'll need to know
>>
>>62306972
Really depends on what kind of program you're going into (2yr, 4yr) and where you wind up after placement tests. Not much beyond high school level arithmetic. If you're doing a 4yr program you might need to do a physics course. This is all assuming you're a US student. If you're not, someone else will have to help.
>>
File: sadfrog not today.png (99KB, 447x453px) Image search: [Google]
sadfrog not today.png
99KB, 447x453px
I dropped out because I was too retarded for mathematical proofs.
>>
>>62307160
Did you give up when it got hard, or did you at least try to seek out the (likely) free tutoring available at your university? C'mon anon.
>>
>>62307184
It was everywhere. Some things were okay. Like proving the complexity of an algorithm (if that algorithm wasn't too complex) but it got pretty bad in statistics classes. I once learned with a math student and he said you just have to memorize a ton of those proofs to be able to solve them yourself. Maybe that could have worked but I was too lazy for that too apart from being too retarded.
>>
>>62307281
As someone who was too lazy to finish college after high school, you'll come to regret that soon enough. It's much more rewarding to just power through the things that make you miserable so that you can have a better life later. Otherwise you'll end up very, very miserable, only doing things you hate so that you can survive to do more things that make you miserable.
>>
>>62307095
>placement tests
niqqa what.

i never had any of those, but i had AP credit too

t. dropout
>>
Nothing.

The vast majority of CS code monkeys don't use any form of advanced math at all.

If you were destined to make great advancements in CS, you wouldn't be posting on /g/ about how bad at math you are.
>>
>>62307353
Yeah that could be true but it was awful. I didn't even get the proof for the arithmetic mean. This must have been the proof that was presented in that lecture:
https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/1199757/does-the-arithmetic-mean-minimize-the-sum-of-absolute-values-of-deviations
The arithmetic mean works since you can prove that it minimizes the sum of absolute values of deviations. I still don't understand the logic how you can even use deviations to prove that statement if you didn't prove that deviations work before all of that. To be honest I still can't picture what any of that could even mean. I just memorized this proof because it was just too ridiculous to see how you could make such a complicated matter out of something as easy as the arithmetic mean.
>>
>>62307377
smart enough to take AP but too retarded to realize taking ap means you dont need a placement test
>>
>>62306889
study convolution and laplace transform
>>
>>62306889
you should know any twelve year old can learn how to program on the internet for free.
>>
>>62307676
not true anymore lot of universities(midwest) still want you to take a placement test or retake the classes. AP compsci is in Java and if your school teaches in C like mine then woop AP was a waste of money.
>>
>>62306972
If 4yr dig into pre-calc, since two to three semesters of Calculus will be on your to do list.
>>
>>62306889
Just focus on discrete mathematics, google the rest.
>>
If doing Computer Science, then you'll need calc 1, 2, and 3, and probably a dedicated differential equations course.
You'll need a discrete mathematics course.
Most schools have a stats course requirement (especially these days given the prevalence of machine learning).

Calc 2 is the weed-out course.
You'll have 500 kids go in as computer science majors, but they'll come out as "IT" or something similar (IT majors don't require above calc 1 at the vast majority of schools, some don't even require calc 1, so tons of kids pick it over CS).
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.