[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/homeserver/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: build.png (3MB, 1923x2421px) Image search: [Google]
build.png
3MB, 1923x2421px
/homeserver/ thread.
Thank you everyone that gave me advice last thread. This is my final build. Arrives next week.

Decided I'll use it for more than just storage. Anything I'm missing? I realize the cabinet is big, but I literally could not find an 8U~12U enclosure that had a depth of 30''+ which supported a weigh load of 300lbs or more. The smaller enclosures seem to all be wall mounts.
>>
>>62297943
I question how much that front door is going to allow ventilation. Most racks have mesh doors.

The PSUs will be obnoxiously loud in the SC847, you'll want to look in to the SuperQuiet PSUs

And that SSD is a retarded choice if you're using it for caching. You'll want a enterprise class disk that actually has decent write endurance. If you're going to poorfag it look on servethehome's forums in their great deals section for used enterprise class SSDs.

>LEDs
wow you're a faggot

Also if you dont care about your power bill get 2 smaller servers instead so you can do things like run S2D or whatever the faggy linux version is so you dont lose access to your data if a server goes offline.
>>
>>62297943
Also those HGST disks arent actual enterprise class disks. Their nonrecoverable error rates are 10^14 when they should be 10^15 or better

https://www.hgst.com/sites/default/files/resources/DS_NAS_spec.pdf

You can find used 7K4000 Ultrastars for less and they're actually enterprise class.
>>
File: black_serv.jpg (63KB, 432x681px) Image search: [Google]
black_serv.jpg
63KB, 432x681px
>>62298107
>I question how much that front door is going to allow ventilation
Reviews didn't say anything negative as far as I know. It has a mesh ceiling
https://sysracks.com/catalog/sysracks-srf/18u-39-depth-it-telecom-cabinet-srf-18-6-10/#prettyPhoto

>The PSUs will be obnoxiously loud in the SC847
That's fine, since it'll be in a separate room.

>And that SSD is a retarded choice if you're using it for caching
I see. It was $89 so I figured why not. What about an M2 vs enterprise SSD's?

>wow you're a faggot
What is so bad about having a little ambient lighting jesus.

>if you dont care about your power bill
I care about it

>>62298162
>You can find used 7K4000 Ultrastars for less and they're actually enterprise class.
Thanks

The only thing that I've actually ordered is the server, so I can still swap the HDDs out.
>>
>>62297943
looking to make a small low power server to act as a seedbox. Currently using my router, but the 0.25 Gb of ram is causing problems.
>>
>>62298298
jesus fucking christ the rear has zero ventilation

if all you have is that one box in there you can probably get away with it but this is a horrible rack to choose. that or just take off the rear door or leave it open

>I see. It was $89 so I figured why not. What about an M2 vs enterprise SSD's?
M.2 is a form factor. enterprise SSD describes the capabilities of a disk in both endurance and nonrecoverable error rates.

>What is so bad about having a little ambient lighting jesus.
why do you even care if it is going to be in another room
>>
>>62298298
>https://sysracks.com/catalog/sysracks-srf/18u-39-depth-it-telecom-cabinet-srf-18-6-10/#prettyPhoto
You can get it with mesh doors, you should do that instead
>>
>>62297943
nigga i told you, you don't need an ssd for your OS, you are literally wasting money on 6gb disk space being used from your operating system.
>m2 vs enterprise
neither because you literally will never need it for anything. not even for l2arc because you can't partition drives for l2arc. t

why are you so brain dead? nobody wastes money on booting an operating system from ssd except if its a workstation.

>>62298107
>>62298895
he won't listen because he's a man-child.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.