[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

riddle me this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

File: image.jpg (72KB, 300x357px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72KB, 300x357px
computers:
>use them and they get hot
>need fucking FANS (technology from 500 BCE) to operate and not explode

refrigerators:
>ALWAYS cold
>just fucking work

why don't computers use refrigeration technology for cooling?
>>
Why didn't your mother use birth control technology?
>>
Condensation

/thread
>>
>>62279260
You don't need refridgerator to cool the computer (unless you're using Skylake-X).
>>
>>62279260
No need, I use Ryzen. Always cool.
>>
File: nigger face.jpg (18KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
nigger face.jpg
18KB, 200x200px
>mfw Intelfags need fucking fridges for computers to be invented to run their garbage housefire bullshit
>>
>>62279260
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PJOrfpiVwE
You can always attach a fucking radiator sized heat sink to your computer and remove the fans
>>
>>62279260
The AC motor (and a few month later electric fans) was invented in the 80s. The electric fridge was invented in the 10s. Only thirty years difference.

Refrigeration technology is more expensive. You'd need about a 120 watt freezer for a 200 watt computer. The freezer would always have to beat the computer or it cook inside. That's around 100 dollars if it was mass produced for computers.

Or you know just a 10 dollar 1 watt fan that already does it's job
>>
>implying refridgerators do not need to be cooled
poor bait, everyone knows basic physics, Anon
>>
File: 70nW6qzAKIPwCu9gs.jpg (61KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
70nW6qzAKIPwCu9gs.jpg
61KB, 800x600px
>>62279260
>not explode
>a tank filled with propane butane
>>
>>62279260
They do, have you never heard of water-cooling?

It is the exact same principle. Also note that refrigerators get very hot on their back and the heat doesn't magically disappear.
>>
File: tibetan-plateau-09.jpg (524KB, 1387x793px) Image search: [Google]
tibetan-plateau-09.jpg
524KB, 1387x793px
>>62279260
>why don't computers use refrigeration technology for cooling?
Because you only use refrigeration if you need to lower your temperature below ambient. Computers don't need that cooling and would actually be damaged due to condensation.

You can cool a computer using just air, it saves on parts and running costs.
>>
>>62279260
You can buy coolers that work the same way.
But there is no need.
>>
>>62279552
>It is the exact same principle.
No it's nothing at all the same.

Refrigeration works because you are expanding a high pressure liquid into a low pressure gas that absorbs energy when it changes state from liquid to gas. Then compressing the hot gas and dumping the heat from where you evaporated the HP liquid and the heat added by compression, which condenses the HP gas back into a liquid.

Water cooling just uses water as a medium of heat transfer without any state changes or compressors.
>>
Exists, called phase-change cooling. Condensation is the big issue. And size. And weight. And cost. And they're pointless.
>>
>condensation
direct the condensation in to a cup of water. Infinite water = gaming fuel
>size and weight
who cares, you're not gonna move your desktop anywhere anyway
>cost
capitalism would fix that
>heat
direct the excess heat to a secondary refrigerator
>>
>>62279457
Man powered fans go back millennia, steam to the 1830's, and the first electric fans were DC not AC. The AC motor was not invented in the 1880's but instead the 1830's, you're thinking of the induction motor.
>>
a fridge/freezer cooling system's strength is lower-than-ambient temperatures, something which is both not particularly beneficial to computers, and possibly a negative, as lower-than-ambient temperature leads to condensation
they're also not as powerful as you'd think, a freezer might stay well under 0C all the time, but remember that you're talking about a thermally insulated box containing items which generate no heat at all, it's not hard to maintain temperature in this environment
put a heat generating device in a freezer and you'll find the freezer will struggle to keep the temperature down
>>
>>62279260
Has it ever ocurred to you that the food you put in your fridge does not produce heat?

Try putting a 300 or just 100 Watt heater inside your refrigerator, leave it there for a few hours and then go back and see what happened to your food.

I didn't want to link to Linus, but he actually explains it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8bhGw4vUFE
>>
File: diagram.jpg (21KB, 500x355px) Image search: [Google]
diagram.jpg
21KB, 500x355px
It has been done
http://www.anandtech.com/print/262/

I'd personally like to see the tech revisited, there are ways to mitigate the downsides.
>>
>>
https://youtu.be/sbbFHaLuFZk?t=417
>>
>he doesn't blow air from his mouth to the hot parts
What a fucking pleb
>>
>>62280691
isn't the compressor gonna blow my fucking ears when it turns on
>>
>>62279260
Refrigerators are actually really inefficient, which is why they bug you if you leave the door open for more than 10 seconds.

You can't use a standard refrigerator to cool a computer because it doesn't dump heat out faster than the computer is generating it.
>>
>>62281047
You don't use phase change cooling for a silent PC.
>>
>fans
>needs 10W to remove remove 350W of heat

>compressor
>needs 400W to remove 350W of heat
>needs additional fans to cool the compressor

/g/ - technology enthusiasts who literally wouldn't pass high-school science
>>
Actually computer refrigirators do exist

Linus shown something once.
It was a massive ficking machine that made ice grom on the mobo and shit.

I believe the vide was about "does lower temperature make pc faster?" You can try searching for it.
>>
>>62279457
>>>62279260 (OP)
>The AC motor (and a few month later electric fans) was invented in the 80s. The electric fridge was invented in the 10s.
Don't think that's true, my dad had an electric fan in the 70s and I'm sure we had fridges back in the 90s
>>
>>62282183
Good chuckle, here's your (You)
>>
File: 1483534609384.jpg (102KB, 800x994px) Image search: [Google]
1483534609384.jpg
102KB, 800x994px
>>62279260
they both get hot you dumb fuck, read the second fucking law.
>>
>>62279631
>Refrigeration works because you are expanding a high pressure liquid into a low pressure gas
refrigeration cycles dont have to be phase-transition cycles , ones without phase transition would work too.

also fans and air act as a heat pump . heat pumps are orders of magnitude more efficient then any refrigeration cycles . and therefor fans produce less heat for the same cooling then refrigerators .while also requiring less energy to work .
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.