[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the benefits of running a Linux distro as a primary

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: install_gentoo.jpg (86KB, 698x461px) Image search: [Google]
install_gentoo.jpg
86KB, 698x461px
What are the benefits of running a Linux distro as a primary OS instead of tinkering with it in a VM? Dual booting or replacing everything sounds too balls deep for now.
>>
>>62283476
You can't go balls deep if you don't have any balls.
>>
Dual booting is useless. Overwhelming majority of dual booters stick to one OS anyways.
Using a VM (or similar options) is optimal.
Use what works best for you, not what inbred memers who waste away their life on /g/ shill about.
>>
>>62284012
This isn't true at all. I use Linux as my daily driver but hop to Windows when developing for VR/ playing gaymes non-compatible with Linux. Works for me.
>>
>>62283476
cool internet points. and not being a humongous cuck.
>>
>>62283476
If you don't feel going balls deep is okay, it's okay. Just try it out, buy an HDD, rice it and continue work on your regular OS. When you're ready and the transfer will be seamless, just hop over.

Here is my life story:

>be 17
>Windows
>be 18
>Windows
>be 20
>Think "hey, might just try Linux on the laptop"
>wanna be 1337 hacker so install Kali on SSD
>fast boots
>hacking the mainframe like a leet
>22
>fuck, this Kali bullshit is not really secure, huh?
>hear about Debian 9
>oh shit, it's here
>install it as soon as possible
>start with minimalist, install everything as I need it (i3-gaps, WPS, zathura, firefox)
>recognize the glory of vim
>One day my laptop keyboard dies
>e-mail boss saying "I need 50$ for a new keyboard"
>calls me at 22:30 saying "You're getting a new laptop, Anon. What'll it be?"
>I was born ready
>pick X220 up the next day
>plug SSD in
>everything just werkz
>no problems anywhere
>been running it to this day
>no problems

It's about getting used to stuff, but now it seems like a fucking chore to go online and find exe installers. I have a shortcut for sudo apt-get install (I aliased it as "install"), so every possible package is just "install XXXXXXX".

It's easy to transfer once you commit to learning a new thing. It's like learning Windows again. I remember not being able to remember dir and cd .., it was all incredibly foreign.
>>
File: 1460928934213.jpg (104KB, 640x454px) Image search: [Google]
1460928934213.jpg
104KB, 640x454px
>>62283995
>>
Better performance on lower end hardware.

Windows runs like shit on my x220 and i don't know how anybody can use it on a daily basis. It's just so choppy, feel like I'm always waiting on animations. Linux is lean on the other hand so i don't run into weird ass lag.
>>
>>62283476

Ask not what is good about running Linux, but what is good about not running Windows.

Apart from that, you have to try it. When I left Windows 7 and installed Ubuntu I couldn't believe what a beautiful computing experience it was. My computer was no longer a clunky car which got me from A to B, but a TGV which did it in style. You have to try it for yourself: Linux is fast, smooth, never nags you and you're in much more control. I'm now on Debian and really enjoying it.
>>
>>62287783
This. X220 masterrace here.

OP, I just bought an X200 with 1GB of RAM. Is it an issue? No fucking way. I got 8 in my X220, so I'll just pop 1 out of it and transplant it into the X200. 4GB per machine is a win, right?
>>
>>62287783
>Linux is lean on the other hand so i don't run into weird ass lag.
This. I almost feel like I wasted my money upgrading my CPU from an 8350 to Ryzen 1800x. Linux runs so silky smooth on anything, I can only see the difference in performance while monitoring my system. Feels wise, there's no difference whatsoever.
>>
>>62283476
It's fast and it doesn't fuck with you.
>>
>>62283476
It really depends on the hardware. Laptops typically are the source of all the bitching associated with Linux. Some laptops just have shitty components and you can't easily get the necessary drivers for them. Most of the time desktops won't have any issues.
So, you may want to look into driver support if you're planning on installing on a laptop. Good news is VM's will work regardless.
>>
>>62287860
>>62287868
I think a lot of it comes from just graphics. Windows wastes a lot of power on pretty effects like opening a menu and rendering pointless shit. For newer hardware, it isn't really a big deal so i use KDE and Cinnamon regularly. But using MATE on sandy bridge is so much better because there's no stupid bullshit to make it look pretty and in that respect it comes off more attractive imo
>>
>>62288226
dude, let me show you the definition of comfy.

>X220 with i3-gaps and an external monitor.
>>
>>62288320
I am trying to get into i3 now actually. Firefox nightly kills off my favorite add-on tile tabs, so i am looking into it. Might install the manjaro with gaps variant since reinstalling windows 10 corrupted my super block backups on my arch partition (t-thanks Microsoft)
>>
>>62288379
If you get an arch-based distro, be sure to check out pywal. Luke Smith just showed me and it's the shit. It automatically corrects the colour scheme based on your WP.
>>
>>62287309
>kali
>secure
you were a dumb fella
>>
>>62288562
As my mother said: It's not a shame to be dumb, it's a shame to stay dumb.

I got better and got Debian.
>>
>>62287783

GNOME desktop animations are shit
>>
>>62288550
That's pretty fucking sick, I'll check it out. I hate having to tweak that manually
>>
>>62289866
I think the solution is don't use GNOME. Kde is pretty good on animations and they can be tweaked and disabled.

I miss compiz though so i won't lie and pretend i have good taste
>>
>>62287860
X220 is DDR3 while the X200 is DDR2.
>>
>>62289866
Disable them. Animations are a toy for babbies, anyways.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.