[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chrome OS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: téléchargement.jpg (6KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
téléchargement.jpg
6KB, 259x194px
Hey guys I have a question. I'm a student in need for a computer and i was asking if a Chrome OS one was ok to go to lesson and everything. Like is it not to bad or something ?

Thank you for your help !
>>
>>62265002
What exactly do you expect it to do? What are you majoring in? Does your institution require that you run certain programs? Do you expect it will?
Help me help you, m8
>>
If you just need a web browser and to type up some documents it's a good budget option.

When I was in university I have to use lots of windows only software so double check you don't need minitab or anything like that.

If you are in CS, you'll want a different machine.
>>
It's pretty much designed for students, yes. Make sure it can run the software you need though, it's GNU/Linux.
>>
>>62265149
Im in law class and i dont need anything on my computer except some software to write and take notes.
Some people have macbook and stuff so i dont think windows is needed, but i can't afford that so i'm looking for something like 300-400 € max

>>62265169
what's CS ?

>>62265195
Is GNU/Linux really different from windows ?
>>
>>62265348
You should be fine, then. CS is computer science, in case you're wondering, and ChromeOS is relatively similar to Windows.
>>
>>62265348
Ah. I finished law as well. And with a Chromebook. You'll be fine. Note taking is actually decent on Chromebooks but you'll need an internet connection. For humanities Chromebooks are a good, budget friendly option. They suck for computer science or engineering, though.
>>
>>62266207
I'll need a internet connection to take notes ? I can't download some text software or stuff ?
>>
File: 1459224889878.jpg (116KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1459224889878.jpg
116KB, 800x600px
>>62266520
buy a chromebook and install xubuntu on it, its easy and you can do much more with it and you dont have a botnet OS. You can still use all the jewgle stuff like on any other OS. I personally would buy an older thinkpad, much better keyboard and thats what you need for taking notes
>>
>>62266520
I think you can. It just won't sync up.
But I have to say: you don't actually download"software" per se but chrome apps which are generally made for use with an internet connection. Some work offline as well. Google docs works offline so that's good.
>>
>>62266520
Yeah you can, you have google docs offline version AFAIK, you should be fine.
>>
>>62266701
OP if you're reading don't do this
It's a bunch of unnecessary work unless you're some paranoid schizo
Like you said, you just need a laptop to write software and notes
>>
>>62266701
Dude you're either trolling or you haven't read the whole thread. You're talking to a guy who doesn't know what CS means. And you're recommending an used Thinkpad with xubuntu... It won't work for him
>>
>>62266701
Jesus christ dude, old thinkpads are fucking huge and their battery life is utter shit compared to chromebooks/tablets/ultrabooks of today. For note taking you need a light, portable machine that will last 8 hours on a charge so you don't have to constantly look for stupid power outlets. Chromebooks generally fit the bill.
>>
>>62265195
Going a bit off topic here: Does chrome really use GNU? I know Google did stuff to Android, but I'm not sure about ChromeOS.
>>
>>62266924
Yes. Chrome OS is actually based on Gentoo believe it or not.
As a proof(it's no secret though) vim for chrome OS will say Gentoo. I mean the one in crosh not the chrome app.
>>
>>62266994
Still me. However for some freaking reason OS usage statistics don't take chrome OS as being a Linux distro. If they would, Linux would be close to macOS market share
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.