[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Game Development Freelancer Question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: discord_quote.jpg (11KB, 404x49px) Image search: [Google]
discord_quote.jpg
11KB, 404x49px
I am a part of a game development studio that works on development outsourcing to support other developers with their games.

I was speaking with one developer who posted an ad in a Reddit/Discord style community who was looking for a couple of developers for a one year project for a PC FPS game. Our studio is the cheapest outsourcing studio on the market due to a couple of reasons, one of them being our location. As such, I question when someone says we are too expensive. Most people who tell us we are too expensive just stop talking to us after that, but 1 told me just how much the difference was. For a large scale project of a year or longer building a number of systems and multiplayer and such for a large scale FPS in this case would have been about US$100,000. Nothing to sneeze at, but relatively cheap as far as full length projects are concerned. However, this developer (lead of a large studio of almost 25 developers) said he had someone willing to build all the base systems (movement, aiming, shooting, interaction, etc.), AI, multiplayer systems, and full level design of 2 levels all for US$600.

That is a TON of work for NOTHING. What am I missing? How common is this? There is no way this is reasonable. The person I talked to did not use this to try and get us to lower the price, he was stating it as fact and was done talking to us after that. There is no way this is something seriously deliverable. What is the deal with this?
>>
That kind of outsourcing probably could exist and would cripple the industry if it were more widespread. I doubt he’s telling the truth but you should avoid anyone that takes that price at face value.
>>
Bump! im curious about this
>>
>>62245358
two possibilities:

1. Everybody involved in this deal is an idiot and it will fall apart in a week once reality hits.

2. He's talking about $600 an hour (or maybe day.) Not impossible for an expert contractor.
>>
>>62245358

I'm not into game stuff, but you get a professional webdev for 60$ / hour. So I guess he is talking about how much per day?

From the few things I know about gamedev, it's a highly competitive field, but " (movement, aiming, shooting, interaction, etc.), AI, multiplayer systems, and full level design of 2 levels" sounds like a month of work. 600$ would be really ridiculous for that, that's how much you do as waiter if you work 20 hours/week.

Don't trust anything on the internet.
Ever.
>>
>>62246155
OP here.

He isn't talking about anything per hour or day or anything. If that was the case then it would not be incredibly less than what we offered. I agree that I think this deal will fall apart but I just don't know. This seems to be something that is coming up more and more on Reddit/Discord style service spots.
>>
>>62245358
Well what could simply be the case is that they're russians. C-tier programmers would prolly earn 300/month. So that's 2 months of time.
Not enough for everything listed though.
>>
more like steal other developers' games and make it "for them", see instead of letting them finish their own.

This company was the one that took down Xbox and PS Network and got all your info. They join it, "hack it", see usb, and then make some invalid claim so that the industry moves in that direction. The company is called Trion and the Law firm is Schwimmer, I believe. They pretend to work with the military but really they just have a boy in their midst that plays video games with a bunch of military officials and privates and he uses their savvy to push buttons around. Tekken sucks with people like you in it. 3rd strike fell because of you people in it. Go away. I'll bring it all back when you're gone. I don't want you dead. I just want you out of it. No talking. You can play. I don't care. Just shut up.
>>
is there a tech demo? otherwise scam.
>>
>>62248964
wtf?
>>
>>62248965
OP here.

You must have read something wrong. There isn't a tech demo because they were looking to hire programmers to help them build the game. They had designs and graphics. The game wasn't for sale, they were looking to hire. 0 cause for them to make a demo public. You do not hand off tech demos to someone you are trying to hire.
>>
>>62249721
well yes, but how do they know this Programmer is actually not a nigerian prince?
>>
Unity does huge number of things for free. Selling game mechanics is the next step.
>>
OP here.

Just got an email, it's a scam to get credit card info.
Thread over.
>>
>>62250484
Actual OP here.

There is no credit card anything involved. No emails involved either. Nice try though.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.