[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Physical Audio Formats

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

File: minidisc.jpg (68KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
minidisc.jpg
68KB, 900x600px
So what just is the best physical audio format? I want to be able to have my favorite music separate from my main drive and backups in a medium that I can hold. What are my options?
Currently I'm making the decision between minidisc and cassette tapes. Let's have a discussion about the best way of going about this niche hobby.
>>
Spotfy
>>
File: 1503884478191.jpg (138KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1503884478191.jpg
138KB, 1024x768px
kyassettes over md.
>>
mp3 on a jump drive
>>
>>62256861
Any reason why though? Should I go extra and get DAT cassettes for digital goodness or should I accept the degradation that will come over time with an analog device?
>>
MQS is the best physical format
>>
>>62256888
Do you just want some retro tech or do you actually want to use the device? In terms of usability then cassette is much better than MD. DAT shouldn't even be an option.

Cassettes and decent players can sound great, blank media is cheap, new releases are plentiful. If you're going to transfer digital music to a portable player I don't see the point of using physical media like MD. You might as well transfer it to an SD card and use a digital pmp.
>>
SACD/Blu Ray Audio
>>
>>62256937
I want both. I kinda think the idea behind minidisc is cool because its the quality of a cd with the portability of a cassette.
I'll be copying all my music myself so I didn't take new releases into consideration.
The reason I want a more physical version is because I want something to hold, thats really all it is. It's totally autistic and inconvenient but I wouldn't be using it exclusively.
>>
>>62256679
3D print your music, take the dust from that gramophone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQi8FUsZ8OY
>>
>>62256967
How is blu ray audio?
Is it better than regular cds, a quick google search leads me to believe that sacd is worse than bluray.
>>
File: 10405221.jpg (192KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
10405221.jpg
192KB, 1500x1500px
>>62256679
>in a medium that I can hold
>>
>>62257004
I didn't make it obvious but
>printing labels
>>
>>62256992
SACD is the best quality and overall mixing of the audio you can get for most popular artists from the 60s and onward. Theres only a few blu ray audio albums but they're all pretty good, like In Utero. A lot of blu ray audio cds are from more independent bands/artists, a lot of niche stuff but still sounds great nonetheless
>>
>>62256888
>>62256893

actually if you want the absolute best sound on a consumer physical format the answer is the 24bit DAT on the Tascam DA-45HR

http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/292/DA-45HR_TECHDOC.pdf
>>
File: autism.jpg (80KB, 606x412px) Image search: [Google]
autism.jpg
80KB, 606x412px
>>62256973
Thats even more retarded than what I'm asking for
on a side note do you think those guys get paid to do that?
>>
>>62257078
You can put music on the sacd yourself right?
>>
>>62257081
People in that forum or at least that bob katz guy was talking about degradation and playability. Is that gonna have to be a problem in the future.
>>
>>62257111
Considering SACDs arent RW then I wouldn't think so. Either way you don't really benefit from it. You could probably download sacd rips and put them on blu ray cds though, and a ps3 could probably read it. As long as you havent updated it in a while the sacd decode feature should still be there.
>>
solidstate storage.
flac with sample rate of choice.
as a consumer, you do not need anything above 16/44.
>>
>>62257184
I already do this. Thanks though.
>>
>>62256679
why play back a recording when you can have the actual instruments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UpriHcn_xs
>>
>>62257182
Funny how I was considering getting a ps3 anyway.
See the main thing for me is being able to put my own favorite music on whatever format I decide to choose. For example. I doubt nujabes is ever planning on releasing his stuff on sacd.
>>
File: acoustic child.jpg (18KB, 248x248px) Image search: [Google]
acoustic child.jpg
18KB, 248x248px
>>62257243
>implying
>>
File: r-n095_SD_01_456x304.jpg (10KB, 456x304px) Image search: [Google]
r-n095_SD_01_456x304.jpg
10KB, 456x304px
>>62257225
i just read the rest of your posts.
if you don't mind putting some work in, having a collection of pic-relateds could be cool.

you can slot in inserts as well if you get the right case.
>>
>>62257279
I've thought about this one too. It is a good cheap alternative to the other stuff I've been suggesting too.
Are there any PMPs that can hot swap fullsize sdcards?
also
>DURR wHAt BRANd SD CARds haV EBST OSUnd QUALiTY
>>
>>62257279
Even still it's only slightly better than this guy's idea>>62257004
>>
>>62257333
>>62257352
i'd say it's a reasonable compromise.
enough space for reasonably sized art + portability. can't help out with a specific pmp model tho - you'll probably be looking at older hardware.

spares you having to be 'that guy with the walkman', unless you don't give a shit about that, in which case more power to you.
>>
>>62256969
Seems like silly retro fetishism. Not that cassettes aren't but those are arguably more distinct than digital formats.

Just buy a blank mini disc and play with it then when you're bored buy a DAP.
>>
>>62257414
lol you're probably right
>>
>>62256679
compact discs
>>
>>62257404
>playing music in public
especially in a place where you'll be easily recognized and stereotyped like college, I'll pass.
this is more of a home thing
>>
>>62256764
>physical

Would sd cards count?
id imagine they would be good
>>
>>62257919
ignore i didnt read rest of thread
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.