[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is this a meme or is it really better than a mouse?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 9

File: 81LXFlSGv1L._SL1500_.jpg (150KB, 1500x865px) Image search: [Google]
81LXFlSGv1L._SL1500_.jpg
150KB, 1500x865px
>>
My dad has used these for as long as I can remember. It's almost comfy for casual browsing once you've used it for a bit.
>>
My brother uses this exclusively when gaming on his laptop. You definitely gotta get used to it
>>
>>62297747
>is this a meme
Of course not. A meme is a picture with a couple of lines of ironic text on a background of several colours, layered in a fan like fashion.

>This is a trackball mouse
>>
>>62297747
If you like it, it's great.
I don't. My friend uses this as his gaming mouse.

Which I find horrible for gaming as to me it's intended to work in graphics.

But hey, that's my pinch of salt.
>>
>>62297865
>trackball mouse
>trackball
>mouse
unless it's got an optical sensor on the bottom too, it's one or the other
>>
>>62297978
Wut, I never said trackball mouse
>>
>>62297987
I clicked reply to >>62297931. I don't know what happened.
>>
File: marble_mouse_2.jpg (25KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
marble_mouse_2.jpg
25KB, 500x500px
I found pic related to be more comfortable than any mouse I've used once I got used to it.
>>
>>62297747

Thumb balls may be, but not fingerballs. It's hard to go back to a regular mouse use after one of these >>62298066
>>
>>62298071
fingerballs look a lot less comfortable.
>>
File: deal_with_it.gif (2MB, 315x302px) Image search: [Google]
deal_with_it.gif
2MB, 315x302px
Software engineer here.

I was having wrist pain from mousing a few years ago; switched to a trackball, had no more problems. As someone who needs their wrists intact to make a living, they can be an invaluable tool.

They aren't a meme as far as I'm concerned, no.
>>
>>62298009
Its OK, it's obvious though what the thing is.
>>
File: lenovo_trackpoint-1.jpg (42KB, 515x336px) Image search: [Google]
lenovo_trackpoint-1.jpg
42KB, 515x336px
>>
>>62298231
It's a meme.
>>
trackballs are fucking amazing for laptops
instead of bringing a shitty tiny travel mouse you bring that and you don't have to move it at all
the only downside is that playing FPS games is hard when you've been used to a mouse for 30 years
>>
>>62298231
it's better than a trackpad
mouse > trackball > trackpoint > touchpad
>>
>>62298231
Trackpoint is the most efficient non-actual-mouse pointing device. It is not a meme.
>>
>>62298231
Arguably the case can be made that it's the best pointing device because it doesn't require you reposition your hand multiple times (all mice), doesn't require you to make multiple gestures to move the pointer across the screen (trackpad), and it apparently has high precision as well.
>>
It is a mouse you fucking turbo nigger. Also trackball mice are superior. Especially in games. Super comfy to rekt noobs when you know they got some 100 dollar esports gaymur mouse.
>>
Na
>>
>>62297931
>A meme is a picture with a couple of lines of ironic text on a background
That's an image macro.
>>
>>62297931
>A meme is a picture with a couple of lines of ironic text on a background of several colours, layered in a fan like fashion.
Wrong.
>an idea, behavior, style, or usage that spreads from person to person within a culture.
>>
>>62298625
I've got a T430. The nub takes a little getting used to, but it's great. I use it FAR more often than the trackpad. Still prefer a real mouse though.
>>
It's great, I wouldn't get a thumb ball though
>>
>>62297747
it is a mouse though?
>>
>>62297931
>the reddit conception of what a meme is
>>
>>62298231
It's not called a clit mouse for no reason
>>
>>62297747
I have one, it's pretty godly. Just ditch the traditional mouse OP, trackballs are superior in every way. The only ones you still use a regular mouse are game toddlers.
>>
I can't overstate how much I dislike thumb trackball mice for games. The thumb didn't evolve to be dexterous for minute movements like the middle fingers. Trying to aim with the thumb in a game that requires speed and precision is just a recipe for strain.

The Steam Controller is also centered on thumb trackball -like touchpads, but it gets a pass for not having a huge physical ball to manipulate and strain against, and having a gyro for those minute aim adjustments.

Wrist pain? Just get a cheap as fuck vertical mouse model.

Spreadsheet work and browsing? Get what you want. I actually have an M570 (fell for the thumb trackball meme), now relegated to remote control from my bed, works fine for that.
>>
Finger balls looks comfy, but they expansive if you want something good. Elecom Huge is like 80$ and it has a shitty ball.
This one >>62298066 is cheap but it doesn't has enough buttons, not even a scrollwheel.

I heard good things about this one >>62297747 but I don't know about using the thumb. Especially if you want play games or something.
>>
>>62300323
Kensington Orbit's got scroll, three buttons, and is priced like a normal mouse.
What more do you need?
>>
>>62297747
>is this a an element of a culture or system of behaviour passed from one individual to another by imitation or other non-genetic means or is it really better than a mouse?
Cretin
>>
>>62298166
Can't you just learn to touch type and tons of keyboard shortcuts? That being said I'd like to have one exclusively for browsing and non-gaming stuff.
>>
>>62300323

You can turn the ball into a scrollwheel that's activated by one of the buttons on Marble Mouse.
>>
>>62297747
Trackballs are great. They are way better for your wrist and once you get used to them they are more accurate than mice. Although the one in your picture has shit build quality and will probably break after a year (my m570 did) so you might wanna get a kensington.
>>
>>62297978
It has an optical sensor that detects the ball movements.
>>
>>62298071
>>62298086
I've used both thumb balls and fingerballs and they are both pretty comfy. I've heard that thumb balls may be less good for you because all the effort is in your thumb while typically you use multiple fingers on a finger ball.
>>
>>62298231
Definately better than a trackpad and super portable.
trackball > trackpoint > mouse > rat shit > trackpad
>>
>>62298510
Once you get used to it you can be just as good if not better with a trackball in fps games. My aim actually improved with my Kensington orbit.
>>
>>62297931
no newfag see this >>62299744
>>
>>62297747
Fair bit of warning. I've used the heck out of this trackball and I really find comfy, but the switches for the clicks will likely wear out after about 2 years. Eventually, it'll start to unintentionally double click or fail to hold a click at all.

