[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to start a website? Help a looser.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: 1- 2001 A Space Odyssey.jpg (181KB, 1559x756px) Image search: [Google]
1- 2001 A Space Odyssey.jpg
181KB, 1559x756px
Dudes i've been messing with electronics all my life and finally feel i want to get myself out there with a website-

Thing is i don't have a clue where to start. I know i need a domain, but where do i get one? What is hosting? Is there some step by step guide somewhere i can follow?

Also i'm poor as fuck, so what is the cheapest alternative?
>>
She's a very popular Koder, you can trust her.
https://youtu.be/QFXnuhVLtEs
>>
>>62230561
I'd rather write my own website :/ That's not the problem. I just don't know where to start. Or what the necessary components are
>>
>>62230592
Just use Wordpress, "how 2 get a werdpress site", put that into Google and you're off.
>>
>>62230524
have u used google to see how u do what ever u want to do u fucking nigger?
>>
>>62230524
If you just want a blog or similar, wordpress.com offers free domains, so that's an option(and the premium plan is pretty cheap as well). Other than that, using namecheap.com or similar service, a domain name costs around $10/year. For hosting, digitalocean ( https://m.do.co/c/32777e8e9632 ) or similar costs $5/month for a basic VPS(or $10/month for something good enough to host sql-database). Then you just need to pick the operating system, install and configure apache(or nginx) and other components(such as firewall), then it's just a matter uploading your website onto the server and pointing the domain to its IP. If you're familiar with Linux, it's not too hard to do, and it's not hard to find tutorials for any steps you're not sure of.
>>
Learn HTML, CSS and Javascript. Look on the Web Development General threads for domain names and hosting services.

I just use GoDaddy for domains. I'm sure there are cheaper and better places but it will only run you a couple of bucks unless you pick something with a bunch of common words in it.

I use Linode for hosting right now but if you want something that you don't have to do too much work to setup a lot of people still swear by Hostgator. You can easily get hosting for under 10 bucks a month.

That's why I learned website design and development myself, because I needed a website for my band and I was too broke to pay someone else to do it.
>>
>>62230633
u nu bu u niggu
>>
>>62230658
Ah, just what i was looking for. Thank you!
>>
>>62230658
>(((refcodes)))
Disregard this post.
>>
>>62230524
1) buy a domain from namecheap
2)get account from x10hosting
3)configure domain paramenters
4)build a website using the program you find in x10hosting.
>>
>>62230664
Linode is by far the best vps I've ever used.
>>
freehosting.com is a pile of shit, but if you're doing something basic you can use them and always transfer the domain away once you outgrow what they offer (it's actually free)
>>
>>62230658
Oh, and if you don't know how to make a website, https://www.w3schools.com/ has pretty good tutorials and reference material for that.
>>
>>62230561
wtf
i thought the screenshot where she mentions wix was a fake edit but it turns out to be real??
what the fuck
>>
>>62230524
Neocities, free as freedom, totally configurable.
Ps. Don't use JS, make internet great again
>>
>>62230524
for a very basic webserver you might also look into hosting apache on a raspberry pi if you want to get into some linux as well. gets you into learning about dyndns and how to access your shit from everywhere.

for basic websites, if you want to learn it from the ground up you can easily go the old way, get some apache package like LAMPP or WAMPP as a local server emulator and just put your html into the folders, start it and watch the result in localhost.

Start with basic HTML, shine it up with CSS, and I know people will hate me for it but for dynamic shit I still use PHP.
I started Webdev some time 2007 and stopped inbetween so I never got into all the hipster shit like jquery and all the libraries and frameworks.
>>
>>62230658
Why would he want a vps if he wants to make a website
>>
>>62230962
If anything ever implies that she's retarded, you can be one hundred point exactly zero percent sure that it's true
>>
>>62231635
Because that's how you generally host one?
>>
go to /wdg/ for links
Learn some HTML and CSS and atleast Principles of JS and calling it in HTML. Focus on when and how it loads, because doing it wrong makes the website really slow.
Learn at least one CSS preprocessing, this makes CSS maintainable as normally it does not come with variables, templating, nesting etc.
Choose language for backend. Some trend is to use JS with Node.js or Ruby. Personally hate both. You might have seen Erlang/Elixir, those are nice but unless you want realtime latency across several machines, ignore them. Go is really good for this and there are a few good free books. PHP if you want a job and live outside murica.
Is Heroku currently the only free hosting???
Git is lit, Docker is for having consistent enviroment on your local machine and server. But if you use Go its runtime is quite crossplatform so no need to bother with it now.
Learn basics of SQL. Regarding theory and how to design your database, learn term "normalization". For simple data storage you really only need basics though.
learn what you can do with HTTP protocol, MVC architecture and routing
get better sources that shitpostboard, wiki.installgentoo.com -> Programming Resources -> link to list of free books -> something about webdev in your desired language
>>
Use FreeBSD for the OS if you get a VPS for hosting
>>
>>62230524
wix.com
>>
<!doctype html>
>>
>>62233405
<!doctype html>
<html>
<head>
<meta charset="utf-8">
[/code
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.