[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/eeks. So I want to sell some HDDs and SSDs on ebay. Obviously

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: emf.jpg (19KB, 425x283px) Image search: [Google]
emf.jpg
19KB, 425x283px
Hey /g/eeks.
So I want to sell some HDDs and SSDs on ebay. Obviously I'm going to write zeros to them all since there is personal data on them like my passport etc.
My question is if the data can still be recovered by EMF readings? Do I just have to do it multiple times or is there no way to protect myself from that? Do people who buy memory devices just for the purpose of data recovery even have access to that kind of tech or is it too big of a hassle?

I know that /g/ is >NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.
However I didn't find anything on the wiki. I would really appreciate if you could help me out here.
>>
>>62247842
>However I didn't find anything on the wiki.
And the rest of the internet? Surely someone else will have asked that question, no?
>>
>>62247873
Well I didn't find anything, so I guess this shouldn't be a concern.
Still, would this be possible?
>>
>>62247842
Use GNU/shred and your data is destroyed even for most forensic data recovery techniques.
>>
>>62247842
DBAN
>>
>>62247842
SSDs just have that command that wipes them. Dont believe any recovery possible after that.

HDDs I would use DBAN with either zeros or random bits. You can do multiple passes but probably waste of time.

Just curious, why do you have multiple drives you are selling?
>>
>>62247842
>My question is if the data can still be recovered by EMF readings?

the people who charge government agencies $22,000 to recover data say they can. realistically, no.
>>
delete everything from the drive, copy a large file - like, oh, i don't know, Barbarella.avi to the drive. rename it, copy another copy onto the drive, keep copying and renaming until there isn't enough room for one more. then choose a smaller file and do the same until the filesystem says it's had enough. delete everything again, and when they go to recover the data, they'll think you're a lot older than you actually are.
>>
>>62249468
Retarded.
>>
>>62247842
Okay, gonna help you out here.
For HDDs, use shred to wipe it 3 times w/ random data. Create empty mbr after - many normies will think that HDD is broken because Windows doesn't see it.

As for SSD, Google arch SSD wipe and do a full TRIM. After that, all data is gone. Again, create a new mbr.

If your HDD is big, look into shred alternatives. Shred is notorious for being slow.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.