I'm making a jump to the new Elecom thumb trackball mouse and will see how that fairs.
>>
>>62300177
>>62300322
I can aim great with my Kensington orbit. Fingerballs are definately better for aiming.
>>
>>62302746
just replace the switches your self. good quality japanese omron switches are cheap on ebay. the m570 is very easy to dissasemble.
>>
>>62300323
Look into the kensington orbit with scroll wheel, it's missing middle click but you can use the software to bind that to pressing both buttons (on Mac and windows) or just control click to open links in new tabs.
>>
>>62302746

This is actually a problem that various Logitech devices have.
>>
>>62302745
What is the fucking point of linking someone to a post that was replying to that someone in the first place?
>>
Worth trying for sure. I wouldn't say it's better for everyone, but I'm never going back. I game with it too. (Kensington Expert Mouse)

My mouse wrist used to hurt so bad from computing all day.

t. rackball user
>>
>>62302636
M570s are unreliable, but I haven't found any thumb trackball with better ergonomics.
>>
>>62297747
I use pick related for work and never looked back. So coworkers couldn't get used to it, so it can be awesome or rubbish independent of the device.
>>
>>62303281
Every mouse manufacturer has this issue.
>>
>>62303669

Could be if they use the same switches. That is just my own experience with Logitech compared to everything else plus what I've heard others say.
>>
>>62303903
> (((quality omron switches)))
Double register within 3 years like clockwork.
>>
File: 203457.gif (179KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
203457.gif
179KB, 500x500px
>>62303958
> mfw scooping up cheap gayming mice and trackballs on ebay because normies can't replace the switches
>>
would buy a CST trackball if I could. It's kinda costly, but the huge ball (billard ball compatible), laser tracking, and scroll wheel really makes it the Rolls Royce of trackballs
>>
>>62298625
>high precision
Not really. With a mouse or trackball you can hit a target in the tens of milliseconds. Trackpoint takes hundreds to thousands.
>>
File: Logitech Gaming Mouse G500.png (149KB, 455x500px) Image search: [Google]
Logitech Gaming Mouse G500.png
149KB, 455x500px
>>62297747
>Implying it's better than this
>>
>>62304043
> Gaming Mouse
> Memetech

You must be +18 to post here.
>>
>>62297747
No they are a joke. I got one in a burglary I did, years ago on a nigger-in-a-nice-area house and for some reason he had one. So I took that too and it was retarded and I think it's for women or kids or something so it threw it in the trash.
>>
>>62304245
It's still useful for non-gaming purposes. It was even one of /g/'s favorite mice at one point.
>>
>>62303980
They suck. Don't buy.

Get this instead.

http://xahlee.info/kbd/elecom_huge_trackball.html
>>
>>62304435

Looks good.
Any proof / objective reviews / informed user feedback that its better though? "High DPI" has nothing to do with quality
>>
>>62304435
>Finger trackball
DROPPED
>>
File: 1485449143372.jpg (119KB, 1342x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1485449143372.jpg
119KB, 1342x1000px
Anyone tried other thumb trackballs than the M570, like the Elecom EX-G or the Sanwa MA-WTB43BK?
>>
>>62300322

I've used thumbballs exclusively for almost 20 years. Took me about a year to become as proficient in games with them as I previously was with a mouse. Now I can just smash anyone when it comes to mouse movement in games.
>>
i really like it for everything other than playing video games. it's super comfy.
>>
>>62303980
IMO the CST trackballs aren't worth the money. the plastic feels about average quality and the scroll wheel is hard too reach. The rollers and ball are nice though. Also most modern trackballs have either laser or optical tracking.
>>
>>62304622
For what I heard every elecom have a shitty ball, it doesn't spin smoothly.
Never tried it personally tho.

>>62304775
Aren't fingerballs supposed to be faster and more precise than thumbballs?
Have you tried it?
>>
>>62305716
I've got an elecom, and think it's great, works just like the logitec but with more buttons, like tilting the scroll wheel to scroll sideways and it's more durable too, I've had thre logitecs go out on me at about the year and a half mark, elecom is still goin strong.
>>
>>62297931
fucking r*ddit cucks.
>>
>>62304536
Any proof? Have you seen the lay out between the two? That alone elevates it over the CST. And the optical dpi only matters when dealing with high resolution. It is still limited by USB polling rate which is still locked by Windows 10.

It is better in every way.
>>
>>62301488
>Spend hours/days/weeks learning a bajillion keyboard shortcuts

or

>Spend $45 on a trackball

Hmm
>>
>>62304435
>>62304536
A guy here said it has a shitty ball and it's only decent if you clean it every day
>>
>>62305783
I heard a good combo is elecom with the M570 ball.
>>
>>62306165
It depends on what version you get. The older versions had the superior ring finger "sniper" button. But worse bearings and LED. You could fix the bearings and LED issue with a blue ball from the logitech MX trackball. The later versions addressed everything but they replaced the "sniper" button with a gesture button.

And avoid the wireless versions like the plague.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.